What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the source of the recipe:
https://littlespoonfarm.com/sourdou...USLPvxLAUMp0#sourdough-english-muffins-recipeWhat I did differently from the first batch was made them smaller by cutting circles with an empty veggitable can rather than an empty ricotta cheese can (the way it comes from a Brooklyn shop), I accidentally ommited the sugar (no problem) and used a 1/3 cup starter that doubled overnight. Did some stretch and fold with the dough rather than simply kneading the dough wanting a more open crumb. The rest is in the recipe. Thanks again to @Brewbuzzard for the first post of sourdough English muffin.
Thanks so much!! Can't wait to give this a try!

BFECB3C3-1C7C-4EC5-91C4-FF784E1984B4.jpeg
Yeah a little rare, but I don’t mind. With polenta and salad.

Yeah a little rare, but I don’t mind. With polenta and salad.
It looks perfect.
We have some relatives who want any meat cooked well done (burgers, filet mignon, prime rib). Burgers are easy--just cook them through for the guest.
For the rest, I have a pot of boiling or near boiling au jus ready, slice a piece on the thin side and dunk it for 30 seconds or so. They're happy, I'm happy they're happy.

It looks perfect.
We have some relatives who want any meat cooked well done (burgers, filet mignon, prime rib). Burgers are easy--just cook them through for the guest.
For the rest, I have a pot of boiling or near boiling au jus ready, slice a piece on the thin side and dunk it for 30 seconds or so. They're happy, I'm happy they're happy.
I just don’t get people that want good cuts of beef like filet and prime rib well done and ruined. Hamburgers I like medium rare too, but from a place I trust. Bottom line for me is I’d rather have red meat a little undercooked than over cooked. (unless it’s pot roast, stew or any cut that is better well cooked.)

KOTC and I have finally come to a compromise on meat that is acceptable to both of us - 135* and let it rest a couple minutes. I prefer mine very rare, he always preferred his medium to medium well, but since we usually split one thick ribeye, it had to be done! But you can bet when I order a steak out it's RARE!

I don't get well-done either. There is neither juice nor flavor in it and the stuff is like chewing shoe leather (or at least what I imagine it would be like....)

KOTC and I have finally come to a compromise on meat that is acceptable to both of us - 135* and let it rest a couple minutes. I prefer mine very rare, he always preferred his medium to medium well, but since we usually split one thick ribeye, it had to be done! But you can bet when I order a steak out it's RARE!

I don't get well-done either. There is neither juice nor flavor in it and the stuff is like chewing shoe leather (or at least what I imagine it would be like....)
My parents liked pink in the middle, which they thought was “medium” until they ordered a medium steak from a NYC steakhouse and got an education. I took over the grilling around age 14 because even with a gas grill, dad would cook beef to the black charr well done stage, his grilling was never good, mostly because he’d wander off to do something and only return to the grill when black smoke was billowing from it.

That's a good compromise. My wife is a vegetarian so I'm lucky. You could try my method--hot au jus. I don't want to be forward, rude or be butting in, you understand, so take my comment lightly.
Cheers.

My parents liked pink in the middle, which they thought was “medium” until they ordered a medium steak from a NYC steakhouse and got an education. I took over the grilling around age 14 because even with a gas grill, dad would cook beef to the black charr well done stage, his grilling was never good, mostly because he’d wander off to do something and only return to the grill when black smoke was billowing from it.
Outback Steakhouse gets a +1 for having their wait staff tell customers upfront what the degree of doneness really means (my wife worked there as a waiter for some years). Great idea.
Since we've stayed with this subject a bit, I'll spill--my parents cooked everything well past well-done. I always appreciated being fed and I'm not complaining. Food was edible and I grew properly from eating the food in the house.
Culturally, I think meat posed a safety issue for the poor and the solution was 170°F or higher (or whatever the bacteria/microbe killing temp is). That point has carried over to today. My parents were a good example--fear of eating "undercooked" meat.
I'm sure the cheaper meat was probably old, tougher and thus were born techniques to make the meat appealing and tasty. The idea of pink meat being "bad" has carried through the decades. The problem is not as relevant now as then but it has stuck.
All my black neighbors want any burgers I cook WD (we have a good relationship with the six or seven houses around us). It's just the way it is. My game is to make it just brown to save as much juiciness as possible.
I live in an area that's about 500:1 if not 1000:1 I don't actually know. I rarely see a white person. black to white to the point where if I see a white person, I get suspicious. Now isn't that amusing?

Outback Steakhouse gets a +1 for having their wait staff tell customers upfront what the degree of doneness really means (my wife worked there as a waiter for some years). Great idea.
Since we've stayed with this subject a bit, I'll spill--my parents cooked everything well past well-done. I always appreciated being fed and I'm not complaining. Food was edible and I grew properly from eating the food in the house.
Culturally, I think meat posed a safety issue for the poor and the solution was 170°F or higher (or whatever the bacteria/microbe killing temp is). That point has carried over to today. My parents were a good example--fear of eating "undercooked" meat.
I'm sure the cheaper meat was probably old, tougher and thus were born techniques to make the meat appealing and tasty. The idea of pink meat being "bad" has carried through the decades. The problem is not as relevant now as then but it has stuck.
All my black neighbors want any burgers I cook WD (we have a good relationship with the six or seven houses around us). It's just the way it is. My game is to make it just brown to save as much juiciness as possible.
I live in an area that's about 500:1 if not 1000:1 I don't actually know. I rarely see a white person. black to white to the point where if I see a white person, I get suspicious. Now isn't that amusing?
There’s only one place I’ve been to outback where the staf didn’t give ”the talk” Omaha NE! There’s a comedian that does a bit, something like why in the hell in beef country do they not know the best was to eat beef!? I ordered med-rare at that outback and at least it was still pink and had some juiciness. In Omaha, Texas Roadhouse does a better job of cooking to order.
6756CAEF-25D7-4118-BAF6-086B61E71DFD.jpeg

Tonight while it was snlowing and blowing the oven was on for this boneless pork loin and from scratch almond cake.
43673731-FAB6-459F-8DAE-F0573F5D17C6.jpeg

There’s only one place I’ve been to outback where the staf didn’t give ”the talk” Omaha NE! There’s a comedian that does a bit, something like why in the hell in beef country do they not know the best was to eat beef!? I ordered med-rare at that outback and at least it was still pink and had some juiciness. In Omaha, Texas Roadhouse does a better job of cooking to order.
Irony, right?

Boy, Merry, that looks so good!

I made a rack of lamb last night, and we had some mashed sweet potato that is put out by Kevin's foods. It was pretty good. Still prefer a roasted sweet potato split between the two of us.

KOTC will eat his steak medium rare now but he really likes his lamb rare! Me too! Sorry for the messy platter but we were anxious to EAT THIS.
474B2D34-0567-41D0-B89E-CE8EF981C636.jpeg

Felt like some soup today so I made a pot of ham and potato soup. Served with a slice of kalamata olive sour dough bread with butter.
The soup is both real easy to make, and real tasty to eat.

View attachment 757469
Soup looks great, but the bread looks amazing!! (of course, I just washed a couple of mason jars to get a starter going again :) )

Boy, Merry, that looks so good!

I made a rack of lamb last night, and we had some mashed sweet potato that is put out by Kevin's foods. It was pretty good. Still prefer a roasted sweet potato split between the two of us.

KOTC will eat his steak medium rare now but he really likes his lamb rare! Me too! Sorry for the messy platter but we were anxious to EAT THIS.View attachment 757696
We that's over the top mouthwateringly awesome!! I really wish my wife would eat lamb. Maybe I can cook it for all the kids and fix wife some chicken nuggets or something (like I used to have to do for my kids a long time ago!!). :) (P.S. Love roasted sweet taters too!)

Did not really cook much of anything this weekend. Burgers on the grill with some sauteed mushrooms last night was about it. But we did go eat tacos at Mi Concina with all the kids and two grandsons before we went on Saturday to the Dallas Children's Theater production of Dragons Love Tacos!! And a good time was had by all :)

Note to self: 5PM is too late to start a Dutch oven full of lasagna. For someone who gets up at 5am every week day, eating dinner at 8 is a bit too late. But it was definitely worth it!

View attachment 757852
Some excellent crispy edges there not a pasta guy but lasagna is the one that is something I could eat once a week. Leftovers frozen single portion great 1/2hr lunch break meals.

I get up at five and eat at 9pm put in 45-50 hrs a week. Then early morning Saturday for fishing. Sleep in Sunday. Of course this schedule is creating a blurred time line. A year ago seems more than two years ago.😀

Night before last night was pizza night :)
IMG_7675.jpg
66554284096__8EFCA7BF-3EC6-45CF-83FD-9F4C792DCA11.jpg

I've got this thin crispy cracker like crust recipe dialed in now :)

Winter storm hit during pizza dinner. Heat pump compressor broke during the night. Secondary heating coils are broken probably since last year's 0 degree stuff we had here in north Texas. But with a fire going we have managed to stay at 59 degrees and guys will fix the issues today, so we are really doing pretty well :) Left over Pizza last night of course!

Back