What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A34AC85C-19EB-4638-B5E6-00D2B090A480.jpeg
633C701E-7304-4E98-852E-6A7952AE060F.jpeg

i attempted to make leberkase, I did not used curing salts it did not taste or look like bologna (I used beet juice for color, but after baking it faded) NAILED IT! LOL!

Just a little pku, see some beautiful dishes. Super excited to share results of something learned here. Generally I dont like crockpot dishes other than large cuts like corned beef, pork, or nacho cheese sauce. Basically never use ours. But rubbed a pork butt with nice olive oil, rubbed it with killer hogs rub, and put in with no liquid. Chopped an onion in there too. Omg, not to bad, nothing like smoked but was so good with lillie q Carolina sauce. Super cool learned technique here.

Yum, Merry! I had butter chicken on my menu plan for this week but it has been too hot. Maybe next week....
It was 67 degrees yesterday morning here! Got that urge to start cooking all those awesome fall and winter foods like hearty soups and stews!!! (Of course it was back in the mid 90's by the afternoon :( lol)

Sadly, after I prepped 200 lobsters by cutting them down the middle from the top and "guacamole" came out, I've been unable to eat that delicious meat ever since. Was so long ago but I think I was prepping for Lobster Thermidor.
Similarly, I bought a bag of White Castle and there was an exit festival from both ends. First time I seriously considered going to the Emergency Room.
Hi, I like to overshare!

Sadly, after I prepped 200 lobsters by cutting them down the middle from the top and "guacamole" came out, I've been unable to eat that delicious meat ever since. Was so long ago but I think I was prepping for Lobster Thermidor.
Similarly, I bought a bag of White Castle and there was an exit festival from both ends. First time I seriously considered going to the Emergency Room.
Hi, I like to overshare!
Yeah, the so-called tomalley is not something that looks appetizin, but the people who eat it often say it’s the best part. I don’t go out of my way to eat it, but the little bit that might stay on the tail meat doesn’t interfere with my enjoyment. As far as the bisque, too much green stuff would make the color awful so some rinsing took place before making the broth.

Thanks. I'm actually still learning the thin-cut chop, this one was a little too overdone for my taste.

First things first, start with excellent quality pork. Commodity pork is bred for quick growth and marketability. Modern pork is leaner and less flavorful than older breeds. Choose chops that have a nice thick rib cap, the darker meat that surrounds the leaner loin.

Next, salt them well in advance. I usually buy a few meals worth at a time. Salt 'em, vacuum pack 'em, freeze 'em. On the cook day thaw them and they're ready to go, salted throughout. Not heavily salted, just salted through and through.

For thick cut, I'm a big believer in the 'reverse sear'. Low and slow to get them ~15°F from finishing temp. Then a hot sear to bring them home. Pull them at 130 and they'll settle at 135-140.

Thin cut, like I said, still dialing those in. They're tougher to hit the proper temp.

NY strip? That's a tall order.

Yeah i can hammer some black eyed peas with collards. I make mine slightly spicy. I think the recipe was called Southern Black Eyed Peas. The collards are added to the peas.
https://www.africanbites.com/black-eyed-peas-recipe/
Cheated yesterday and made jambalaya using 2 Zatarains box mixes, home grown spicy bells, onion, a dozen raw jumbo red shrimp and about a pound of Andouille sausage.

Brown the sausage in 2 tbs oil, soften the onions and peppers with the sausage after is browned a little. Add the water/mix and cook per instructions, Add shrimp the last 10min of simmering. I added a little paprika and about 3tbs of tomato paste too.
https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains...-mixes-and-side-dishes/jambalaya-mix-original

NY strip? That's a tall order.
I suppose it is, at that. I generally only buy ribeye or filet mignon and cook it MR which requires minimal skill.
I have had success searing and then crock pots for pork medallions (?) but that's it.
I do like the reverse sear idea.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah i can hammer some black eyed peas with collards. I make mine slightly spicy. I think the recipe was called Southern Black Eyed Peas. The collards are added to the peas.

I (a damn Yankee) was introduced to Southern greens and peas when I started dating my wife from Arkansas. She cooks them the way her Daddy taught her. The peas: creamy, meaty, and yes just a touch of heat. The greens: washed seven times. Not three, not five. Seven.

I suppose it is, at that. I generally only buy ribeye or filet mignon and cook it MR which requires minimal skill.
I have had success searing and then crock pots for pork medallions (?) but that's it.
I do like the reverse sear idea.
Thanks for the info.

Ribeye reverse seared is the way to go. All that fat renders a bit more than usual. Still med rare, but the fat gets more time to spend in the melting zone.

The peas: creamy, meaty, and yes just a touch of heat
People dont know what they are missing. Mine turn out creamy. Cant seem to get other beans to turn out the same. Flavor aint quite the same either as other beans. Make up some sweet jalapeno corn bread with honey butter. Thats FINE DINING on a budget.
UDrQfZR.jpg

Up4BrXO.jpg

I got hooked on them at the employee cafeteria at the airport. That whole kitchen was run by a few older black ladies. Food they served you could not get in the passenger areas and it was cheap too.

The look on their faces when i sat down to collards, black eyed peas and cornbread was priceless. Scarfed it down like i was a starved dog. Beat the hell outta the $7 chicken strip plates upstairs for under $5.

Last edited:
Back