What are YOU reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've been on-again off-again working my way through Frank McCourt's Teacher Man. I've already read Angela's Ashes and 'Tis. I highly recommend them.
I'm also reading little bits of Radical Brewing before going to sleep

corkybstewart said:
I'm reading 2 books on the Kindle.
In the Garden of Beasts, the story of the American ambassador to Germany from 1933 until the war. This is my serious book.
Hunger Games just for something lighthearted.

That's a pretty serious book if Hunger Games is your lighthearted read. Read that series in earlier this year when I was laid up with a broken foot. Loved them.

Just finished the third book in the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston. It's called Half the Blood of Brooklyn. A little on the gory side for my taste but still an awesome

That's a pretty serious book if Hunger Games is your lighthearted read. Read that series in earlier this year when I was laid up with a broken foot. Loved them.

Just finished the third book in the Joe Pitt series by Charlie Huston. It's called Half the Blood of Brooklyn. A little on the gory side for my taste but still an awesome

Hunger Games was OK. Quick read, started out great but petered out by the end. Didn't continue series.

i just finished the few terry prachett books that the library had. good stuff.

Currently reading Crime and Punishment. Pretty good.

Oh I love Dostoevsky. Have you read any of his other novels? The Brothers Karamazov is great if you're down for a long read.

I'm finishing up Tom Clancy's "Games of State" then I'm thinking "Angels and Demons".

Finished 'Gain" by Richard Powers .. then finished "The Associate" by John Grisham

Currently reading 'Yeast' ...

Brewmaster's table by garret Oliver

I'm only through the beginning sections but I'm learning a lot about the different styles of beers and their history. He talks about pairing beers and food together. I find it pretty interesting. (Plus he takes a lot of jabs at the BMC group too)

I have audiobooks playing almost constantly when I am at work.
I'm currently on book 6 of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. Only 14 more to go after this one.
The one's I am listening to are read by Patrick Tull. There are others read by Simon Vance that are just HORRIBLE. Mr Tull is awesome however. Very very enjoyable. I don't see myself pausing the series for several more books at least.
I've stacked up 3 Audible credits while I've been on these. Off to browse Audible for some new books.

I read multiple books at once to suit whatever mood I might find myself in:
Currently: Stephen King's The Stand, Alamut by Vladimir Bartol, The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.
Just returned to the library: Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, The Trial by Franz Kafka, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

I just went through my book shelf and found some books I haven't cracked into yet. Some Cormac McCarthy, Mark Rogers and Stephen King. I just got out of my "classics" and "required reading" kick...

I read multiple books at once to suit whatever mood I might find myself in:
Currently: Stephen King's The Stand, Alamut by Vladimir Bartol, The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan.
Just returned to the library: Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, The Trial by Franz Kafka, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

I just went through my book shelf and found some books I haven't cracked into yet. Some Cormac McCarthy, Mark Rogers and Stephen King. I just got out of my "classics" and "required reading" kick...

In the Cormac McCarthy dept, I recommend The Road ... but you have probably already read that..

The Michigan Beer Guide
North American Whitetail mag
The Bleacher Report on U-M football
High Yield Investing
Bells Eccentric Cafe tap cam

I can't sit still long enough for books.

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Waiting on the last book in the series so I am re-reading books 1 thru 13

I love Robert Jordan. He does some of the best character development that I've ever read. You can really get lost in that world he created.

I read the series as a teen. I was truly obsessed with it, even to the point of owning a reference book called something like, "The World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time". I got to book 9 and actually felt really sad that I'd have to leave that world for such an extended pesoriod of time to wait for #10. Shortly before #10 came out, I heard that next book was not going to be 11, but rather a prequel!

This frustrated the hell out of me and I kind of gave up on the serious, especially because of how emotional I got the first time I had to stop.

Being in high school at the time, as I said, one of my English teachers, on the first day of classes, asked everyone what their favorite book was. This being a gifted class, the answers were pretty predictable - Michael Crichton, Stephen King, Tolkien, and a bunch of classic literature, especially ones that had been studied in previous English classes (1984 was extremely popular.)

I was last to go and mentioned the Wheel of Time. The teacher got excited and said her whole family was really into fantasy. However, she recommended another series by a different author, which she claimed to just be better written. She was definitely right about that, yet I just wasn't as able to become immersed into the world of these new books.

The series? "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin. Another fantastic fantasy series, and HBO has recently turned it into an incredible TV series. IMO, only Breaking Bad is able to compete with it for the label of the best thing on TV.

Love me some Wheel of Time! I've actually started to read some of Sanderson's other work (he's the guy who's finishing up the Wheel of Time), and it's pretty darned good too. I tried reading Song of Ice and Fire, but about the 8th time that Martin got me really invested in a character only to kill that character off, I had to walk away... Killing a few characters here and there to keep things exciting and dangerous is one thing. Building up characters to the point your reader starts to thing "oh, so it was HIS/HER story all along" only to kill them off is just no fun for me to read.

Almost embarassed to admit it, but right now I'm reading the latest Sookie Stackhouse book - it's one of the few series SWMBO and I both read and enjoy...

I agree, the killing off of such central characters is frustrating, but it's refreshing in a way at the same time. I mean, in almost every single story, you know some characters are just "safe", and not only can kill a lot of the suspense, it also weakens the conflict a lot of the time. I mean, I get emotionally invested in characters to, and when they're in a dangerous situation, I can kind of calm myself down knowing that they're obviously going to find a way out.

Not so with this series. Dangerous situations truly ARE dangerous for any character that's involved. It's an uncomfortable feeling for me in these kind of spots, but it really should be. Likewise, when a character I've really gotten to become intimately familiar with dies, I genuinely feel sad, sometimes to the point of despair. It's just not the same with stories that are too afraid to kill characters off after spending a lot of time developing them. It's an intensely dysphoric feeling, for sure, but I think that any piece of fiction able to work your emotions like that is nothing short of great.

That being said... how far did you read?

I agree, the killing off of such central characters is frustrating, but it's refreshing in a way at the same time. I mean, in almost every single story, you know some characters are just "safe", and not only can kill a lot of the suspense, it also weakens the conflict a lot of the time. I mean, I get emotionally invested in characters to, and when they're in a dangerous situation, I can kind of calm myself down knowing that they're obviously going to find a way out.

Not so with this series. Dangerous situations truly ARE dangerous for any character that's involved. It's an uncomfortable feeling for me in these kind of spots, but it really should be. Likewise, when a character I've really gotten to become intimately familiar with dies, I genuinely feel sad, sometimes to the point of despair. It's just not the same with stories that are too afraid to kill characters off after spending a lot of time developing them. It's an intensely dysphoric feeling, for sure, but I think that any piece of fiction able to work your emotions like that is nothing short of great.

That being said... how far did you read?

Excellent series. I'm waiting on DoD to arrive from Amazon any day now.

**SPOILER****

I threw the book against the wall when Catelyn Stark grabbed Black Walder's shirt and realized he was wearing mail under it. Ugh...I haven't been that upset by in book in a very long time.

The reviews I've seen for DoD have been good, but six years is a long time to write a book - hopefully he can start bringing the story lines together.

To be honest, I don't remember if I bailed part way through Storm of Swords or Feast for Crows. And for me to bail out part way through a book just doesn't happen. That was one of three or four books I can think of that I ever bailed out on.

And honestly, his handling of the latest book kind of turned me off too... When Storm of Swords came out, Martin insisted he had written way too much and had to cut it in half, so DoD was supposed to come out pretty quickly. And at least every couple month he'd post on his website "it'll be ready when it's ready, stop asking already!" To make claims like he did and then get upset with fans for trying to hold him to them doesn't seem to say much for what he thinks of his fans.

I just got this sent to me from my Vintage Base Ball Buddy "Gypsy" who is the security director of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, and who started an annual historic Base Ball Tourney on the island. I'm so excited to dig into this. Anybody read it?

397862_10150525275404067_620469066_8873136_968549336_n.jpg

George RR Martin's Game of Thrones. I watched the first season on HBO and went out and bought the 4 book set for the nook app on my iPad. Good book so far.

George RR Martin's Game of Thrones. I watched the first season on HBO and went out and bought the 4 book set for the nook app on my iPad. Good book so far.

I am about 2/3 the way through the first Game of Thrones book myself. I am also reading Microbrewed Adventures by Charlie Papazian.

just finished "The Magician King" by Lev Grossman. Its the follow up to "the Magicians". Good stuff.

Nothing heavy. Re-read James Herriot series over last few months. He was an English Veterinarian who wrote about animals and life as a country vet mid 20th century.

All Creatures Great and Small
All Things Bright and Beautiful
All Things Wise and Wonderful
The Lord God Made Them All
Every Living Thing

Latest posts

Back