What are your nostalgic foods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
On special occasions and holidays when I was a kid my grandfather use to buy some pickled herring. We'd eat a jar of it with saltine crackers. I lost my grandfather last year, he lived well into his 90's, (probably from all the pickled fish) I still buy a jar sometimes on holidays and cookouts. I usually can't get anyone to eat it with me, but I think it's amazing how a food can transport you back to a time and place and awaken memories you forgot you had!

I'm curious what other peoples nostalgic foods are? Anything as weird as mine?

I was just thinking about this the other day, remembering an appetizer my mom used to make for the holidays- it was slices those little rye and pumpernickel breads 2 inch by 2 inch squares I think- my mom would mix cheeze whiz with yellow mustard (i think a little garlic powder) chopped walnuts and bacon and spread it on those little breads and put them under the broiler until they browned and crisped up a bit on top. The best ones would bubble and the top "skin" would nearly blacken.

Thanks for the memories.

I was just thinking about this the other day, remembering an appetizer my mom used to make for the holidays- it was slices those little rye and pumpernickel breads 2 inch by 2 inch squares I think- my mom would mix cheeze whiz with yellow mustard (i think a little garlic powder) chopped walnuts and bacon and spread it on those little breads and put them under the broiler until they browned and crisped up a bit on top. The best ones would bubble and the top "skin" would nearly blacken.

Thanks for the memories.

Interesting! My father in-law made something similar from his childhood. I think he put cubed Velveeta cheese, bacon, and spices through a hand meat grinder, then spreads the mixture on bread slices, and under the broiler. I remember thinking it was pretty weird! But, it tasted pretty good.

Pierogies, pork roast, and sauerkraut for me! Probably with some halushki as well... always reminds me of home and my mother!

Shanecb, my polish brother from another mother! I have to agree with you. Homemade kielbasa, kishka, pierogi, haluski and golumpki all remind me of the holidays at my grandparents. I have learned how to make all these goodies so I can carry on the tradition.

Another weird combo, my mom always made was egg noodles with butter and cottage cheese heated in a pot, seasoned with season salt and pepper. We eat it almost weekly and the kids love it. Last but not least beef soup.

My grandmother made a venison gravy that I loved. I haven't had it since I was a teenager, but just the thought of it takes me back to those days.

Grandmas meatloaf...straight forward and simple...she gave me the recipe and told me not to follow it...has to do with feel.

Best meatloaf I've ever eaten...nothing compares...she's still around at 90 but her hands can't mix the meat anymore. When I make it for her she always says I'm getting there...maybe one day!

Pan fried pork chops slow cooked in cream of mushroom soup. Got to char them good and wisk up (deglaze) the burnt bits in the pan before adding the soup.

Leftover meatloaf patty melts with grilled onions and mushrooms....OMG!!!!

Salmon patties made with canned salmon that has the bones. DONT pic them out...They are delicious crunchy little bits in the patty.

Fried catfish with the tail left on....Oh man have you ever nibbled on a fried catfish tail? When i was young there was nearly a fight over who got those sections.

Another weird combo, my mom always made was egg noodles with butter and cottage cheese heated in a pot, seasoned with season salt and pepper. We eat it almost weekly and the kids love it. Last but not least beef soup.

Oh hell yeah.. cottage cheese and noodles is a fantastic combo! There's a great Polish restaurant near me that does a platter with kluski, halushki, and pierogi.. it's a delicious carb-fest.

There are a couple of them: Beef Stroganoff, Goulash and electric skillet fried chicken. All Mom's specialties. Damn that woman can still cook like a tornado at 74 yrs old.

Kohlrabi. Grandpa would pick one or two and slice it with his pocket knife while we walked around his garden. Grandma would have it in the fridge too, to snack on.

Mom used to make a basic tuna noodle casserole with peas. Nothing fancy, but I liked it. I don't think I've made it since I grew up and moved away from home. I remember she used crumbled saltines for a topping.

My best friend's family was always poor. But they always had chickens, and so we ate a lot of fresh eggs. And they made beans often. And cabbage. And stuffed cabbage. And we'd make stuffed cabbage sandwiches with miracle whip and welfare cheese. So now I love me some beans for breakfast, with eggs and toast.

I can't say that I like it, but it is a memory. I remember when I was little my dad and grandfather would pour buttermilk in a glass and add sliced onions and chunks of cornbread. I've never seen anyone else do that.

I have a few things:

- Can't get it around here at all but both SWMBO and I miss the haddock fish fry's from CNY.
- I don't care what Seinfeld called them. They're "Half-Moon" cookies, not black and white cookies - moron. Would love to have some of those again...
- And Jax cheese puffs, not even Cheetos come close.
- Anyone remember Quisp cereal? Always thought it was better than Cap'n Crunch.

I forgot canned whole chicken.
Try and find that now. The wife will do it for me once in a while when we find older chickens for sale.

When I was growing up in the fifties and early sixties my dad would buy pork rinds that came with a condiment pack of hot sauce. He's been gone 38 years but I still put hot sauce on my pork rinds. Always Frank's btw.

real, proper dutch carrot stamppot with spek and smoked sausage.

P1120408.JPG

dutch brown bean soup, as made by my grandma's recipe.

bruinbsoep.jpg

Not really weird, but have a few nostalgic foods.

Boiled natural casing hot dogs. Can think of lunch at the grandparents. We probably only ever microwaved our hot dogs so the snap was a treat. Now every once in awhile I'll boil some dogs and steam the buns.

Another one would be PB&J with a cup of coffee. I would do that one after afternoon college classes. I also used to make hummus served with focaccia.

Actually makes me think of a lot of things I used to cook. Used to have more time on my hands. Maybe someday I can get my kitchen reorganized.

My Mom used to make these cheese ball appetizers - I believe it was a jar of Olde English cheese spread and some Bisquick, or maybe flour, you made a dough, pinched off a ball and wrapped it around a pimiento-stuffed olive, then baked. I could eat a dozen of them easy!

My Dad and I used to really enjoy eating liver, onions, and bacon together. My sister and my Mom wouldn't touch it, except my Mom would cook it for Dad and me. It's hard to find any more.

And canned sardines/crackers! Another thing my Mom and sis would run screaming rather than eat, Dad and I had it all to ourselves. Even better if the sardines were in mustard sauce.

Did that the other night. Made it like hamburger helper. Good combo.

In 1969 we used to get shrimp cocktail in little 7 or 8 oz glasses from the grocery store. We'd save the glasses & use them as juice glasses.
My Mom's potatoes. She just sliced up taters & fried them in a skillet with a bit of salt & pepper. I've tried to make them as good as she did, but haven't been able to get it just right in 40 years.
Turkey heart. I always loved to eat the turkey's heart on Thanksgiving. Mom would pull the giblets out & boil them to make gravy & I would always ask for the heart. I was just 3 or 4 when I got my 1st taste of heart, but I've loved to eat it ever since.
Regards, GF.

"Goose Liver" (braunschweiger) sandwiches my grandmother would make me. Still eat them now and then but most people freak out on it. Delicious to me though!

Someone already mentioned fried salmon patties with the bones in them. When people balked, my mom would remove them but she and I would share them!

My late Aunt Gladys' fried chicken on a Sunday afternoon. I've never had anything better. Some special way she cooked it... And then there were the prized livers to go with them... OMG!!! Dunked in some southern cream gravy.... Dang I'm hungry now!

Never heard pierogi called Varenyki. What type of stuffing. Cabbage or mushrooms are my favorites. Always like farmers cheese or potato and cheese. Not a fan of the fruit ones.
It’s a Ukrainian word for them.

Heh, I actually like the fruit ones. Dry cottage cheese with dill, meat-filled, and the classic potato and cheese were always my favourites.

grandfather would pour buttermilk in a glass and add sliced onions and chunks of cornbread. I've never seen anyone else do that.

Milk or buttermilk. My grandpa and I do the same, never with onions in though, green onions on the side. Sometimes a jalapeno or serrano chili.

For a sweet treat, regular milk, no onion. Add a spoonful of sugar.

My mom would roast a fresh ham with the rind scored, and she called the crunchy browned skin "noise". We also would get the shrimp cocktail in the juice glass, it was a treat at the time. Fried liverwurst sandwich fried onions and mustard, was a step up from a cold sandwhich. Miss her.

My grandma used to make apple fried pies. Mmmm. Nobody else makes them like she did.
Tritip grilled over oak, with pinquito beans. My North Carolina and SoCal roots showing.

I guess I'd better speak for Italian Americans: Grandma's lasagna was pretty wonderful. As a child any time I was offered my favorite meal (my birthday, for instance) I always chose lasagna. It's a bit rich for me now, I don't eat it often.
My mother used to make tuna casserole with potato chips as the filler, no noodles or pasta. That was comfort food. I can't eat that either, as I'm allergic to potatoes now. :(
What the hell, I can still drink beer!

Just reading this thread hashed up some fond food memories from my childhood, all of which I still eat to this day.

I have to agree with the OP, pickled herring is fantastic. It has to be the wine sauce, not cream sauce, and it must be Ma Baensch brand. No other brand is close!

Braunschweiger for the win. I grew up eating Usinger's sausages, everything they make is seriously amazing. A Braunschweiger sandwich with onion and some pepper is wonderful.

Perhaps my favorite thing is raw beef sandwiches. Go to the butcher and request good, somewhat lean, fresh ground sirloin and serve it raw on small dark rye bread slices topped with red onion slices and black pepper.

My mom would roast a fresh ham with the rind scored, and she called the crunchy browned skin "noise". We also would get the shrimp cocktail in the juice glass, it was a treat at the time. Fried liverwurst sandwich fried onions and mustard, was a step up from a cold sandwhich. Miss her.

Oh yum, now why did I never know of this? Gotta try it!

Ox tail, my father had a colleague that drove regularly 200km with instructions that my mother do ox tail for dinner.

Liver in caul fat cooked on open fire.

Sump (cracked corn) and beans, an African dish. Grew up with lots of beans and maize but always separate. But in my late teens did a stint in army and spend a lot of time in rural areas where it was staple fare and athough it is seen as a poverty dish it is comfort food to me.

Last edited:
Cracklins, the crispy fatty chewy skin off of the ham when it just comes out of the oven.

Next day lasagna, spaghetti sauce, ham&beans and potato au gratin. While lasagna is always good, something about those are better on day 2.

Spaghetti bolognese, made by my mom because she's the best cook I know. Cauliflower sauteed in butter as a side dish for nearly anything.

If you want to please your kids, don’t miss the site http://verytasty.us/sweet-sandwiches-with-banana-and-chocolate/ which gives you a wonderful recipe. I have prepared sweet sandwiches with banana and chocolate for my two junior school boys and one dish wasn’t enough for them, so they asked for more. Sandwiches disappeared so quickly! Now I am looking forward to the next weekend when I’ll be able to cook them again.

Latest posts

Back