What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk of big chops and steaks.

Alton Brown's Cottage Pie augmented by a pint of leftover hunter sauce. HB Strong Scotch.

20210917_195622.jpg

We have a local meat market which opened a year or so back. They have recently started carrying Piedmontese beef and they have the Cowboy cut, which has a SHORT "handle" on it but nowhere near the huge rib bone of a tomahawk. DANG they are SO good!

I have one in the freezer. I will have to drag it out soon. I also bought a 2 rib "prime rib" roast, which I'm saving for my birthday next month! :)

Tonight we had a tri-tip which I seasoned well and used the jaccard tenderizer to drive the seasoning into the meat, then did it sous vide at 138* for 6 hours, followed by a hard sear for 2 minutes each side, in a little bacon fat. Had "squash browns" with it - diced up Delicata squash, cooked in bacon fat til browned. Pretty dang yummy. Of course I did NOT remember to take pictures so it didn't happen....

Tonight we had a tri-tip which I seasoned well and used the jaccard tenderizer to drive the seasoning into the meat, then did it sous vide at 138* for 6 hours, followed by a hard sear for 2 minutes each side, in a little bacon fat. Had "squash browns" with it - diced up Delicata squash, cooked in bacon fat til browned. Pretty dang yummy. Of course I did NOT remember to take pictures so it didn't happen....

About the one piece of beef that I don't enjoy sous vide as much as cooking it over wood in my Akorn. Love me a tri tip!

Did Kolokithokeftedes again (Greek Zucchini Fritters) and believe they turned out even better than the first time!
IMG_7017.jpg

IMG_7018.jpg

Put up some more chilies to ferment for hot sauce and bottled two other quarts that have been fermenting for a couple of months. I still can't believe how many chilies I am getting off of 3 plants thrown in the ground at the last minute!
IMG_7015.jpg
IMG_7013.jpg

Also bought two huge blocks of Feta and some tomatoes from Costco, so I made that baked Feta and Cherry tomatoes thing that has been running around the internet where you put a block of Feta in the middle of a baking dish, surround it with fresh tomatoes, bake and serve with Pasta. No pictures of that, but it turned out really well!

Pork tongue? I've never had pork lengua...only ever beef. In fact, I've never even seen the MX markets sell pork tongue. Interesting...any different than beef?
Smaller organ, cooks in less time, was lower cost per pound, and I didn’t really notice a big difference in the flavor, perhaps a bit milder. I’d have to do a side by side tasting to describe. Hubby was very happy with this meal.

Stromboli from last night. First time I have every tried this. Mine had pepperoni, spanish chorizo, canadian bacon, and jalapenos with mozz, cheddar, and parm. Wife's was just the cheeses. Dipped in store-bought Rao's Marinara just because I was lazy last night :) Very tasty indeed!
IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

Yeah, I know I should clean up the plate before pictures, but I was HUNGRY! lol

Stromboli from last night. First time I have every tried this. Mine had pepperoni, spanish chorizo, canadian bacon, and jalapenos with mozz, cheddar, and parm. Wife's was just the cheeses. Dipped in store-bought Rao's Marinara just because I was lazy last night :) Very tasty indeed!
View attachment 743201

View attachment 743202

Wow!! That looks amazing.
And by the way, as far as jar sauce goes Rao's is quite good.

Last edited:
Pursuing a drunken thought from last night.

I took my wife’s homemade granola mixture and substituted it for the spent grains in the spent grain dog treats recipe and rolled out a bunch of granola bars.

I also substituted cashew butter and homemade apple butter for the peanut butter.

I’ll know how it turns out in 2 hours.

edit: it didn’t need the 2 hour drying out time. Probably because the granola was already dry as opposed to spent grain.

would have tasted better with more sugar, but I was trying to keep the sugar low.
0692C96E-9BBE-4B2B-8814-AB713ED4748C.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok you know I had a heart attack in May!!! You are all killing me!!! Stop already before I break rehab protocol and have the wife doing an air assault on me !!! 😳
I have a nice healthy bouillabaisse for you then, and it’s not too salty either. :)

Attachments

• B038596A-CD09-4097-B60F-58E2CDE08B12.jpeg
    B038596A-CD09-4097-B60F-58E2CDE08B12.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • D320D78C-EEDB-4AF3-9E87-D9EF2F4592DA.jpeg
    D320D78C-EEDB-4AF3-9E87-D9EF2F4592DA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 398290F0-EF7A-4775-BCA5-3188DF59F9B8.jpeg
    398290F0-EF7A-4775-BCA5-3188DF59F9B8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
My ex was half French, her mom was from Nice France. Tried for years to get me to eat that. Get the Willy Nillies just looking at it.
Mr. Sean, what am I going to do? I know not everyone likes seafood, though the beauty of this dish is one can use whatever fish they like. Sorry I gave you the Willys, and had you recalling unpleasant memories. Seriously, you didn’t taste your MIL’s soup? 🐟🦞

Mr. Sean, what am I going to do? I know not everyone likes seafood, though the beauty of this dish is one can use whatever fish they like. Sorry I gave you the Willys, and had you recalling unpleasant memories. Seriously, you didn’t taste your MIL’s soup? 🐟🦞
Christ no! I like fried catfish, shrimp, scallops, muscles and clams. Tuna of course. That's as far as my palate goes in oceanic edibles.

View attachment 743202

That looks and sounds fantastic! What's your process? I make homemade pizzas all the time but we gave up on stromboli because with everyone we've made the dough on the inside was mushy and not fully cooked, even cooking the outside to just about burnt. All different times and temps.

Rao's makes great stuff, both sauce and dry pasta. Pricey, but worth the money when you need it.

It's been mushroom season here all year. Easily over a foot and a half above the rain average Never had chanterelles in this yard but I had to give away I had so many.

Brother stopped by on Friday just after another rainstorm. Noticed these babies had returned and several colonies around the old oak.

He's a landscaper and says my yard is too wild.
I should rip up all the wildflowers and shrubs. Lay down a bunch of mulch to cover it all up.

Ummm no.

IMG_20210924_172731.jpg
IMG_20210924_172747.jpg
IMG_20210924_172759.jpg
IMG_20210926_122400.jpg
IMG_20210926_124613.jpg

Mmmm bacon Sean :) Actually just joking. Those are string beans.

Last edited:
It's been mushroom season here all year. Easily over a foot and a half above the rain average Never had chanterelles in this yard but I had to give away I had so many.

Brother stopped by on Friday just after another rainstorm. Noticed these babies had returned and several colonies around the old oak.

He's a landscaper and says my yard is too wild.
I should rip up all the wildflowers and shrubs. Lay down a bunch of mulch to cover it all up.

Ummm no.

View attachment 743677View attachment 743678View attachment 743679View attachment 743680View attachment 743681

Mmmm bacon Sean :) Actually just joking. Those are string beans.
Looks yummy!

yard is too wild
cool photos. I wouldn't know a poisonous mushroom from a non.
Anyway, that's exactly what my wife would prefer--wild. No (edit "no" replaced "now") disputing that she's 100% correct about the high maintenance and cost of growing grass that isn't native to this region. My problem is that I've been heavily indoctrinated from youth to have a golf course lawn (US).
We haven't used pesticides in over a decade. I cringe now when I mow and just repeat "it's better for the environment...it's better for the environment."
We're trying to clover the whole thing now. I guess it's kind of working.
Ramble is complete.

Last edited:
Back