What are your Top 3 Longterm Investments in Homebrewing equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewhaus
Blingmann equipment (Kettles, Conical, BeerGun)
30 cornies & associated faucets, hoses, tanks, etc.
Blichmann does make some nice stuff!

Going to try my hand at your Apfelwein EdWort, gonna pickup the ingredients tomorrow and get it started. Looking forward to it :drunk:

3 things you NEED to get complete control over.
1) Fermentation Temperatures
2) Amount of pitchable yeast
3) Yeast health/care

So i would get:
1) Temperature controlled fermentation chamber (Chest freezer or refrigerator w/ temp. controller - LOVE controllers really do it for me)
2) Equipment for a yeast starter (Erlenmeyer flask -2000 mL min, stirplate)
3) Oxygen setup to get proper oxygen levels in wort

These are the most important to me. In my opinion this separates great beer from average beer. So, I would rather drink a smaller amount of great beer, than a larger amount of average beer.

I would rather drink a smaller amount of great beer, than a larger amount of average beer.
+1 Yeah, maybe it's just me but I don't really get making ten or more gallon batches. I suppose if you are consistently splitting them with someone or you live in a frat house or something, but I don't think I could drink through that much beer fast enough. I'd rather brew less but more often.

+1 Yeah, maybe it's just me but I don't really get making ten or more gallon batches. I suppose if you are consistently splitting them with someone or you live in a frat house or something, but I don't think I could drink through that much beer fast enough. I'd rather brew less but more often.

You just need to add more kegs. I have started to do almost all 10 gallons batches and will never go back. I get twice the amount of beer in the same time. I can experiment with different yeasts or other additions. Just keg them and throw them into the lager freezer, and when you need a keg just go out and grab a cold, carbonated keg from the freezer. I also have a pin cask that I use as often as possible what is a great use for 5 gallons of beer.

Chromados

This is true. I just kegged for the first time this past batch so I'm coming to realize the advantages of them. I suppose you could probably keep them warm and hit them with pressure every once in a while too. That way they're either close to carbed or ready to go. Then you could stick them in the fridge and have them ready when they're chilled. I only have one chest freezer that's only large enough to fit a carboy and that is my lager freezer so warm is my only option for now. This is all granted one can keg in the first place. I hated bottling five gallons for two years, let alone ten gallons so maybe I should have included a keg kit in my list of best upgrades.

Kind of an odd one, but my mother bought a new house a few months ago, and I just learned the other day it has a genuine bonafied wine cellar. Which I have convinced her would be a wonderful place to allow me to lager things.

So 400 000$ for a lagering cave?

1. Kegerator and all the affiliated accoutrement. After a year of wading through other peoples crap on Craigslist, I have an awesome, wholly 'kickass' 9 year old side by side, donated by a friend who just bought a new one. He was actually going to let Sears haul this one away! Would've been a complete waste....

2. Grain Mill. Part of my ongoing effort to do as much DIY as I possibly can.

3. 10 gallon fermenters.

1. Kegerator and all the affiliated accoutrement. After a year of wading through other peoples crap on Craigslist, I have an awesome, wholly 'kickass' 9 year old side by side, donated by a friend who just bought a new one. He was actually going to let Sears haul this one away! Would've been a complete waste....

2. Grain Mill. Part of my ongoing effort to do as much DIY as I possibly can.

3. 10 gallon fermenters.
What 10 gallon fermenters are you using?

I'm a noob, but so far have laid down about a grand on equipment. My big ones:

1) 1800 watt induction cooktop and 8 gallon brew pot - I can bring 6 gallons to a boil in 45 minutes, in my basement!
2) Kegging gear - cornies, CO2 tanks, etc.
3) Utility sink and brew table - from tap water to kegerator the brew process takes place within about 10 feet in my basement, very efficient.

Next up:

4) A top freezer fridge, for storing hops/yeast/LME, cold crashing, and eventually lagering.

3) Utility sink
Yeah man, a sink right there would be awesome. I brew in my garage that is attached to the house and have to go in and out a lot during brew day. To be able to get water and clean as I go within 10 feet of my brew area would be so convenient. A nice big, spider and dust proof cabinet would be nice out there too. I keep everything inside to keep it clean until I need it.

My top 3 investments...

1. Sanke kegs - I turned 3 into keggles and ferment in and serve with the rest.
2. March pump - My spine has never been so happy.
3. Hop plants - I have 6 now and plan to expand by another 10 plants this spring.

My 4th pick would have been a tie with:
- yeast starter + frozen bank but it was really not that expensive to get into...
- Immersion Chiller

What 10 gallon fermenters are you using?

Wow. See, this is what happens when I stay up late drinking apfelwein. :drunk: I apparently didn't even read the original post, just the title. I took it to mean what are going to be our next top 3 long term investments. In which case, I gave the correct answers.

However, now that it's much later in the day, the headache is gone and my head is much clearer, allow to me answer the question that was actually written. :cross:

1. 60qt stockpot I bought from Basspro last year. I can do 10 gallon batches with relative ease in it!

2. My DIY wort chiller. So much faster than an ice bath. Especially in the winter.

3. My 6.5 gallon glass carboys. As long as I can keep from breaking them, I will never have to replace them!

Haha!

I just got my ingredients for a batch of apfelwein today - should get it going in the next day or so.

Keep the responses coming!

1. Brewstand

2. Chest freezer with temp controller

3. Kegging equipment

4. Stir plate

5. Crankandstein

6. Wort chiller

Sorry, I couldn't stop at just 3.

Great question!

Beyond my all grain setup (keggles, 10 gallon Rubbermaid mash tun, bayou classic burners, etc.), I'd go with:

Kegging setup (kegs and co2 system)
Counter flow wort chiller
March pump

Bonus:
Refractometer

1. Brutus 10 stand
2. 2-tap (maybe adding another) kegorator
3. Fridge with temp control for fermenting

I figure with these three things I will be able to make and enjoy good homebrew for years and years to come.

Well I invested in a good grain mill - Got the new Rebel Brewer Grain Mill!

Still pricing everything else out.

Anyone else? What have been your best investments in your brewing equipment?

Latest posts

Back