What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This started out as pork & mushrooms (crimini) in garlic / black bean sauce, but not being one to leave well enough alone, I added a bit of crushed fennel seed, a dash of cinnamon, a good sprinkling of nutmeg & a little rooster sauce in addition to the usual fresh ginger & sweet basil. This made it a bit more like a version of a garlicky hoisin with a mild Chinese 5 spice sort of flavor. Regular 5 spice has way too much anise for my taste, so this worked out quite well.

The veggies were baby carrots, brussels sprouts, broccoli, sweet onion, fresh garlic, fresh ginger & sweet basil. This was all stir-fried in avocado oil. Washed it all down with several Anthem ciders, I thought it was a tasty meal.
Regards, GF.

pnm1a1.jpg

pnm2a1.jpg

pnm3a1.jpg

That looks great.

It has been a while since I have done a stir fry. I just picked up a nice wok and am about done seasoning it. My new stove came with a wok ring to go over the 18,000 btu burner. Plenty of heat to really do it.

I am still insanely jealous of your new stove, ever since you first posted about it! I was telling my wife about it yesterday, actually! lol :mug:

Making my not very famous, barely known split pea and lentil soup. Usually I use ham with bone in but for some reason the store was out of ham. I have no clue why. So I bought a pack of smoked pork shoulder, which I have never used before.

I know, I like to live life on the wild side.

Basically it's onion, carrot, and a few cloves of garlic sautéed, then added pork and beer (some blue moon knock off from aldi) as a spur of the moment decision. Once again, taking risks. Reduced that and added water, peas and lentils and a couple chicken bones. It's simmering away now. It probably won't be mind blowing but it should be good, and at $4 total for the whole thing, it's about the best thing you can eat for the money.

View attachment 1454777494429.jpg

I made hamburger stew with fresh veggies over rice Thursday. Then my wife roasted a small stuffed turkey yesterday. Gravy over everything with cranberry sauce.

I made hamburger stew with fresh veggies over rice Thursday. Then my wife roasted a small stuffed turkey yesterday. Gravy over everything with cranberry sauce.

I've never really been a big fan of hamburger stew, the Turkey sounds awesome though.

I made pizzas tonight. No pics, because I was pissed off. The bottom element of the oven died, and I had made this dough for pizza tonight, but for pepperoni-garlic knots on Sunday. The recipe made twice what I needed when I made it last night, so I pinched off half and was going to make a pizza. Instead, I had to make little personal-sized pizzas in the toaster-oven, which took 30 minutes per, with the cheese & toppings getting near-burnt and the crust getting barely browned. Sigh.

Now I don't know what to do about the garlic knots on Sunday.

Cover them with foil? So the bottom cooks more before the top burns?

I've never really been a big fan of hamburger stew, the Turkey sounds awesome though.

I like to cook the meat & onions in a pan & brown nicely while the potatoes, carrots, celery & such boil. I use beef stock to boil the veggies when I can. but also use beef soup powder base as well. Then put the meat/onion in the pot & add cajun brown gravy/roux mix to add flavor & thicken. then 1 can each drained peas & corn. a lil worcestershire sauce goes in. Cook 3C of rice to pour the stew over. Definitely beefier.

I like to cook the meat & onions in a pan & brown nicely while the potatoes, carrots, celery & such boil. I use beef stock to boil the veggies when I can. but also use beef soup powder base as well. Then put the meat/onion in the pot & add cajun brown gravy/roux mix to add flavor & thicken. then 1 can each drained peas & corn. a lil worcestershire sauce goes in. Cook 3C of rice to pour the stew over. Definitely beefier.

That sounds pretty good, I think growing up our beef stew always had a tomato base and I just never was a big fan of it

Found some old hot-dog buns in the freezer, got out some 92% lean ground beef, making sloppy joes tonight.

Oh, and I am cooking the carnitas down today, gonna let it sit overnight before taking the meat out to crisp up under the broiler. Should be awesome.

I'm doing a chicken chili with canalinni beans.
Roasted chilies, quick grilled the chicken to brown, sautéed the chilies with garlic and spices, added beans and then the chicken, and now simmering till chicken is cooked through. Then get the meat and skin off the bones and return to the pot.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454804729.573897.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454804743.139127.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454804759.974782.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454804773.827171.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454804790.329074.jpg

Feeling under the weather so in the mood for a good chicken soup. Decided to make up a batch of Colombian-style chicken consommé (consome de pollo). Simple yet delicious. Cut up a whole chicken, added a pack of gizzards, browned the meat then sautéed up leeks, onions, and garlic. Added water, carrots, celery, cilantro, cumin, and potatoes and let it simmer for a few hours. Strain out everything but the broth, meat, and potatoes.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454805117.562189.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454805132.950041.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454805148.476800.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454805160.956261.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454805178.513272.jpg

I'm doing a chicken chili with canalinni beans.
Roasted chilies, quick grilled the chicken to brown, sautéed the chilies with garlic and spices, added beans and then the chicken, and now simmering till chicken is cooked through. Then get the meat and skin off the bones and return to the pot.
View attachment 335861View attachment 335862View attachment 335863View attachment 335864View attachment 335865

Feeling under the weather so in the mood for a good chicken soup. Decided to make up a batch of Colombian-style chicken consommé (consome de pollo). Simple yet delicious. Cut up a whole chicken, added a pack of gizzards, browned the meat then sautéed up leeks, onions, and garlic. Added water, carrots, celery, cilantro, cumin, and potatoes and let it simmer for a few hours. Strain out everything but the broth, meat, and potatoes.

View attachment 335867
View attachment 335868
View attachment 335869
View attachment 335870
View attachment 335871

Both of these sound wonderful, very hearty looking too.

I'm super jealous. I have. A 2 burner electric stove >.> it's mostly useless. I hate electric stoves with a passion.

When I build the outdoor cook station for my kamado grills, I'm going to leave a spot for my Bayou Classic SQ14. I figure if I have it, I might as well use it.

Because you never know when you might need 5 gallons of chili or a ridiculously hot wok.

I just made a chili cheese dip, for the Superbowl. I was sad because I didn't have anything for the Superbowl and realized that I had cheese, chili beans, and sour cream. Add some jalapeño and onion, plus various chili seasonings and it makes a good quick dip. Not anything special but I have a nice unhealthy snack for the game so I'm happy.

My little spread - enough for a dozen people, I'd say.

Pepperoni knots:
001-66815.jpg

Garlic knots (I used half a head of roasted garlic for this 8" pan's worth):
009-66816.jpg

Finished knots, along with chips & salsa (I was making the cheese sauce at this time):
012-66817.jpg

Part of the spread - nacho & taco fixin's in the background: sliced jalapenos, diced raw onion (yuck!), thin-sliced radishes, lime wedges, shredded Colby/Jack cheese, shredded red cabbage, shredded iceberg lettuce:
014-66818.jpg

Added view: concasse tomatoes, parsley ('cos I can't stand cilantro), and some old-ass plates:
017-66819.jpg

Carnitas tacos meat & cheese sauce for the nachos:
022-66820.jpg

Pepperoni knots are not worth the trouble. Garlic knots are always awesome. Tacos turned out really nice, first time I have cooked carnitas at home. Lots of leftovers, so tacos for days...

:)

My little spread - enough for a dozen people, I'd say.

Pepperoni knots:
001-66815.jpg

Garlic knots (I used half a head of roasted garlic for this 8" pan's worth):
009-66816.jpg

Finished knots, along with chips & salsa (I was making the cheese sauce at this time):
012-66817.jpg

Part of the spread - nacho & taco fixin's in the background: sliced jalapenos, diced raw onion (yuck!), thin-sliced radishes, lime wedges, shredded Colby/Jack cheese, shredded red cabbage, shredded iceberg lettuce:
014-66818.jpg

Added view: concasse tomatoes, parsley ('cos I can't stand cilantro), and some old-ass plates:
017-66819.jpg

Carnitas tacos meat & cheese sauce for the nachos:
022-66820.jpg

Pepperoni knots are not worth the trouble. Garlic knots are always awesome. Tacos turned out really nice, first time I have cooked carnitas at home. Lots of leftovers, so tacos for days...

:)

How did you do it without a working oven?

I had to fiddle with the toaster oven for the knots. Bake them at one temp for a certain amount of time on one rack, then move the rack, reset the temp, and go again. It was a pain.

The carnitas get crisped up under the broiler, and the top element of the oven still works, so that was no problem.

Back