What BJCP Category?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey_Brew

Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking of entering my first competition, that is being put on by a local brew pub. Entries need to be marked with the BJCP category.

One of the organizers said they are looking for fairly simple beers. I think that is because the prize is that they will brew a large batch of the winning recipe. I have had good luck with a straightforward and not very original pale ale recipe (using BIAB for nominal 2.5 gallon batches).

5 lb 2 row pale ale malt
.5 lb crystal 60
.25 lb carapils

1 oz Cascade, 60 min
1 oz Citra, 10 min

I estimate an o.g. of 1.051-1.055 depending on which "2 row pale" value I use, but with my efficiency this can comes out as low as 1.045. i estimate the IBU to be about 64. (Home-made spreadsheet using the equations in John Palmer's "How to Brew.") Beersmith Mobile says 1.052/70.1, but I am never sure that I have the equipment specified the same way in the two calculations.

According to the basic BJCP guidelines the gravity is low for an American IPA and the bitterness is high for an American Pale Ale. The guidelines say that Category 21B, Specialty IPA can be used "for a different strength version of an IPA defined by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g. session-strength American or English IPA)..."

I think that means I would enter this beer as "21B, Specialty IPA, session-strength American IPA." Am I reading the guidelines correctly?

Thanks.

You could, but you really don't have enough late hop additons to be competitive as a session IPA, in my opinion.

I'd enter it as an American Pale.

Latest posts

Back