What did I do to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
Haven't had to ask a newb question for a while but...
I was boiled my wort for a good 15 minutes and went in side. I came back with 45 minutes into the boil and realized that for some reason it was no longer boiling. I brought the flame back to full and got it back to a boil. I'm not sure how long it wasn't boiling for but I just got it up to boil, added my flavor hop addition and continued as normal.

I figure, worse case scenario, I'll have a higher than anticipated gravity, and maybe not as much bitterness.

Any other possible ill effects?

No big deal if it was extract. If it was all-grain, you might have produced a lot of DMS depending on your grain bill.

DMS is also a possibility. One reason you want a good rolling boil is to boil off DMS precursors.

Also... you fired up your burner, got your wort boiling and then left for a half hour?

Forgive my ignorance, what's DMS?
I made sure it wouldn't boil over, then went inside, it was cold as balls out.

It tends to be more noticeable in the finished beer, since fresh wort is much more aromatic.

This really only happens if you boil with the lid on or dont have a boil, i guess. And i would guess no boil at all. Ive done 20 min boils and not had the corn d beef and cabbage syndrome although it is getting closer to St. patty's day.

This really only happens if you boil with the lid on or dont have a boil, i guess. And i would guess no boil at all. Ive done 20 min boils and not had the corn d beef and cabbage syndrome although it is getting closer to St. patty's day.
And it was an Irish Red:rockin:

Ha thats funny.But i should have known. I just made a Irish red Draught! and an Irish Blonde tommarrow in the works, I just received a huge shipment from Northern Brewing today got like 4 months worth of beer to make every week in 2 gal. increments. Mind is spinnin!

Latest posts

Back