What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of a grape cidery thing. I fermented 3 quarts of Concord grape juice and a quart of water, without adding any sugar. Bottled it like beer or cider. ABV should be somewhere around 6% or just a little less. I tried it because I like apple cider, but apple juice disappeared off the market for a while, then when it came back it was as expensive as grape juice. (price seems to be coming back down towards normal now)

It looks really pretty, and it tastes okay but not as good as apple. Maybe it just needs a little sweetness. It was an interesting experiment and not a total failure, so I'll take that as a win. :)

Last edited:
HB Scottish Ale
559B205B-0902-42FE-AF7A-ADEDC57D3E29.jpeg

Enjoying the fruits of this year’s adventure with OLY-400 Bananza. Last year, I learned that you can’t do the traditional hefe cold start/warm finish with this strain. This year, I learned it’s still a hefe strain, so it needs some abuse to get it to give up the goods. It’s a bit bland, but I’ll re-brew next weekend. I’m confident that I’ve got its number.
8EF5B4AF-98BF-4127-8A3D-57DA5D8C6478.jpeg

And Numero uno, dos , tres , quatro. cinco, seis... Love HBT! Enjoy your brews folks!

View attachment 763826

You seem to enjoy Two Hearted.

Last year, I decided to bite on one of Mr. SeanJWalker's good deal posts. This one offered three hoppy US beer kits from N. Brewer for a nice price. I hadn't brewed a hoppy US ale in years and it had been decades since I brewed a kit, so I decided to check it out. The Two Hearted kit was really good. Really, really good. Not just in the ballpark, but on the diamond. My only objection was the amount of C40. They call for a full pound, I think .5lb gets the job done and stay out of the way of the hops.

Here's a link to their recipe. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/AG-DeadRingerIPA-1645639684581.pdf

I wonder how difficult it would be to brew with gingersnaps? Hmm...🤔

Toss 'em in the blender, turn them into dust, then dump them in the mash tun and let the enzymes sort 'em out.

It's really that simple, but I wouldn't count on it to carry through to the glass.

To do that, I think you'd need to think about the flavors you want to carry over. When I think of gingersnaps I think of husky molasses sweetness followed by the sharp bite of dried ginger. I don't like molasses in beer, nor do I have much experience with dried ginger.

I think this is totally do-able, but I'm not the guy with answers for this one.

[edit] I've been thinking about your recipe and I really like the idea of Windsor yeast for this. It seems like a perfect application. It should leave enough body in the beer that the dried ginger burn gets pushed back into the finish. I think a more attenuative strain would front-load the ginger burn and goof up the profile that you're trying to create.

I'm at the ragged edge of my knowledge on this one.

Thanks, though, for the fun mental exercise. I've enjoyed it. :bigmug:

Last edited:
Feels like spring.
I just bought six of those myself. Probably won’t crack one until tomorrow though!

HB NZ pils. Keg kicked a couple nights ago but this is one of the straggler bottles. I can definitely taste the difference but still good stuff.
075A265D-37BF-4799-94BE-A1B8ABE672E0.jpeg

You seem to enjoy Two Hearted.

Last year, I decided to bite on one of Mr. SeanJWalker's good deal posts. This one offered three hoppy US beer kits from N. Brewer for a nice price. I hadn't brewed a hoppy US ale in years and it had been decades since I brewed a kit, so I decided to check it out. The Two Hearted kit was really good. Really, really good. Not just in the ballpark, but on the diamond. My only objection was the amount of C40. They call for a full pound, I think .5lb gets the job done and stay out of the way of the hops.

Here's a link to their recipe. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2785/6868/t/3/assets/AG-DeadRingerIPA-1645639684581.pdf

I'm actually brewing the double dead ringer with some ingredients I have on hand in the next month or so I have a pound of centennial sitting in the freezer.

Two hearted is a great beer!

I'm actually brewing the double dead ringer with some ingredients I have on hand in the next month or so I have a pound of centennial sitting in the freezer.

Two hearted is a great beer!

Indeed it is.

You're free to mock me, but I've only had one bottle of Two Hearted in my entire life. I don't drink much commercial beer. I have nothing against commercial beer, I'm just a lot more interested in my beer.

That said, that single bottle of Two Hearted left a mark on me. It's one of those insanely well-designed beers that becomes a lighthouse for brewers awash in a sea of pretty good beers.

Enjoy brewing the double dead ringer, you're going to destroy that recipe!!!:rock:

Indeed it is.

You're free to mock me, but I've only had one bottle of Two Hearted in my entire life. I don't drink much commercial beer. I have nothing against commercial beer, I'm just a lot more interested in my beer.

That said, that single bottle of Two Hearted left a mark on me. It's one of those insanely well-designed beers that becomes a lighthouse for brewers awash in a sea of pretty good beers.

Enjoy brewing the double dead ringer, you're going to destroy that recipe!!!:rock:
I'll be sure to post a pic and maybe some brew day ones too! What's funny is I love stouts and English bitters more but ever since I had two hearted it hooked me lol.

IMG_20220314_124933.jpg

I'll be sure to post a pic and maybe some brew day ones too! What's funny is I love stouts and English bitters more but ever since I had two hearted it hooked me lol.

Nice. Yeah, we're in the same boat. When I had my bottle of Two Hearted, I was neck-deep in trying to brew the very best Mild the world had ever known. Two Hearted touched my tongue in the same way that a hydrogen bomb produces an exothermic reaction. It's certainly exothermic, but it has so many more implications. It was one of those before/after events in my development as a brewer.

Nearly ten years later, I'm finally getting a chance to turn my attention back to hoppy US beers (I'm a rather methodical brewer) and I'm having the time of my life. It's easy to fall into the slapdash, just chuck some grain and hops at it and it'll work out fine mindset of US brewing, but then you see such a simple, stark, and beautiful recipe like Two Hearted...

It's good stuff.

Really good stuff.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Every time I crack one open, I am amazed that a beer created 42 years ago still remains relevant.

I kind of like to think of it as the Bohemian Rhapsody of beer.
I agree, and they continue to make great brews. I’ve always been a fan of their Torpedo.

Toss 'em in the blender, turn them into dust, then dump them in the mash tun and let the enzymes sort 'em out.

It's really that simple, but I wouldn't count on it to carry through to the glass.

To do that, I think you'd need to think about the flavors you want to carry over. When I think of gingersnaps I think of husky molasses sweetness followed by the sharp bite of dried ginger. I don't like molasses in beer, nor do I have much experience with dried ginger.

I think this is totally do-able, but I'm not the guy with answers for this one.

[edit] I've been thinking about your recipe and I really like the idea of Windsor yeast for this. It seems like a perfect application. It should leave enough body in the beer that the dried ginger burn gets pushed back into the finish. I think a more attenuative strain would front-load the ginger burn and goof up the profile that you're trying to create.

I'm at the ragged edge of my knowledge on this one.

Thanks, though, for the fun mental exercise. I've enjoyed it. :bigmug:
(I know this is the wrong thread for this type of discussion. It might be a good topic for a new discussion)
I brewed a beer with just a little hops and a lot of ginger (both dried and fresh) 2 months ago. I used Cote des Blanc wine yeast because it doesn't attenuate well (about like Windsor or even less.) I wanted some residual sweetness. I did not add any molasses because I don't like it in beer, but some dark invert syrup might work to give you that molasses-y flavor without the iron. The beer did not turn out very good, but that's not the CDB's fault; it has a lot of body and head, and some nice esters. I just needed more ginger, maybe some black pepper, and perhaps that dark invert instead of the rice I used.

I think CDB has potential for brewing British style ales. I will try that soon.

Last edited:
Was going to try to keep up with brunch but found my battery died.

Jumped the battery and hit this new brewery of a brewery that just started serving. Let's hope I start up. Beers are fantastic. Located on n an old old mill

@Hoppy2bmerry it's a skunk works from Medusa. Definitely worth the trip if your up from NY. Small place but beer is fantastic.

Had the foeder pils and wine barrel trippel
IMG_20220325_133144.jpg
IMG_20220325_134513.jpg
IMG_20220325_134549.jpg
IMG_20220325_134700.jpg
IMG_20220325_134108.jpg
IMG_20220325_133712.jpg

Back