What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying a sample of my Märzen, and wow!! 😀 One of the nicest brews I've ever made. 1.052 - 1.004 in 5 days (oops!), and I'm going to leave it for another week or so. Beer was blooping every few seconds at 6:30 this morning, hovering at 28ºC / 82F (!) still with 1" of thick krausen. Got home at 19:30 tonight, the krausen is gone, and it's only percolating every 40 seconds. Incredible yeast this Krispy! I will brew with it again, and I cannot wait to carb this one up. I'm sure it isn't going to last very long! 🤣

Marzen_Sample.jpg

Last edited:
88F25FB0-4E96-49F1-8210-4086BAF7A2D1.jpeg
08E5AF45-C004-4E40-BAC6-E58019F4A7CB.jpeg
Home brew club night. Many home brews and craft beers shared but the Pale Ale is the only picture I took tonight. Back home and decided the 32oz grumbler shouldn’t sit till tomorrow being there was a glass full left (small turn out) so I’ll drink my HB BA Stout and watch TNF.

Anyone brewing German gets my upvote..
Carbonation and clarity sample of my Märzen. It’s got a ways to go for both, but I’m impatient. Not quite as malty as the German examples I’ve had recently, but still pretty tasty.
View attachment 746523
Looks delicious!

Last edited:
Carbonation and clarity sample of my Märzen. It’s got a ways to go for both, but I’m impatient. Not quite as malty as the German examples I’ve had recently, but still pretty tasty.
View attachment 746523
Struggled with maltiness in many of my malty brews. Not sure I ever nailed it either. Maybe some or more Vienna and warmer mash. Decoction is a bit more work but might help, might even be kinda fun but never tried it. Anyway, looks nice. I'd gladly drink it with ya! 🍻

That's why I never tried it but I have always kinda wanted to. Watched Don O do it years ago and was mildly intrigued. Seems unpredictable though....
I tried it for the first time on my HB Oktoberfest marzen over a month ago. My usual four and a half to 5-hour Brew day was 9 hours! The beer tastes pretty awesome though, and I finally kegged it last week. I'm still going to lager it for 12 weeks total before even trying it carbed up. It does have multiple layers of maltiness, and different caramel notes that I usually don't get.

Struggled with maltiness in many of my malty brews. Not sure I ever nailed it either. Maybe some or more Vienna and warmer mash. Decoction is a bit more work but might help, might even be kinda fun but never tried it. Anyway, looks nice. I'd gladly drink it with ya! 🍻
Mine is 27% Vienna already. 154 degree mash. It tastes good. I think my taster is still messed up from my bought with covid a few weeks ago. There is a huge thread about the taste of German lagers in another forum. I would say that's what is missing. It does taste fairly similar to another sample from a brewery in Nebraska I've been drinking. I tried a decoction on a Schwarzbier a while back and I'm not convinced it's worth the effort. I might throw in a handful of melanoiden next time I brew this.

View attachment 746520View attachment 746521Home brew club night. Many home brews and craft beers shared but the Pale Ale is the only picture I took tonight. Back home and decided the 32oz grumbler shouldn’t sit till tomorrow being there was a glass full left (small turn out) so I’ll drink my HB BA Stout and watch TNF.

I love that your brave noise post showed up right after Modern Times. Suarez pics later tonight.

Back