What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been mushroom season here all year. Easily over a foot and a half above the rain average Never had chanterelles in this yard but I had to give away I had so many.

Brother stopped by on Friday just after another rainstorm. Noticed these babies had returned and several colonies around the old oak.

He's a landscaper and says my yard is too wild.
I should rip up all the wildflowers and shrubs. Lay down a bunch of mulch to cover it all up.

Ummm no.

View attachment 743677View attachment 743678View attachment 743679View attachment 743680View attachment 743681

Mmmm bacon Sean :) Actually just joking. Those are string beans.
😕 well that's some VERY Bacony-ish looking green beans...Bacon....Bacon...😭😭😭😭

All the last generational folks on my mom's side of the family were Kintukee hillbillies and knew how to pick edible wild plants. My aunt taught me as a youngen how to pick edible mushrooms. But every time I'd look at them, visions of Clint Eastwood eating poison mushrooms in The Beguiled would flood thru my mind. No sir no Mame ! I'll get mine at Kroger thank you very much !

Took bread dough, rolled thin, and made big rectangle between 2 sheets of parchment, and then made rows of salami and pepperoni on one half, topped with cheese, flipped un topped half over the half with toppings, and crimped a little and cooked on parchment. Was surprisingly good. Crisp from steel and the california olive ranch California evoo is nice.
20210926_140900.jpg
20210926_135808.jpg
20210926_140904.jpg

It's been mushroom season here all year. Easily over a foot and a half above the rain average Never had chanterelles in this yard but I had to give away I had so many.

Brother stopped by on Friday just after another rainstorm. Noticed these babies had returned and several colonies around the old oak.

I should rip up all the wildflowers and shrubs. Lay down a bunch of mulch to cover it all up.

Ummm no.

I wasn't aware that they grew in clusters over there. Been hunting Chicken of the Woods over here; however, no luck yet. I need to get out in the woods again...if it wasn't nearly 100f and smoky :(

Ummm no.

View attachment 743677View attachment 743678View attachment 743679View attachment 743680View attachment 743681

Mmmm bacon Sean :) Actually just joking. Those are string beans.
I wasn't aware that they grew in clusters over there. Been hunting Chicken of the Woods over here; however, no luck yet. I need to get out in the woods again...if it wasn't nearly 100f and smoky :(
That's how I've usually seen them grow here. My woods are 90% tall white pine and this batch is around two old oak trees so maybe that's why these hens like it there. The first time I discovered them the main cluster was the size of a beach ball. Notice the coffee can for size reference I've not tried to touch that area as they seem to like it there. They've never gotten that big since the first year I think that one weighed on at 12 lbs. All very healthy and about 4 other medium clusters.
Screenshot_20210927-205112.png

I'll plan hikes after rain this time of the year and the majority of time come back with nothing. I sit on my front steps and then notice all kinds of stuff. Maybe it's a message to slow down.

Plenty of hems in my area. I even noticed more in my neighbors yard and there's one huge batch of chicken about 30' up on a tree above my neighbors road. Disappeared in the last tropical storm tho.

Good mushroom soup season.

That's how I've usually seen them grow here. My woods are 90% tall white pine and this batch is around two old oak trees so maybe that's why these hens like it there. The first time I discovered them the main cluster was the size of a beach ball. Notice the coffee can for size reference I've not tried to touch that area as they seem to like it there. They've never gotten that big since the first year I think that one weighed on at 12 lbs. All very healthy and about 4 other medium clusters.
View attachment 743874

I'll plan hikes after rain this time of the year and the majority of time come back with nothing. I sit on my front steps and then notice all kinds of stuff. Maybe it's a message to slow down.

Plenty of hems in my area. I even noticed more in my neighbors yard and there's one huge batch of chicken about 30' up on a tree above my neighbors road. Disappeared in the last tropical storm tho.

Good mushroom soup season.

I'm 2.5hrs East of the old place so virgin to the area, but I know a guy who knows where the morels are. Imma hold out until Spring.

If we ever get rain again, I'll be in the woods asap...kinda waiting for the smoke to blow away before I hit the trails now.

Nice at-home foraging :)

That looks and sounds fantastic! What's your process? I make homemade pizzas all the time but we gave up on stromboli because with everyone we've made the dough on the inside was mushy and not fully cooked, even cooking the outside to just about burnt. All different times and temps.

Rao's makes great stuff, both sauce and dry pasta. Pricey, but worth the money when you need it.

Sorry, I saw this a while back, remembered it was there, and am just now getting to responding. I have a very complicated Stromboli recipe that I have never tried, and did not want to mess with this night, so I googled around and found this one from SallysBakingAddiction. I am really please with this dough recipe for a quick pizza dough, if you do not have time for an preferment or an overnight or multi-day ferment. Quite tasty and cooked evenly through to the center.

Stromboli – SallysBakingAddiction

Ingredients

Dough:

• 1 and 1/3 cups (320ml) warm water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)
  • 2 and 1/4 teaspoons instant or active-dry yeast (1 standard packet)
  • 1 Tablespoon (13g) granulated sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 and 1/2 cups (438g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled), plus more for hands and work surface
Fillings:

• 3 Tablespoons (43g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
  • 1 pound thinly sliced meats such as Italian cold cuts, deli ham, or large pepperoni slices*
  • 3/4 – 1 pound cheese (about 3 cups shredded or about 16-20 slices deli cheese)*
Toppings:

• egg wash: 1 large egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon water
  • optional: a light sprinkle of chopped fresh or dried parsley, flaky/coarse sea salt, ground pepper, Italian seasoning, and/or grated or shredded parmesan cheese
Directions

• Whisk the warm water, yeast, and granulated sugar together in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook or paddle attachment. Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes. *If you don’t have a stand mixer, simply use a large mixing bowl and mix the dough with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula in the next step.
  • Add the olive oil, salt, and flour. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 3-4 minutes (for a visual, watch me do it in the video above!). The dough can be a little too heavy for a mixer to knead it, but you can certainly use the mixer on low speed instead. After kneading, the dough should still feel a little soft. Poke it with your finger – if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
  • Lightly grease a large bowl with oil or nonstick spray– just use the same bowl you used for the dough. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until double in size. If using instant yeast, this takes about 1 hour. (Tip: For the warm environment on a particularly cold day, heat your oven to 150°F (66°C). Turn the oven off, place the dough inside, and keep the door slightly ajar. This will be a warm environment for your dough to rise. After about 30 minutes, close the oven door to trap the air inside with the rising dough. When it’s doubled in size, remove from the oven.)
  • Preheat oven to 400°F (204°). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  • Shape the dough: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release the air. Divide in half. (If you aren’t making 2 strombolis, freeze the other half of dough. See freezing instructions below.) On a lightly floured work surface using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll each half of dough into a 10×16 inch rectangle. I like to use my hands to square off the edges, as shown in the video above. If the dough keeps shrinking as you try to shape it, cover it lightly and let the dough rest for 10 minutes before trying again. (The gluten just needs to settle.)
  • Add fillings: Mix melted butter and garlic together. Spread all over each rectangle. Sprinkle each with parsley. When you start layering on meats and cheeses, leave a 1 inch border on the bottom and sides and a 3 inch border on top. (Basically you’ll have an empty 3×16 inch gap on top that only has butter/garlic on it. This is because when rolling, the fillings will be pushed forward. See photos and video above if you need a visual.) Arrange a layer sliced meats onto each dough, usually about 8-10 slices on each depending on size and thickness of slices. Add a layer of cheese. Repeat with more meat and cheese until all is used– about 1/2 pound meat and 1/2 pound cheese per stromboli. Brush all edges with egg wash, including 3 inch gap at the top. This helps the stromboli hold its rolled shape. Slowly roll each into a tight 16 inch log, folding in the two ends as you roll. See me do this in the video above. Dust your hands or the dough with flour if things become too sticky. Carefully transfer each to lined baking sheets. Pinch or tuck in ends to seal if they became unfolded.
  • Brush each stromboli with egg wash and, if desired, optional toppings. Using a very sharp knife, cut 3-4 slits into the tops of each, which helps steam escape. At this point, you can cover shaped stromboli tightly and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
  • Bake for about 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown– if you have an instant read thermometer, the center of the stromboli should be at least 200ºF (93ºC). If meats are particularly greasy (like pepperoni), some grease will spill out the sides. Cheese may bubble out the sides or top slits, too. If baking both at the same time, rotate pans halfway through baking and extend bake time (if needed) by 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cutting board and slicing.
  • Serve plain or with pizza/marinara sauce for dipping.
  • Cover and store leftover stromboli (slices or whole) in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Last night's Ravioli. Store bought fresh butternut squash ravioli this time. Browned butter then sizzled about 8 garden fresh basil leaves, couple of cloves of garlic, and a little garden fresh oregano in the butter. Added a cup of pasta water and reduced by half. Added cooked pasta and a bunch of grated parmigiano-reggiano and more pasta water as needed while stirring till the sauce was emulsified and creamy. Caesar salad with some heirloom tomatoes added. Just awesome. Ravioli came from an upscale Italian store named Eataly. Next time I will make it myself :) Just wonderful across the board. That's a little black pepper and red pepper flakes on top, by the way.

IMG_7048.jpg

That looks very good David!!
I appreciate it. I worked at a pizzeria when I was a kid. great job. We didn't use egg wash on the turnovers back then but since I'm not making 120 a night, I have time.
Whoever posted that "Next Level Pizza Dough" video deserves a free beer.

Steak quesadilla with salsa verde, blue corn chips and beef tamale from the freezer section with avocado slices.
Food is looking good as always.
As an aside, I see you went 4000° in a different direction on your new avatar plus it looks like a demon shadow with horns. It might be a backshot of a barn animal but I don't think so. I like change like the next person but that avatar blew my mind.
This is all in fun.

Food is looking good as always.
As an aside, I see you went 4000° in a different direction on your new avatar plus it looks like a demon shadow with horns. It might be a backshot of a barn animal but I don't think so. I like change like the next person but that avatar blew my mind.
This is all in fun.
That is my inner Viking shadow taken at HBC Stein Brew, (it was cold so many layers of outer wear) and another is happening later this month. Think of it as my grit (determination and resilience) showing, rather than my inner demon. ;) :mug:

We get another three days of rain. This is how I backyard forage. I walk around to the backdoor with groceries and sense a presence of a large object and then notice something gigantic 60' in the corner of my eye. That's a 750ml bottle. Ent Man is decompress/posingView attachment 744856

I looove mushroom soup. Sadly, we get an odd assortment of mushrooms here, sometimes of impressive colors that would impress you and make you wonder about toxicity. I will look into it, and maybe find my own ent man to help. Thanks :)

Continuing with my excursion into Greek, and in this case Greekish, recipes, I made Spanakopita Pinwheels :) Just awesome. Next I need to make traditional Spanakopita with filo dough instead of this puff pastry roll up version. The filling is just amazing. Used block President Feta from Costco and it's a very nice Feta. These guys did not last long! :)
IMG_7070.jpg

Wish I had some better finished shots, but we made pierogi last night for National Pierogi Day. Not something I had much growing up aside from the boxes of frozen Mrs. T's pierogi, but my father-in-law is Polish so we have them at least once a year there.

First time I've made them myself at home. Some were cabbage/onion, some were sauerkraut, and some with pulled pork from a butt roast I smoked.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 08, 9 03 26 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 08, 9 03 26 PM.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Photo Oct 08, 9 03 39 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 08, 9 03 39 PM.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 12
Made peanut butter bread from an old 1932 recipe. Tastes great, like a less-sweet peanut butter cookie with the texture of banana bread. Definitely a dessert bread, great with some butter or jam on it, or eaten on it's own.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 10, 1 16 35 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 10, 1 16 35 PM.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Photo Oct 10, 1 16 44 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 10, 1 16 44 PM.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
Chili with beans and corn bread
A devour-able dish. Chili like that (meaty with beans) was very comforting growing up. My folks were weird in that they were immigrants so the food we ate was a Hodge podge of ethnicity and thus everything. I never had cornbread I liked growing up so it fell off my radar. Relatives like cornbread so looking for "better" I tried a Martha Stewart recipe for cornbread. I can't say I "default" to her, but if one were to, you don't get mislead very often. She, or one of her people, hit a 600 foot homer on this one.
The cornbread recipe was appealing to us (the wife and I) originally in that the version had fresh corn and sour cream. I found it due to necessity and it's been a giant hit.

Back