what are you guys using for heating in your chambers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this little guy - so far so good...

IMG_20171007_1329053.jpg

Fair point bearded - but the ceramic heaters also have a thermostat so there are two layers of protection there... I guess it also depends on space and requirements. Mine are kept in an outside garage and I plan on running them when outside temps get to the freezing point.

I use a bird bath de-icer. Seems to work fine. Used a hot pad for a while and it bunched up and burnt. Never use one of those again.

Another vote here for the Lasko, but ambient temps usually mean I leave the darn thing unplugged and unnecessary--but I have a very small 5G pail sized homemade chamber cooled with a very small 1.5cf dorm fridge.

In my chest freezer I use a 32 watt Fermwrap heating element, laid against the back wall of the freezer. With an STC-1000+ digital temperature controller.

Any suggestions when outside ambient could be -10F? Probably cart it inside, but that's what I was trying to avoid, lifting 12 gallons of brew. Dream of a chamber outside I can roll a fermentor into, and maintain ferm temps regardless of the extreme weather here. Probably a big NO, but in case another brewer is in a similar situation and has come up with a solution.

Thanks for the thread, OP.

Any suggestions when outside ambient could be -10F? Probably cart it inside, but that's what I was trying to avoid, lifting 12 gallons of brew. Dream of a chamber outside I can roll a fermentor into, and maintain ferm temps regardless of the extreme weather here. Probably a big NO, but in case another brewer is in a similar situation and has come up with a solution.

I used my 200w space heater in a upright freezer in my detached garage last year. Worked great when we had a week in the single digits. It even turned off at times, I figured it would run constantly. I think it was set for 65degs. or so.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XDTWN2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

The freezer insulation works both ways, even a relatively small space heater should have no problem maintaining ferment temperatures when it's cold.

Also, there's no rule against having more than one heater plugged in.

The freezer insulation works both ways, even a relatively small space heater should have no problem maintaining ferment temperatures when it's cold.

Also, there's no rule against having more than one heater plugged in.

Looking forward to this, and seeing how we do over a WI winter, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back