What are your contrarian/"unpopular" beer opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have to support a craft brewery just because they AREN'T BMC. You still have to make good beer or beer that's pleasing to my palate. I shouldn't just throw money at you because you aren't someone else.

Very well said !

Another one - it's dying some lately but I still see it.

I do not have to support a craft brewery just because they AREN'T BMC. You still have to make good beer or beer that's pleasing to my palate. I shouldn't just throw money at you because you aren't someone else.
Hmm true. But I'm way way more likely to support a local brewery multiple times even if their beer isn't to the standard of the larger craft breweries. I guess I'm at a point now where I don't buy macro at all including any of the formerly craft breweries that are getting bought up. If I'm at a restaurant and my options are macro brands or no beer, then I'm not drinking.

AG brewing is overrated stick to partial mash with extract

I learned AG from the beginning of my brewing and with the equipment it is just as easy as extract, takes more time, but not difficult. You also do have more control of the ingredients. To each his own. For me I don't mind the extra time required to mash, my brew day is a brew day, not a few brew hours. By the time I'm done I have usually consumed much beer and the day is spent regardless of time. :tank:

I learned AG from the beginning of my brewing and with the equipment it is just as easy as extract, takes more time, but not difficult. You also do have more control of the ingredients. To each his own. For me I don't mind the extra time required to mash, my brew day is a brew day, not a few brew hours. By the time I'm done I have usually consumed much beer and the day is spent regardless of time. :tank:
Yea I don't think anyone thinks it's difficult. Brewing is no more difficult than cooking. You (mostly) follow a recipe and the quality of your ingredients get you there. Better ingredients, better equipment etc will improve it, but I mean come on let's be honest most of the work is being done by the yeast. The hands on time in brewing is pretty small, we just like to think we're super important in the process. Lol

Yea I don't think anyone thinks it's difficult. Brewing is no more difficult than cooking. You (mostly) follow a recipe and the quality of your ingredients get you there. Better ingredients, better equipment etc will improve it, but I mean come on let's be honest most of the work is being done by the yeast. The hands on time in brewing is pretty small, we just like to think we're super important in the process. Lol

Right! I say brew tasty beer, if it happens to fit into a style call it that, if not its an ale/lager, it Fxxxxng beer, drink up. :ban: :mug:

Yup, if anything I go out of my way to **** with style. End up with stuff like a bock with a bunch of brown malt and a good bit of Northern Brewer hops at flameout.

Loved that beer. Only one bottle left :(

Style means nothing. I think Dogfish Head established that rule years ago. Like Bosh, I go out of my way to intentionally **** with styles to make something new and creative, something you can't get on the market. Why not?

Also, does anyone avoid buying IPA's at bottle shops, and only drink them at breweries/bars? The beer is often guaranteed to be fresher and more flavorful, due to less degradation/oxidation of the hop compounds. Example: it's hard to find an exceptional IPA. Tried Golden Road Wolf Pup session IPA on draft the bar I worked at at. Tried it many months later in a 15pk of cans. They must've sat on the shelf for several months because the beer stated nothing like before. All the juicy fruity tropical notes were gone. Tasted like grass n malt. Just another IPA.

I just stick to buying other styles when I got to the bottle shop, unless I can see a very recent manufactured date on the bottleof the IPA. Hah, good luck.

Also, does anyone avoid buying IPA's at bottle shops, and only drink them at breweries/bars? The beer is often guaranteed to be fresher and more flavorful, due to less degradation/oxidation of the hop compounds. Example: it's hard to find an exceptional IPA. Tried Golden Road Wolf Pup session IPA on draft the bar I worked at at. Tried it many months later in a 15pk of cans. They must've sat on the shelf for several months because the beer stated nothing like before. All the juicy fruity tropical notes were gone. Tasted like grass n malt. Just another IPA.

I just stick to buying other styles when I got to the bottle shop, unless I can see a very recent manufactured date on the bottleof the IPA. Hah, good luck.

I won't buy *any* beer without a packaged date or a 'best by' date that can easily be cross referenced to the packaged date. For an IPA i won't go older than 4 weeks, and i pretty much limit myself to cans. Seems like everything in bottles is no good. There are some exceptions though (Goose Island IPA is one that seems to be consistency fresher longer).

As much as i hate to admit it, I will walk out of the store with a 30-rack of some fresh cheap swill before i drop $9-12 on a 6er of questionable quality.

These days I always seem to be disappointed with commercial IPAs unless its super fresh cans. Ever since i started doing low-oxygen IPAs at 1lb per 5 gallons my perception of what an IPA can be has been changed and i can't go back.

I agree. Too many times I've been burned buying beer (any style but especially IPA's) from some smaller brewery with either little control or little care about their beer. I know, once it leaves the brewery they don't have much in the way of control of how it's handled but I've even been burned buying cans at a brewery where they had total control and what I brought home I couldn't manage to drink which was a fine example of an oxidized IPA. Tasted quite different on draft. Three strikes and you're out for a brewery is my MO....unless what I try is truly awful on the second round, then I'll only give it a 3rd try if I get the beer for free. Free beer always tastes better.

My contrarian comment? Commercial beer should ALWAYS taste better than my homebrew. Not contrarian enough for you? Try this:

I think women only beer events/clubs/activities are a bad idea. I enjoy events that include all homebrewers/beer enthusiasts and in addition us women often can pick out aromas and flavors better than some men so it's silly that they'd want to be exclusionary. Beer is about being social and sharing. Isn't it? Don't be afraid, I can handle your comments which may be contrary to mine.

Right! I say brew tasty beer, if it happens to fit into a style call it that, if not its an ale/lager, it Fxxxxng beer, drink up. :ban: :mug:

Agreed, If everybody stuck to style there wouldn't beer dessert beers, NEIPA's wouldn't exist, as someone else said most of Dogfishead's beers wouldn't be made, etc. Some breweries have put themselves on the map because they were willing to blur the lines, and now it's more of a trend than ever.

As for buying IPA's I have stopped for the most part, just because when I have the urge to have one I don't see enough difference in what's commercially available. All the large breweries want to use The C hops/Mosaic/Chinook, etc, with another variety mixed in. In the end there just isn't enough of a flavor difference for me to care anymore.

I look for the few that break out of the box and use different hops, instead of using the old standby's with something new in the background for some "subtle notes."

Batch sparge is easier and works just as well as fly sparge.

I never rehydrate dry yeast, even if the package tells me to.

Really strong, bitter IPAs are overrated.

I think both extract and all grain beers are great. I've made plenty of all grain beers I wasn't happy with while making some really nice extract beers that surprised me. I will say though that extract is mostly used as a time saver when I'm busy and just don't have time to brew all grain while needing some beer.

I will drink BMC beers if they're free.

Style means nothing. I think Dogfish Head established that rule years ago. Like Bosh, I go out of my way to intentionally **** with styles to make something new and creative, something you can't get on the market. Why not?

I agree. Here are a couple data points that support your thought.

1. I recently went to Canfest in Reno. I thought none of the numerous IPAs were as good as my best ones, which I serve from a keg. But when I go to San Diego, there is a brewery on every corner that has a high probability serving at least one IPA that blows my socks off. It's getting that way in Reno, too! But I bought a Pliney the Elder 6 pack at a liquor store there that was totally non spectacular. Compared it with a clone I had on tap and there was no comparison.

2. Costco has been selling bombers of good dry hopped beers for the last couple of years. Their turnover is amazing! The ones from a Coronado Brewery near San Diego are as good as on tap in Coronado,. They dry hop aroma was excellent. Stone "Enjoy By" brews were there for a while with early date code and were similarly great. Yet some of the liquor stores have had very expensive IIPAs in bottles that taste more like an aged barley wine. Guess they are the place for buying beers meant to be aged:mug:

Visiting breweries is overrated. I went to New Glarus this past weekend and while it was lovely outside and it was great to have a beer in their beer garden, it was a complete waste of time. Their self guided tour was pointless and while I enjoyed the beer, $8 for a 12 ounce beer was a total rip off. It seems like a lot of other breweries in recent years have really gotten rid of or shrunk the tours or started charging for it. Instead of breweries inviting people to visit as part of its marketing and out reach, it's now all about making money off us. Besides brew pubs, I'm never going out of my way to visit breweries that aren't in people's homes from here on out.

Visiting breweries is overrated. I went to New Glarus this past weekend and while it was lovely outside and it was great to have a beer in their beer garden, it was a complete waste of time. Their self guided tour was pointless and while I enjoyed the beer, $8 for a 12 ounce beer was a total rip off. It seems like a lot of other breweries in recent years have really gotten rid of or shrunk the tours or started charging for it. Instead of breweries inviting people to visit as part of its marketing and out reach, it's now all about making money off us. Besides brew pubs, I'm never going out of my way to visit breweries that aren't in people's homes from here on out.

my counter point would be, how many tours do you really need to see? many of them are the same.

As an engineering researcher who uses statistics, I cannot talk enough crap about Brulosophy. I can't even bring it up in public without ranting. Sigh, one day I will learn to control myself

I've had results that have directly contradicted some of their articles and I trust my tongue more than them but at least they've gotten people asking some of the right questions.

I've had results that have directly contradicted some of their articles and I trust my tongue more than them but at least they've gotten people asking some of the right questions.

they have directly contradicted themselves

http://brulosophy.com/2017/03/06/hop-comparison-galaxy-vs-mosaic-exbeeriment-results/

insist on using the P-Value even though statistics experts emphasize that its use is limited and over used

http://www.amstat.org/asa/files/pdfs/P-ValueStatement.pdf

and continue to put together shoddy experiments with absurdly small sample sizes

http://brulosophy.com/2017/09/04/fe...p940-mexican-lager-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

It's an insult to the scientific method, and their pop-sci approach has people believing them far more than they would believe the average blogger.

Hop Chronicles is their greatest contribution to the field of homebrewing. Not these "experiments".

well see, I can rant online just as well as offline

I cannot stand hoppy beer. With all the hop madness these days it can be difficult to find a good beer that does not have 15 pounds of hops dumped in it.

I cannot stand hoppy beer. With all the hop madness these days it can be difficult to find a good beer that does not have 15 pounds of hops dumped in it.
While I do like some hoppy beers I agree it's gotten a little absurd, and it's very hard to find a well balanced beer or a malty beer done right

While I do like some hoppy beers I agree it's gotten a little absurd, and it's very hard to find a well balanced beer or a malty beer done right

Blue moon is my favorite beer poured over two muddled orange slices

I do brew my own to keep it real

As an engineering researcher who uses statistics, I cannot talk enough crap about Brulosophy. I can't even bring it up in public without ranting. Sigh, one day I will learn to control myself

I know you're probably just a guy, but I can't help reading your post with the voice of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. It's really not meant as a slight, but its sort of fun to do.

I know you're probably just a guy, but I can't help reading your post with the voice of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. It's really not meant as a slight, but its sort of fun to do.

it was not written to be devoid of character. I am fully aware of and embrace tropes. If anything, instinctively leaning towards Comic Book Guy is a compliment

You should check out the "Do "professional" brewers consider brulosophy to be a load of bs?" thread. It sounds like that would be right up your alley :rockin:

You should check out the "Do "professional" brewers consider brulosophy to be a load of bs?" thread. It sounds like that would be right up your alley :rockin:

Yes, plenty to rant about over there.

[rant]
this turbid "NorthEast IPA" fad that's the latest stampede ... stupid.

I overheard a brewer recently that said, "my latest NEIPA came out clear, I was so disappointed!" :rolleyes:

And another thing, there is NO such style as NEIPA, so you northerners need to get over yourselves. The only appropriate style is 21B where the appearance may be "slightly hazy", not turbid and/or muddy.
[/rant]

:p

That IS a contrarian opinion; even the BJCP doesn't agree with you. (See, like, all of page "v")

It is amazing how zealous some engineer types can be about their stats. The thread has explored more about triangle tests than I believed possible. But it is a fun read as long as you take it as that :) :mug:

My work involves not letting things that cost hundreds of millions of dollars hit something. Zealotry is basically mandatory

My contrarian/unpopular opinion, is that there is to much worrying about boil times and DMS. Short or long boils never had an issue.

Back