What are you reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Srs. I think I read it once a year... Hyperion was my favorite of the Cantos, but I'll probably read through them all again this year. Just because Dan Simmons is a pimp.

I'm glad Hyperion comes so highly recommended on here, I think the short description of the plot must not be written well. I added it to my wishlist none the less.

Thinking about picking up The Ringworld books, maybe take a break from high fantasty/fantasy to dabble in the sci-fi adventure genre since its been a very long time since I've gotten into a sci-fi series.

How did you like Words of Radiance? I just finished it and wishing I had another book to read from the series but sadly they are not out for awhile. Need to start another book series to distract from waiting for Winds of Winter.

I loved both of those books, as well as having read all of The Mistborn series and Steelheart/Firefight. Those last 2 are a little more on the teen side of reading imo, but still good books if you like Sanderson.

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong It's the sequel to John Dies At The End. Just started it, 2 chapters in. So far it doesn't seem to be quite as good as the 1st book, but it might get better.
Regards, GF.

This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong It's the sequel to John Dies At The End. Just started it, 2 chapters in. So far it doesn't seem to be quite as good as the 1st book, but it might get better.
Regards, GF.

Its good, but its no John Dies at the End.

Looking for something right now. I picked up Don Quixote (again) and realized within 2 pages why I have never read it, so I put back on the shelf to look pretty. I then downloaded Picture of Dorian Gray...but I'm also just not feeling that one and don't think I'll continue reading it.

I just finished The Godfather, which was great, and I think I'll read the other Puzo books in the series, but I don't like reading related books one after the other.

I am toying with the idea of reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. Anyone ever read that one? Obviously a classic, but does it hold the attention of a reader of today?

John Dies at the End?

Good read? Never heard of it.

If I recall correctly it was written by some guy on Reddit who calls himself David Wong. It is... weird. Think of it as a B horror/comedy type of book with a lot of dick jokes thrown in. Do not expect much logic, but overall it is a fun read. Was turned into a movie that used to be on Netflix and now I think you can still find on Amazon Prime Video

Edit: Is it just me or is the word Amazon linking to the website for you all as well. I swear I did not do it.

If I recall correctly it was written by some guy on Reddit who calls himself David Wong. It is... weird. Think of it as a B horror/comedy type of book with a lot of dick jokes thrown in. Do not expect much logic, but overall it is a fun read. Was turned into a movie that used to be on Netflix and now I think you can still find on Amazon Prime Video

Edit: Is it just me or is the word Amazon linking to the website for you all as well. I swear I did not do it.

He's the Head Editor for Cracked.com.

So yes, tons of dick jokes. Fun read.

Also, the movie was on Netflix for some time (might still be)... pretty decent.

Just read "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Good read.

I had one issue with the book, but I'm not going to get into it because I don't want to give away any spoilers. ;)

the_martian.png

Just read "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Good read.

I had one issue with the book, but I'm not going to get into it because I don't want to give away any spoilers. ;)

I just finished this, and I friggin' loved it. Can you write your issue out in code? I agree that it's hard to talk about in public, since it's a really easy book to spoil.

Also just finished The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell. Not as good as The Bone Clocks, but seriously captivating stuff.

Working through The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan. I like the book and the whole Wheel of Time series but its still slow going sometimes, especially when its a library book due in like 2 weeks.

Working through The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan. I like the book and the whole Wheel of Time series but its still slow going sometimes, especially when its a library book due in like 2 weeks.

You got a kindle? I may be able to loan my copy to you for 2 weeks or so, so you can finish it up. If I can remember my logon that is.

Currently reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. So far so good!

I just bought that on the Kindle, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I'd read Ender's Game years ago, but just read Ender's Shadow and I'm currently working on Speaker for the Dead.

I also bought Aziz Ansari's new book, Modern Romance. That was more of an impulse buy since I'm into comedy and he's hilarious, but after I read it I'll be sure to post here.

Into book 3 of the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson. Really good sci-fi book. Well, more of a fantasy series I guess.

I like his writing style, although there are times where I have to read a sentence a couple of times to get the meaning. Small issue, I know, but I do think it's usually possible to rearrange a sentence for easier understanding.

I loved the first one. Second was fine. Did not care for the ending at all, though.

I'd read Ender's Game years ago, but just read Ender's Shadow and I'm currently working on Speaker for the Dead.

I also bought Aziz Ansari's new book, Modern Romance. That was more of an impulse buy since I'm into comedy and he's hilarious, but after I read it I'll be sure to post here.

Sounds like we have a similar taste in books.. lol... Speaker for the Dead was one of my favorites in that series.

Just finished Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear. First was one of my favorite fantasy books so far, second sucked. Having a real hard time finding fantasy genre outside of ASOIAF that arent too cheesy.

I cant help but remember this when I see someone reference Speaker for the Dead. I had Microsoft Reader and the .lit version of that book on my computer years ago. Accidentally hit the 'read it to me' button and got the biggest laugh everytime it said "piggies". Sounded like the computer was laughing. Gotta load the book on my kindle and see if the read it to me guy sounds similar.

You got a kindle? I may be able to loan my copy to you for 2 weeks or so, so you can finish it up. If I can remember my logon that is.

Thanks but shouldn't be a problem finishing it. I've only got like 200 pages.

Reading An Unfinished Life by Robert Dallek,which is a JFK bio and I m dipping into Forever Rumpole by John Mortimer

Just finished The Mistborn Trilogy, now I am moving on to start Dune.

Would highly recommend Mistborn, particularly if you want a quick 3 book romp. It's not as light as I thought it was going to be, it was fast because after I finished the 1st book the other two books I read in the time frame of 5 days.

Always juggling a few at a time:

The Panther - Nelson DeMille
Island of the Sequined Love Nun - Christopher Moore
The Narrows - Michael Connelly
The Great Shark Hunt - Hunter S Thompson

Currently reading Allow of Law, by Sanderson. It's the fourth book in the Mistborn series, but happens in a future period. The time is set in what we would consider the Old West era, but in the Mistborn world. It's pretty interesting so far. Kind of an Old West Crime Solving story but with Allomantic and Feruchemy powers.

You liking the sequels? I read the first trilogy and loved it at first, last stuff started losing me though. Still good.

Currently reading Allow of Law, by Sanderson. It's the fourth book in the Mistborn series, but happens in a future period. The time is set in what we would consider the Old West era, but in the Mistborn world. It's pretty interesting so far. Kind of an Old West Crime Solving story but with Allomantic and Feruchemy powers.

Interesting, so the gunslingers are just coinshots (to just pick one)?

Its a good thing Sanderson is such a prolific/fast writer. After reading Words of Radiance, then going to pick up Mistborn, I am really interested in the direction he takes the Stormlight archive. If you only read the two books out in the Stormlight archive you think "oh, Sanderson doesn't have cajones to kill characters". Considering the sort of stuff that happens 1/3rd the way through Mistborn, I'll bet the 3rd book in the Stormlight archive will get crazy as well.

The Bonehunters. Book 6(?) of the Malazan book of the Fallen series.

Dense, heavy fantasy series. So far I think it is awesome but must admit there are parts where I am bored or need a break after the book. With 10 books in the series and each one (so far) 900-1200 pages that is to be expected.

Just finished Ham on Rye, Post Office, and Women by Charles Bukowski. I like his writing, but I'm not overly enthralled with these as stories.

Just started Fight Club. Wish I had read it before seeing the movie. Seeing it through the Norton/Pitt/Carter prism instead of my own head is always less fun...

Dawnthief by James Barclay. Pretty meh fantasy novel. Recently moved and the library in town is super small and limited. If I want to read anything specific I have to request it weeks in advance.

I usually keep a few going too:

Dove (Robert Lee Graham's Circumnavigation at 16)

World Cruising Routes (Jimmy Cornell...really more of a reference book so reviewing more than reading every bit)

A few others that Ive let sit too long to count as active

Slowly working my way through Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Welcome to Galt's Gulch! :tank:

If you decide you like the philosophy and want more, let me know. I've been building a reading list of objectivist fiction novels.

As for me, I'm currently reading Alpha by Colin F Barnes. So far it's a bit like Logan's Run, not bad.

Back