What do advanced homebrewers ferment 10 gallon batches in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main fermenter is a 15 gallon Corny Keg. My backup is a Sanke.

BS2.0.jpg

Like a few others, half barrel sanke is my go to with the 15 gal batches. Just threw 15 gal of chocolate oatmeal stout on a weaker brown ale yeast cake and it was blowing off within 2 hours. If you ever find one.. get it for fermenting.

Sorry if this is too OT, but for those splitting into 2 fermenters how do you split a yeast starter in half? I can't see myself doing it evenly.

usually when I'm splitting a batch, it's different yeasts that I'm playing with.:rockin: but if I want to use the same yeast, I'll ferment the whole thing in my conical then split into 2 bulk age vessels and play with oak/spices/dry hop...

I use a sanke with a brewers hardware adapter and a 60L Speidel Pastic Fermenter. My ferm chamber is on wheels, I roll it over to the brew stand and pump it in, I rack to kegs with co2.

I use my 12.5 gallon conical if I'm making a single beer from one wort. If I want to split it and use a different yeast or syrup I'll use my plastic buckets. Or sometimes I'll brew 15 gallons, use the conical for a single beer and a bucket for something different.

Sorry if this is too OT, but for those splitting into 2 fermenters how do you split a yeast starter in half? I can't see myself doing it evenly.
You can put the wort in one large vessel to start, add the yeast and then pour into 2 different vessels.
I usually just eyeball the yeast and try to get half into each flask, but then I'll pour the liquid from flask to flask several times to equalize and oxygenate it.

Sanke. I go into it at flame out and cap it with a TC cap to use the no-chill method now. I've waited a couple of weeks to pitch yeast with great results; break the vacuum seal and pitch away. Brewing gets simpler with fewer parts.

Back