What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First bottle of a gluten free lavender saison. This came out fantastic! The lavender is just enough to play nicely with with the yeast. I used it sparingly in the whirlpool and then added a bit via a tincture. Finishes dry AF.

b0lw54X.jpg

Well the green crap I call a lawn finally got mowed even though a steady rain started after I was about 10 minutes into it the first time today. Sun reappeared and dried things out enough to go back out. Anyway, here’s a can of mystery beer from Pittsburgh PA. (Three cans made the flight) the first one was a stout and this one is a perfectly tasty stand in for a lawn mower beer. Never mind that mockingbird bird getting ready to poop on my hops. It’s going to rain some more and wash that forshizle away.
032A876E-A403-4D23-91B4-3871BEDCDDEF.jpeg
EA694472-7AA8-489A-A7C3-9F471766E410.jpeg

What looks like effervescence in this Sour Monkey by Victory Brewing is actually a bunch of brewing or fermentation crud still in suspension, possibly yeast. Trub, crud, what’s the difference. 9.5% ABV, Pilsner malt, Tettnang hops. Pencil width of head disappears in seconds, zero lacing. I read somewhere that brewing is the one field where you sell your rejects to your friends to drink.

This beer tastes like feet to me. Even though I’ve only had several feet in my mouth over the years, I think I enjoyed the real feet more than I’m enjoying this beer. Who releases “beer” like this???!!!!!!

Save your money. This one’s a dumper, right down the warehouse sink!

IMG_5219.jpeg
IMG_5224.jpeg

Last edited:
What looks like effervescence in this Sour Monkey by Victory Brewing is actually a bunch of brewing or fermentation crud still in suspension, possibly yeast. Trub, crud, what’s the difference. 9.5% ABV, Pilsner malt, Tettnang hops. Pencil width of head disappears in seconds, zero lacing. I read somewhere that brewing is the one field where you sell your rejects to your friends to drink.

This beer tastes like feet to me. Even though I’ve only had several feet on my mouth over the years, I think I enjoyed the real feet more than I’m enjoying this beer. Who releases “beer” like this???!!!!!!

View attachment 829005View attachment 829006
Gawd, why would anyone take a good tripel and funk it up like that? Thanks for the warning and sorry it was a dumper!

Gawd, why would anyone take a good tripel and funk it up like that? Thanks for the warning and sorry it was a dumper!

Many would say it’s a very good beer. Seems my entire local club loves it & one member brews a clone/tribute regularly. Victory is a quality brewery. Old & or mis-handled cans from Penn to Cali seems more likely. 🙂

Many would say it’s a very good beer. Seems my entire local club loves it & one member brews a clone/tribute regularly. Victory is a quality brewery. Old & or mis-handled cans from Penn to Cali seems more likely. 🙂
Ya, it was a rhetorical question, and I’m not a sour fan, though I brew them on occasion mostly for competitions or an unintentional opportunity happens.

Ya, it was a rhetorical question, and I’m not a sour fan, though I brew them on occasion mostly for competitions or an unintentional opportunity happens.

No worries! I’m not big on sours Ither, though my hb pal’s rendition of sour monkey is very nice. Just in case you weren’t super familiar with Victory, didn’t want you to sour on them. 😉 Their golden monkey was an early craft beer turn on for me & their pilsner is immaculate.

All Day IPA with a beef roast that slow cooked all day. Hot beef sandwiches tomorrow.
View attachment 829024

Been meaning to clone that or brew my own hoppier version of All Day. Mostly so I can pour 16oz pints with little guilt!

OT. Shite, Riwaka is tasty. So tired, gotta’teach’ at 9am but this is so good …

IMG_0942.jpeg

Been meaning to clone that or brew my own hoppier version of All Day. Mostly so I can pour 16oz pints with little guilt!

OT. Shite, Riwaka is tasty. So tired, gotta’teach’ at 9am but this is so good …

View attachment 829031

@JAReeves kinred spirits! Nice to connect with others across sub distances.

No worries! I’m not big on sours Ither, though my hb pal’s rendition of sour monkey is very nice. Just in case you weren’t super familiar with Victory, didn’t want you to sour on them. 😉 Their golden monkey was an early craft beer turn on for me & their pilsner is immaculate.
Yup I’ve enjoyed Golden Monkey. 😄

Kegged a brown porter earlier today, then spent several hours explaining to bwible how I make clear lagers...cripes, I had no idea it was that complicated. I just thought you mixed the grain and the hops together with the Rocky Mountin Water...

I had no idea it was gonna need the doing of the numbers and the doings of the rithmatics and the knowings of the instruments and the ingineering of the doohickies.

This stuff is seriously complicated.

Honestly, I have no clue how we do it.

1.046 brown porter that stinks of chocolate malt. I've been looking forward to this one for about four months.
F3E363AC-72AF-4908-9B7D-49BC080A2F52.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed. Have had some very fine Victory beers lately. Their Paloma grapefruit pale ale is a new favorite of my wife's. Although in comparison to my beer, almost anything tastes good to her.

This beer tastes like feet to me. Even though I’ve only had several feet in my mouth over the years, I think I enjoyed the real feet more than I’m enjoying this beer. Who releases “beer” like this???!!!!!!

View attachment 829005View attachment 829006
If you hate stinky feet beer, don't ever try a Jester King sour! I would stick with Berliner Weiss for sours if you can't hang with the stinky feet (bacteria/pedio).

I taste small amounts of diacetyl when others can't. Sensitive taste buds are a curse! 🤣

It's official now. Coos Bay, Oregon is our retirement spot. Anyone familiar? Should be 3.5yrs away after GD graduates from HS. Doesn't hurt to take an early look.

Somehow this 10% $2drink seemed appropriate. 😉

View attachment 829055
I'll be waiting for the hot tub invite :)

Ironic? Putting on a tribute song this Monday at 4:55 while opening a great package from @pshankstar Labor Day week had a lot of overtime and was long. First bottle I pull out is Margarita. Coincidence?

OT: now I'm thinking about vaca and a sweet mug I got on sale on my beer run on Saturday. Song reminds me of an old college girlfriend and a long lost weekend at an unexpected first Buffet concert
PXL_20230911_205941262.jpg
PXL_20230911_211853384.jpg

Back