What areThese?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadeus_d3

Reaction score
I've recently acquired homebrew equipment from a retired couple that hasn't brewed since the late 90s. I was wondering if you folks could tell me what is in the attachment? It looks like a metal racking cane, but it's in 3 pieces and doesn't have the black rubber tip that most canes have. The middle piece has 2 small holes on the side that's not hooked.

CAM01266.jpg

I think they are racking canes that are bent at the bottom so the inlet sits above the layer of yeast/trub. Maybe they are older from a time before they came up with the plastic cap that effectively does the same thing?

I think they are racking canes that are bent at the bottom so the inlet sits above the layer of yeast/trub. Maybe they are older from a time before they came up with the plastic cap that effectively does the same thing?

Possibly. I know they stopped brewing in the late 90s, but they started in the 80s. I've never seen anything like it before, but I'm also a noob.

I should also mention that the diameter of the ends are identical on all 3 metal pieces, so they do not fit inside one another like a typical male to female connector.

Ask the couple.

Then report back because I'm curious. :)

That's exactly what I'm going to do. He's having a garage sale this Saturday, so I'm going to stop by with a 6 pack and ask him about some of the equipment he gave me. I'm sure homebrew processes was much different in the 80s and 90s than today. I'll be sure to report back.

The guy said the canes were used to suck up lees, but he wasn't exactly sure how it was accomplished. Oh well, had a nice chat and scored a $4 ball lock corny and a $1 ph meter.

The guy said the canes were used to suck up lees, but he wasn't exactly sure how it was accomplished. Oh well, had a nice chat and scored a $4 ball lock corny and a $1 ph meter.

Nice.

Worst case you throw the canes away. Wouldn't be the first time someone scrubbed through a pile of old equipment and only took what they wanted.

Will the ones that are bent on both ends fit through a carboy opening?

Definitely the one with holes on the side was made for racking without sucking up the lees.

If they're stainless they should be much easier to keep clean than vinyl
or plastic tubing.

Nice.

Worst case you throw the canes away. Wouldn't be the first time someone scrubbed through a pile of old equipment and only took what they wanted.

I wouldn't throw them away if they are SS. Could be good for a re-purpose in a TBD future DIY. (but then I still have boxes of stuff I haven't used in over 20 years for future TBD DIY):eek:

I wouldn't throw them away if they are SS. Could be good for a re-purpose in a TBD future DIY. (but then I still have boxes of stuff I haven't used in over 20 years for future TBD DIY):eek:

I kept them around in hopes that I could one day use them. I plan on using the one pictured on the right the next time I need a blowoff tube :rockin:

SWMBO doesn't have that kind of patience. If I haven't touched it in a year (and we haven't specifically talked about the plan for it), I have to start keeping a really close eye on it or it will disappear.

Back