What are YOU reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper, My wife just finished War and Peace, and is enjoying Dr. Zhivago. She also suggests The Brothers Karamazov, and Anna Karenina. Pretty meaty I think, good for autumn?.. I like a little less drama. Running after Antelope is quick and well written. The last American Man is interesting, and poorly written. If you like Steinbeck you probably have read some Hemmingway. To have and have not is great.

I read Crime & Punishment, Anna Karenina and the Brothers Karamazov last fall/winter, during my Russian kick.

The year before, it was mostly Hemingway, mixed in with some others. I picked up some Faulkner last year, too.

I finished East of Eden last night. I'm so sorry it's over. I have a couple books to start tonight, but I'm not sure which one I'll go with yet.

Right now:

"Patent Reform Trainwreck Averted." ptslaw.com

In 15 minutes:

Vranesh's Colorado Water Law, 2nd Ed.

Books are evil. They are the same old words rearranged into differing patterns with the sole intent of adjusting your brain cells to fit their own nefarious purposes.

I firmly believe that books are trying to take over the world by slowly, and deliberately taking each individual and gradually adjusting our ideas until they meet as one in a soup of their own making designed to enslave us all.

Ever noticed how they all have an ending, yet books still trick us into reading another? I propose that there never really is is an ending until we reach the final ending that they have planned for us.

Mark my words. Books are the evolution of the mind, yet the devolution of individuality. If every person on Earth were to read all the books in the world, we would all eventually become slaves to Amazon.com.

You can't say I didn't warn you!

Suckers!!

Books are evil. They are the same old words rearranged into differing patterns with the sole intent of adjusting your brain cells to fit their own nefarious purposes.

I firmly believe that books are trying to take over the world by slowly, and deliberately taking each individual and gradually adjusting our ideas until they meet as one in a soup of their own making designed to enslave us all.

Ever noticed how they all have an ending, yet books still trick us into reading another? I propose that there never really is is an ending until we reach the final ending that they have planned for us.

Mark my words. Books are the evolution of the mind, yet the devolution of individuality. If every person on Earth were to read all the books in the world, we would all eventually become slaves to Amazon.com.

You can't say I didn't warn you!

Suckers!!
You should read Fahrenheit 451. I think you would like the antagonist.

John Adams by David McCullough.

There's a book that tells you even more about whaling than Moby Dick? Jeez. I mean, Melville is fantastic, but I must admit, sometimes those parts of MD bog even me down a bit ...

I'm with you on that ... those parts are a struggle to get through

Here's what I'm reading right now:

Brew Like a Monk
The Adventures of Henrietta Street - Lawrence Miles (Dr. Who novel)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (bedtime reading for the kids)
The Jesus Incident - Frank Herbert
A collection of Philip K Dick short stories
The Sirens of Titan - Vonnegut
The Anubis Gates (I leave that one in my Jeep in case I'm ever waiting for someone or eating lunch alone.)

I'm working on Walden right now. Read parts of it in school, but never had to read the whole thing. Now, it's something that interests me so I bought a copy a month or two ago.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians Book 2 "The Sea Of Monsters" by Rick Riordan

I am no reader, but my 21 year old is reading them, so I am trying.

I've been really itching to read Dave Eggers' most recent book, Zeitoun, which came out a year or so ago. Hopefully in the next week or so.

hey Palefire,
today I saw two copies of the Eggers book at the "new" library on Geary near Divis.
I have tried to read his fiction, but lose interest. I do love his autobiography a heartbreaking work of staggering genius- and re-read it every year or so.

Currently reading "Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920's" by Frederick Lewis Allen - fascinating history of the 1920's. Not just the stuff in the history books, but everyday life, fads, what people were interested in, etc. He has a couple of others, one a history of the 30's "Since Yesterday: The 1930's in America" and one about changes in America from 1900-1950, "The Big Change: America Transforms Itself". All available for download at no charge from Project Gutenberg Australia.
http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterA

Interesting reading if you like that sort of thing.

It's nearly fall here in the UP. Even though it's over 80 degrees today, there are a few leaves changing and there's been a chill in the air in the evenings. It's dark by about 8PM now.

Each fall, I start reading classics. I was on a Doestoevsky kick for a while, along with Tolstoy. This time, I picked up a couple of John Steinbeck books at a rummage sale.

Wow! I forgot how wonderful Steinbeck was. His prose is like poetry, and the themes are deep. His characters all have a depth to them, and he probes themes like "good" and "evil". I'm reading East of Eden now, and it's much different reading it as a middle aged person that it was back in high school.

Summer time is for "beach" trash type books, and I've read my share this summer too! But what are you guys reading for fall? What's the stuff that still blows you away by how good it is?

I will admit i am not much of a reader, if i am reading anything it is either on Fish keeping,cooking, brewing or the Vietnam war.

Currently reading Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" and Charles Bamforth's "Beer Is Proof God Loves Us"

Bouncing back and forth between Neal Stephenson's "Snow Crash" and Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Runes of the Earth" the first book in the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -- haven't decided yet which is more painful to work through...

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

It's kinda like reading the news everyday...

Americas foreign policy since the 1940's. It's a great read doesn't have chapters but goes through each presidents foreign policies and what happened and how they made decisions.

I've been on a Terry Prachett kick here of late. I love the Night Watch series in particular. Kind of Sam Spade meets Tolkien with a heavy dose of sarcasm. Can't tell you the funny looks I get when I lol in public while reading.

I am working on the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. Just started on "Transfer of Power".

Brewing: Brewing Better Beer: Master Lessons for Advanced Homebrewers
Recreation: The Power of Less

I'm reading 2 books on the Kindle.
In the Garden of Beasts, the story of the American ambassador to Germany from 1933 until the war. This is my serious book.
Hunger Games just for something lighthearted.

Re-read "1984" last month. Hadn't read it since college. Almost forgot how great it was.
I've been meaning to give "Ulysses" another read too. I need to be prepared for that though.

Starting Vonnegut "The Sirens of Titan" shortly.

Back