What bulk grains...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryB

Reaction score
Fat Tire ale is one of my favorites and the NB clone I like so I have:

50 pounds Belgian Pilsner
50 pounds German Munich
50 pounds German Dark Munich

on my list... specialty grains I will order in smaller amounts...

I also like the lower hop English ales and the occasional IPA so what other grains should I pick up in bulk?

In my opinion, you do not need that much Munich and dark Munich.
Pilsner is a great base grain for lagers if that is what you plan on making a lot of although it can be used for ales as well.

I would get a 50# bag of a good 2 row base grain and then decide which beers you plan on making and then decide which other grains to get in bulk.

I use Marris Otter the most. I really like MO smashes to keep the pipeline full.

I buy Golden Promise and Vienna by the sack, then MoreBeer allows you to buy 5 or 10 lbs bags of specialty grains and offers free shipping. So I just bought 5 different crystal/specialty malts(Caramunich, crystal 10, crystal 40, Honey Malt, red wheat) in 5 lb bag, then I bought a 10 lb bag of Munich. I figure with these malts I can make a wide selection of ales.

55 lb bags of:
Pale 2-Row (Canadian)
Maris Otter
Pilsner

25 lbs of:
Vienna
Crystal (20 or 60)
Other heavily used secondary malts

10 lbs of:
Commonly used specialty malts

I would never order munich in bulk. a 10lb bag will last me a good while and I brew every week. I keep 2 row, pilsner, wheat, and occasionally MO in sacks. But its all dependant on your brew style

So where is the best place to order bulk grains from to get good pricing?

So where is the best place to order bulk grains from to get good pricing?

Honestly, the best place is your local brewery. A lot of breweries I;ve been to are happy to talk shop about various aspects of brewing. If you schmooze up to them, they will happily sell you bulk grains at cost to them. It also saves you a crap ton on shipping

It helps if you bring beer to give them

The Fat Tire clone I like uses 2 pounds at a pop of the Munich malts(each) and that is one beer I will brew twice a month at least. I have the freezer space to package them out in vacuum bags so they will store well until I use them. About a years supply of each...

I would never order munich in bulk. a 10lb bag will last me a good while and I brew every week. I keep 2 row, pilsner, wheat, and occasionally MO in sacks. But its all dependant on your brew style

I have a nice Pie Chart with %s on Beer Alchemy that tell me how much of what I use. Going off that, I would invest in Pale malt, German Pils, and Vienna Malt. But this is completely up to what the brewer brews most.

Id go with Pale malt, Maybe some German Base, your fav crystal, wheat, and a specialty like victory. For that drive, I make sure I drove there with intention. If you want to hoard grains, get all that will satisfy you needs. For pale beers, Pale malt, (I like some German Munich) wheat, and some oddball like victroy to do me in on pales.

Victory is part of the Fat Tire clone I like so it may get bumped to a full sack.., I was thinking of adding a little biscuit to that recipe but I better experiment first...

I am NOT a hop head like some. I love a well flavored hoppy IPA that isn't so bitter you pucker for a week...

Back