What book is on your nightstand? Readers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a kid I fell just shy of invitable to D&D happenings. For the same reason professional sports do not interest me, I struggle to grasp the importance of imaginary constructs.

All that aside, I can't help feeling like I've missed out on a lot of joy, and so I'll give it a read, to dip a toe. Thank you.

As a kid I fell just shy of invitable to D&D happenings. For the same reason professional sports do not interest me, I struggle to grasp the importance of imaginary constructs.

All that aside, I can't help feeling like I've missed out on a lot of joy, and so I'll give it a read, to dip a toe. Thank you.
D&D was magical. I really liked it. This was in the early 80's I think, and we had the crazy dice and booklets that worked us through some odd scenarios. I don't know if it was the D&D that others were doing, but I loved it. It came and went in one summer, but I still remember with new fondness.

I read fantasy for a quick bit, perhaps a few years later. I remember being entranced with that. Haven't revisited since.

So, we'll see.

Well, I was a D&D player, and I've been known to knock back a beer or 3... and free seals the deal. I promise, if I read it (i've got a backlog of unread books), I'll leave a review on Amazon.
Which leads to my nightstand piled high with:

An AD&D magazine I write for.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I started Fellowship last night)
Hamilton
And a Gary Gygax Gord the Rogue novel I can’t recall the name of.

I have to get through at least 2 of them by the end of February.

I play Dungeons and Dragons almost daily. I run a home brew world called Thirith. Between sessions, there’s always something to fiddle with. I even created a custom set of random dungeon generation rules so I can play solo when I have downtime in the middle of a day.

https://thirith.proboards.com/

Which leads to my nightstand piled high with:

An AD&D magazine I write for.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (I started Fellowship last night)
Hamilton
And a Gary Gygax Gord the Rogue novel I can’t recall the name of.

I have to get through at least 2 of them by the end of February.

I play Dungeons and Dragons almost daily. I run a home brew world called Thirith. Between sessions, there’s always something to fiddle with. I even created a custom set of random dungeon generation rules so I can play solo when I have downtime in the middle of a day.

https://thirith.proboards.com/
I played D&D starting in about 1980-81 pretty regularly through the 90s. 1st edition only. Still have all the books, modules, character sheets, dice, etc. After computers came out (I feel old saying that), we wrote visual basic programs to automate a lot of the activities (random monsters, treasure generation, spell books, etc) and even created a digital mapping program using a digi board. Man were we some nerds! We are much cooler these days, right?

I played D&D starting in about 1980-81 pretty regularly through the 90s. 1st edition only. Still have all the books, modules, character sheets, dice, etc. After computers came out (I feel old saying that), we wrote visual basic programs to automate a lot of the activities (random monsters, treasure generation, spell books, etc) and even created a digital mapping program using a digi board. Man were we some nerds! We are much cooler these days, right?
We still are. 😎

IMG_1453.jpeg

LOLOL. Just finished chapter Creepy-Ass-Forest. Quite entertaining. Not Victor Hugo, but it's a page-turner. I need a magic infinity bag.

every legit dude of nerdish origin needs an excaliber sword somewhere in their lair. I see yours hanging near the door.

View attachment 840654
Sorry I missed this! So mine is actually a rapier. It was the wedding party gift from my friend, who now makes swords in fact. Next to my sword is an even more prized possession, my grandfather's WWII bayonet.

Sorry I missed this! So mine is actually a rapier. It was the wedding party gift from my friend, who now makes swords in fact. Next to my sword is an even more prized possession, my grandfather's WWII bayonet.
That's really awesome. Perhaps he had a commission, or was in a tank, artillery or Airborne unit? Only guessing because that looks like an M1/M2 bayonet. Even more special because you have the scabbard.

That's really awesome. Perhaps he had a commission, or was in a tank, artillery or Airborne unit? Only guessing because that looks like an M1/M2 bayonet. Even more special because you have the scabbard.
He was actually an ammunition truck driver. He probably grabbed it on the way home. He had a German bayonet as well. I gave that one to my cousin who was a Green Beret.

Currently reading a gentle per-appocolyptic (so far) speculative sci fi ish novel based on the local community in Key West:

Knowing When to Leave, by Kristina Neilhouse. I'm enjoying it, as it is engaging, semi foreboding, yet not abysmal. Also well spaced type w reasonable font, even in paperback.

Re-reading Dreadnought, which is about the naval arms race, basically, between England and Germany in the decades leading up to WWI. Great read. That, and making slow progress re-reading some brewing science.

Just finished the Darksword trilogy by Weis and Hickman. The DnD dorks should recognize that. It had been downloaded to my kindle for far too long. I’m weird with books I know I’ll enjoy because I just don’t want it to be over. The world building in that series is crazy interesting and just plain fun. My wife downloaded some free books to my kindle so I’ll be starting The County Line by Steve Weddle. Sounds interesting and it’s a break from fantasy.

It's amazing some of the things I've learned as an older adult, questions I only now have, and there is noone to answer them - all dead.
We tried to convince my mother in law and her sister to sit down and let us record a conversation with them about their life pre WWII but they were not interested at all. They were born in Belgium just after WWI-their parents had fled to France during the war, but moved back to Belgium afterwards. When the Germans invaded Belgium in 1940 they fled again to France. My MIL told us about German planes strafing them as they headed south with whatever they could carry. After several months she arrived in this village (I don't know why here) and ended up getting married. She basically became the village medical expert, midwife, etc. But that's as far as she ever went with her story.

I'm currently reading the Book of Jubilees, a different take on Genesis recovered from the Dead Sea Scrolls. I now know that Adam and Eve had quite a few children who married each other to populate the world.

I'm reading "Three Body Problem" book two (The Dark Forest). It hits netflix next weekend and I'm not nearly as far into book two as I wanted to be. What a dilemma.

Back