What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First beer of the weekend!
5 day kegged NEIPA.

6.8%, 1.017 FG, hopped with Cryo BRU-1, Cryo Motueka and Cryo Vic Secret.

Fermented with Lallemand Koln, my "secret weapon" in juicy IPAs.

Absolute banger. I'll actually share the recipe at some point.

PXL-20231103-173508167-PORTRAIT.jpg

Sounds great.
Cryo Vics? Malt Miller?

First bottle of the SN Tumbler clone. Used @passedpawn's recipe, with a few minor tweaks, based on what I had on hand. Triple Perle for bittering, EKG/Triple Perle for flavor/aroma, US-05 instead of S-04. 1lb. of Briess cherrywood smoked malt.

It's been 8 or 10 years since I've had the original, and it's not distributed anymore. But I think it's close, based on my memory. It's been bottled about 2 weeks and could use a bit more time.

1000016461.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit of a cool and windy night, so I thought I'd pop-open a HB Wee Heavy bottled in August this year. The recipe is pretty straightforward. Maris Otter and a bit of Roasted Barley. Barely any hops. 8.5% ABV and a FG of 1.025. One of the best I've brewed this year. Trying to age these bottles has proven to be difficult.

IMG_9085.jpg

Last edited:
It's a bit of a cool and windy night, so I thought I'd pop-open a HB Wee Heavy bottled in August this year. The recipe is pretty straightforward. Maris Otter and a bit of Roasted Barley. Barley any hops. 8.5% ABV and a FG of 1.025. One of the best I've brewed this year. Trying to age these bottles has proven to be difficult.

View attachment 833088

I brewed a 9.0% wee heavy last October, and bottled in November '22. It took about 9 months before it really started developing its flavors. In August I placed them in the fridge, then polished off what I thought was the last bottle last week. Then a few days ago I discovered 8 bottles in a box in my crawlspace, which is at about cellar temps. Just put them in the fridge--they are a year old. I tried one and it's even better.

Keep trying one every so often, but be sure to stash some away and "forget" about them until next year. You won't regret it.

I brewed a 9.0% wee heavy last October, and bottled in November '22. It took about 9 months before it really started developing its flavors. In August I placed them in the fridge, then polished off what I thought was the last bottle last week. Then a few days ago I discovered 8 bottles in a box in my crawlspace, which is at about cellar temps. Just put them in the fridge--they are a year old. I tried one and it's even better.

Keep trying one every so often, but be sure to stash some away and "forget" about them until next year. You won't regret it.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Duclaw barley wine packaged 10/23/2019, bought about a month later. 10% abv. Didn't read the label well which states "a demonic hop presence". Not a fan of really bitter beers and this was one! Decided to stick them back and see how they age trying one per year. Last year was still a little too bitter for me but this one is really a tasty drink. Quite malty, full mouth feel, a little sweetness. Should have just stuck them all back.
IMG_20231103_173049.jpg

First bottle of the SN Tumbler clone. Used @passedpawn's recipe, with a few minor tweaks, based on what I had on hand. Triple Perle for bittering, EKG/Triple Perle for flavor/aroma, US-05 instead of S-04. 1lb. of Briess cherrywood smoked malt.

It's been 8 or 10 years since I've had the original, and it's not distributed anymore. But I think it's close, based on my memory. It's been bottled about 2 weeks and could use a bit more time.

View attachment 833086
hot dog, I know what I'm brewing this weekend.

The snow had finally melted and I was able to get out and collect the latest layer of leaves in our yard. Trees still have about 1/3 of their leaves remaining. Usually the trees haved dropped by late Oct but our "extended summer" this year pushed things back a few weeks.

Now relaxing with an o-fest and reading the Zymurgy that just arrived today.

1000016526.jpg

Latest posts

Back