What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB pre-prohibition porter:
View attachment 781629
Thank you for reminding me about this style. For years, I've been thinking, "I really need to look into Pre-Pro Porter. I keep forgetting, though. Especially now that I'm coming off the Panther Piss adjunct lager project, there's never been a better time to put that knowledge to work.

I'm in the process of writing my Winter/late Winter brewing schedule and I'm going to slot this in, thanks to you. I'm looking forward to writing this recipe, it's going to be fun.

Again, thank you.

One last Ukrainian, and more pups.
20220923_102256.jpg
20220923_191713.jpg
20220923_102247.jpg

Thank you for reminding me about this style. For years, I've been thinking, "I really need to look into Pre-Pro Porter. I keep forgetting, though. Especially now that I'm coming off the Panther Piss adjunct lager project, there's never been a better time to put that knowledge to work.

I'm in the process of writing my Winter/late Winter brewing schedule and I'm going to slot this in, thanks to you. I'm looking forward to writing this recipe, it's going to be fun.

Again, thank you.
Two words, as you start thinking about recipes:

Chocolate. Rye.

Two words, as you start thinking about recipes:

Chocolate. Rye.
Rye.... Yeah, I can see that. I like that.

When your post hit I was thinking, "Okay, take the dark version of the fizzy yellow swill recipe and swap in chocolate malt. I guess the Munich malt should go, but it's not...and then what? How do I make this interesting?"

Rye is a good answer.

Did you use 6-row in yours? I don't buy it by the 50-lb sack, so it's kinda expensive. Seeing as how hot domestic 2-row has become, I don't see the reason. I doubt I'll be able to pick out that nice 6-row flavor in a Porter.

Once more, thank you!

Rye.... Yeah, I can see that. I like that.

When your post hit I was thinking, "Okay, take the dark version of the fizzy yellow swill recipe and swap in chocolate malt. I guess the Munich malt should go, but it's not...and then what? How do I make this interesting?"

Rye is a good answer.

Did you use 6-row in yours? I don't buy it by the 50-lb sack, so it's kinda expensive. Seeing as how hot domestic 2-row has become, I don't see the reason. I doubt I'll be able to pick out that nice 6-row flavor in a Porter.

Once more, thank you!
I started with Weikert’s recipe (here). I went with the English pale malt, the English crystal, the little bit of Carafa special, and the chocolate rye, but used pale instead of Pilsner, skipped the molasses, and used 34/70. I’ll likely fiddle with a lot of those variables, but the chocolate rye is a keeper.

3 sips. That's about right.
That stuff was good!

The thing that amused me was that you could see the first line where I was sipping and writing my Beersmith notes. Then you could see the second line where I was dropping my likes on the "What are you drinking now?" thread. A third line was lost to the convex sides of the glass when I started making dinner.

Those first couple pours were really chunky.

I started with Weikert’s recipe (here). I went with the English pale malt, the English crystal, the little bit of Carafa special, and the chocolate rye, but used pale instead of Pilsner, skipped the molasses, and used 34/70. I’ll likely fiddle with a lot of those variables, but the chocolate rye is a keeper.

Really appreciate the help.

Yeah, it's coming together now. I'm actually working on it as I write this. Otter will take the place of Munich, I'm going to ditch the crystal, but use 4oz of Brown malt (to be a porter in my brewery you need to have brown malt in your grist).

Chocolate rye: I didn't know they made that. Cool!

The Mrs. and I had a mini date night at Delaware Supply in Albany, NY (they are hosting Cantillon’s Zwanze Day tomorrow). Enjoyed some Ayingar Marzens and Wild East ESBS View attachment 781719
I’ll be minutes away from The Veil tomorrow for Zwanze Day, but it’s a last minute trip so no tickets for me. And we are having lunch at Mekong on Sunday, literally right in front of The Answer….8 Year anniversary this weekend.

I am just a little curious, what's your pale ale recipe?
50% 2 row, 50% Munich 10. For a 5 gal batch 6 lbs of each; finishes around 1.060. Mash 60 min @ 150. Centennial for bittering, Cascade late, to about 40 IBU, most any ale yeast, the current batch I used Nottingham. Pretty simple recipe.

Theraflu, hot tea and Robitussin. Went on a business trip and came home with COVID 🙄

Had a similar experience, just a week ahead. Work conference last week, felt a little off Saturday, pretty bad Sunday, Covid positive Monday. Made it 2.5 years without getting it, so I feel like I did well. Feeling better, so a beer or two to start the weekend.

image.jpg

Hofbrau Original and a Brat on a pretzel roll yesterday at Oktoberfest on Morey’s Pier in Wildwood, NJ. The Mrs had pumpkin beer. It was a more casual thing and we were about the only ones wearing hats or anything. Still had a good time.

689E043A-4C33-4423-9004-F8D4EF760E47.jpeg

F3FB6044-5849-47FB-9FF0-380CC7C32B4D.jpeg

0C9925E0-F045-4F72-804B-6FC60210A321.jpeg

And my new favorite t-shirt

D88DF95E-2E20-4D14-AD9A-C32265AB2A5D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back