What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh!! Got lost in all the cool stuff everybody is doing! I’m doing the summertime staple roasted tomato basil soup. Mostly using Costco Campari tomatoes that are so good this time of year. Plan an serving with some top shelf grilled cheese sandwiches on rustic Italian bread with really nice Gouda, Munster, and Cheddar!

E1C4AA1B-3DFE-4713-A8FA-45EA68B6DB5C.jpeg

My secret for super juicy, flavorful chicken breasts? Chicken thighs.

True true. It is VERY difficult to overcook/grill chicken thighs.

However, you've apparently never sous vide a chicken breast. No grain, just juicy goodness. Not as flavorful as thighs though, no argument there.

Smothered pork chop with chanterelles and slow cooked green beans

We've got this local wine tasting place, Coopers Hawk. Good wines, I suggest the Almond white something-er-other.

They have a pork steak on menu. I NEVER get pork chops anywhere - I consider it cardboard. But man this pork steak was monster good. It had the look and consistency of a tender steak, with the incredible flavor of marinated pork. I wonder what that cut was. Pork steak. Must perfect.

True true. It is VERY difficult to overcook/grill chicken thighs.

However, you've apparently never sous vide a chicken breast. No grain, just juicy goodness. Not as flavorful as thighs though, no argument there.

No, never done sous vide. I get really good results for poultry, breasts included (even turkey), by grilling them skin-on at 325 over indirect heat. Pull 'em off at 165°, no more. For skillet cooking, I do prefer boneless skinless thighs.

I NEVER get pork chops anywhere - I consider it cardboard.

You've apparently never reverse-seared a thick-cut pork chop. ;)

Side note, since I was talking about salsa: If any of you happen to visit the metro Detroit area/Detroit proper, it's an experience to visit Mexican Village in Detroit. Trip Advisor will tell you the rest. I've found Xochimilco to be somewhere really good to eat and I like the authentic salsa they have.

Side note, since I was talking about salsa: If any of you happen to visit the metro Detroit area/Detroit proper, it's an experience to visit Mexican Village in Detroit. Trip Advisor will tell you the rest. I've found Xochimilco to be somewhere really good to eat and I like the authentic salsa they have.

Maybe somebody should make a salsa thread. I love it, but I have very particular thoughts about it. Also, particular thoughts about the requisite chips.

salsa thread...requisite chips
I'm right there with you. The Mexican salsa I learned is, for lack of a better word, watery. The flavor is to die for though. I have solid recipes for salsa, a really hot salsa and pico de gallo
The chips that meet my expectations are fried by me. People are blown away by them.
What I need to do is make my own tortilla dough, fry a batch and go from there by tweaking the recipe. Why? Because Ole stopped making their raw corn tortillas--thick and delicious. The current front runner (don't remember the name) is really good but not great like Ole was.
I could always communicate with the plethora of Mexican chip producers in Mexican Village in Detroit and come up with a solution.

Last edited:
hatch chiles.
I don['t know what those are. I'll check it out.
In any case, I'm sold on that brand.
Here, in Ferndale, they have Garden Fresh Salsa. It's different. My wife loves it. I even have a brother who worked there for a bit. They use some sort of pressure gizmo instead of pasteurizing.

I'm a sucker for hatch chiles.
I LOVE them and usually buy pounds of them this time of year and roast them on the grill, skin, seed, and freeze; but I ate some Hatch chile/cheddar dip (Costco sells it and it's DELICIOUS!) and within a few minutes my upper lip puffed WAY up, then my lower lip - I took a couple Benadryl and it quit. Then a week or so later ate a little salsa that had Hatch chiles and the same thing started happening! So now I'm a-skeert to buy the dang things, seems I have developed an allergy. I ate Serrano chiles in a homemade Salsa Mexicana two nights in a row with no bad effects. Not sure what to make of it but not willing to try the Hatch again any time soon! :no:

It's weird. My wife just bought this stuff in Denver. I never mentioned the topic of Hatch peppers and she bought the kit for me.
Looks like fun.
View attachment 738926
Be careful. Apparently, your wife reads your mind. Be very, very careful...

As I’ve been too fatigued to stand and cook a whole meal, hubby has stepped up last night juicy chicken breasts corn on the cob, and sugar snap peas. Last week he cooked top round London broil perfectly, fresh green beans and cheat Pre made mashed potatoes with just a few reminders from me about timing.

As I’ve been too fatigued to stand and cook a whole meal, hubby has stepped up last night juicy chicken breasts corn on the cob, and sugar snap peas. Last week he cooked top round London broil perfectly, fresh green beans and cheat Pre made mashed potatoes with just a few reminders from me about timing.
I hope you are alright and get to feeling better soon.

Back