What beer should I pair with a pumpkin/sausage pasta dish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriend (recent acquisition) told me last night that she is trying out a new recipe and wanted to know if I wanted to try it with her. She asked if I could bring a beer that would go well with it. Unfortunately all I have to work with is that it is some sort of pasta dish with pumpkin and sausage in it. I would appreciate any help you can provide with this as I am still learning the fun of pairing beers.

She is not too big on IPAs and overly flavorful beers but does like saisons, farmhouse styles, and other lighter beers. I am kind of leaning towards getting a couple pumpkin beers as they would be strong enough to offset the sausagem and still complement the pumpkin/squash of the recipe. What suggestions can you all give?

Too bad she doesn't dig IPAs - I was at a beer dinner a while back and a double IPA (Bell's Hopslam) was an awesome pairing with a squash and veal sausage dish.

How about a Belgian or Saison? Also, if you can get Goose Island Sofie (a brett beer) the tartness of that might go well with a savory sausage. Also, I have found that hard cider goes really, really well with bratwurst. Maybe that's something to try with this sausage? Apples and pumpkins together is nice and autumny.

A solid amber should go with that. Not too light. I don't know about saison...

Mmmm… Autumn is here. Finally. Flavors do wonderful things FOR each other and TO each other. Flavor, one of those elements that science still doesn’t fully understand is centered in the olfactory (Nose). The sense of smell IS the sense of taste… Biology ramblings aside, a few simple (Though subjective) relationships may make “sense” of your dilemma. And, let’s face it… It’s ALL about impressing the girl, right?

Sweet enhances savory but blends spice elements.. Sweet intensifies the umami-like qualities of certain foods but can muddle dishes laden with spice. Could be a good thing or could be like blending all the colors in a painting; creating a muddy palate of sorts.. For the sausage element, I feel a sweeter, fruit-based beverage would be complimentary – Possibly a pear cider (Perry) or a sweeter apple cider.

Sour, earth, funk, and barnyard all favor one another. Though Pumpkin and/or some other harvest squash are slightly sweet in nature, they tend to lean more towards subtle earthy flavors. On the other hand, bitter (as in hops) both ties sweet to earthy AND enhances spice, savory (Umami) and cuts the richness of animal fats (As does acid). So…. I say impress the hell-out-of-the-girl and bring a slightly earthy beverage (Saison, Gose, or even a Lambic) to open the night (And as you cook) then move to a hopped semi-sweet hard cider for the meal and finish with a rich, dark Belgian to tie the evening together… And, possibly “untie” an article of clothing or two! Go get ‘em Tiger!

Cheers Mate,

-JM

Wow. Great responses. It never ceases to amaze me how great HBT is at providing helpful answers.

So the consensus seems to be saison to start with something sweeter during the meal.
JonM I actually introduced her to Sophie on our first date and she loved it.

Any suggestions on the hopped cider? I have zero commercial cider experience aside from knowing I cant drink woodchuck or angry orchard. And the untieing is definitely an option.

Whoops - I think Matilda is the Brett beer. I went to another beer dinner where our local James Beard Award winner paired Sofie with shellfish chorizo and it was amazing. Can't go wrong with either of those.

Any suggestions on the hopped cider? I have zero commercial cider experience aside from knowing I cant drink woodchuck or angry orchard. And the untieing is definitely an option.

I'm here in the Great Pacific Northwest so the variety of hopped ciders is lengthy... However, I'm not sure about Eastern / Southeastern craft cideries. You are in Virginia, yes? Perhaps Potter's Craft Cider? I believe they are in Virginia. I'd hit up a local bottle shop (If available) and see if they have a hopped cider.

Cheers!

-JM

i would say a pumpkin ale... A pumpkin sausage pasta dish sounds amazing though. Last year Bonefish had a seasonal pumpkin ravioli pasta dish with sage. Was sooo good. I had a pumpkin ale with it.

I think I have a large bottle of sophie and one of Matilda in maine 'cellar'. Will check and bring one. Will check out the coders at the bi title shop after work and possibly bring a bomber or two of pumpkin ale as well just in case.

I think I have a large bottle of sophie and one of Matilda in maine 'cellar'. Will check and bring one. Will check out the coders at the bi title shop after work and possibly bring a bomber or two of pumpkin ale as well just in case.

Wow. English Is apparently not my phones strong suit. Translation

I have a large bottle of each Sophie and Matilda in my 'cellar'. I checked out the ciders and picked up one as well at the bottle shop. Additionally for the heck of it I am bringing a couple pumpkin ales to try.

Hopefully we are both capable of waking up and making it to work tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. Will let you know how the pairings go.

Ended up taking your advice. Brought a '13 Matilda a bottle of Potters oaked cider which was really good and finished up on a cop out with some pumpkin ales. This morning is tolerable but I am sleep deprived and wanna go back to bed.

The food ended up good as well. We doctored it up with a little red pepper flake because it was a touch bland, but it was good.

Latest posts

Back