What BIAB Efficiency Do You Get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your pure (full-volume, no-sparge) BIAB mash efficiency?

• >=95%

• 90-94%

• 85-89%

• 80-84%

• 75-79%

• 70-74%

• 65-69%

• 60-64%

• <60%

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used to get around 70%, but ever since I started mashing with 1 less gallon and using that to rinse the grains, I've gone up to over 80% consistently.

I second this approach, both for efficiency, and ease of process. The sparge step can be used as a volume adjustment to reach intended pre boil volume. This allows you to rough in your strike water amount, and fine tune with the sparge step.

Very simple and effective, just the way I prefer!

And fwiw, I prefer a pour over sparge with the bag either suspended above the kettle, in a colander, or even simply sitting on a couple of kitchen utensils spanning the top of the kettle..easier than a dunk sparge IME.

Today I hit about 67% which was pretty disappointing. The process went perfectly for me, so I have no idea why I didn't do better. My efficiency has been all over the map in the 4 BIABs I've done. I've been as high as 78% and 67% is the low.

The problem is today's brew, as I mentioned above, went perfectly. I have no idea what to do or change to be more consistent or better.

My LHBS grinds for me. When I've asked for a double grind, they tell me that their grinder is set for really fine and a double grind would make it a powder. So I do the single.

152* mash. 60 mins.
170* for 10 minutes.

I missed target OG by about .008 :(
Is it the same recipe each time?
Did you do the same mash each time?
What was the pre boil gravity and volume for each batch?
What was the final volume into fermenter?

I don't do anything special with my crush and I hit 80% with a 90 minute mash on my second batch and a 50-60% (don't remember honestly) on my first batch. I'd suggest checking the pH during you mash and mixing the grains up every 10 minutes while checking temperatures.

Did my first BIAB today. My brewhouse efficiency calculator said I got 77% efficiency. I mashed 6.5lbs of grain in 4.5 gal of water for 60 min. I hit my OG of 1.056 (it's a 3-gal batch). I was pretty happy considering the problems I had keeping a steady mash temp.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Home Brew mobile app

10lbs 2 row with whatever crush the brew store does
7.5 gallons of water
152 average mash temp, checked every 19-15 minutes and stirred for 15-45 seconds
75 minute mash
Put the grain bag on a small fridge shelf set on top of a turkey fryer pot. Shook the bag and spun it so it would hold itself shut gently BUT I took the gravity reading BEFORE I added this to the brew pot.
1.030 or 1.932 pre boil gravity (1.044 at 60F)
1.050 OG at 80F and I believe it is 5.5 gallons but it could be 6. Comes in around 80% brewhouse.

Oh and my pH was 5.4 20 minutes into the mash. I check it with strips. So much for the logic that brew in a bag isn't as efficient as traditional all grain in my brewery. I have the correct pH and better efficiency than I read about for coolers.

Efficiency? How does one calculate that?

www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravityhtml

I usually have 6.5 gallons pre boil and input 75% for efficiency. If I'm above that I'm happy since it seems like most traditional all grain brewers reach for that number.

Brewers friend also has a calculator you could use for mash efficency.

Just remember if you take readings pre boil to correct for hydromenter readings if you don't want to wait until it's 60F. OR just remember to add 0.018 if it's 150F when you take the reading.

you can also google/Bing search mash efficiency, pre boil efficiency, pre boil calculation etc. and find sort of a good explaination of what mash efficiency is trying to measure. You're just calculating how much of the potential sugar you're able to extract.

10lbs 2 row with whatever crush the brew store does
7.5 gallons of water
152 average mash temp, checked every 19-15 minutes and stirred for 15-45 seconds
75 minute mash
put the grain bag on a small fridge shelf set on top of a turkey fryer pot. Shook the bag and spun it so it would hold itself shut gently but i took the gravity reading before i added this to the brew pot.
1.030 or 1.932 pre boil gravity (1.044 at 60f)
1.050 og at 80f and i believe it is 5.5 gallons but it could be 6. Comes in around 80% brewhouse.

Oh and my ph was 5.4 20 minutes into the mash. I check it with strips. So much for the logic that brew in a bag isn't as efficient as traditional all grain in my brewery. I have the correct ph and better efficiency than i read about for coolers.
1.932 ?

Brewed a Pils the other day and broke the 90% efficiency barrier! I did a 90 minute boil so instead of topping off the boil I used a sparge to get the volume I needed. I've had a few 90% brews before by incorporating a sparge.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back