What did I just brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegcitybrewer

Reaction score
So my recipe was originally based on an oatmeal stout recipe but I've changed the grain bill a bit and I'm wondering if it still qualifies as a stout or if that's almost academic.

Recipe was:

3.2 kg LME
750 g maris otter
750 g flaked oats
400 g caramel 77*L
300 g pale chocolate
200 g black malt

4 oz cocoa nibs and 2 vanilla beans are going in the secondary next week. Just curious if this still counts as a stout or if we're in porter territory?

The best way to tell will be when its brewed and you taste it. Will the roastiness rise to the level of a stout or will it be more restrained as in a porter? Let your palate guide you.

Id say porter territory. Traditionally, stouts have a decent amount of roasted barley but thats by no means a prerequisite. But from my estimate, that much pale chocolate and black malt will likely be much mroe porter-like

Plugged the recipe into BrewR and it appears to match Imperial Stout. Darker than any Porter and higher OG 1.077 than even an Extra Stout. Did you take an OG?

Back