What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEIPA
image.jpg

Party on Garth!

my last HB dark lager. This is almost 6 months old. It dropped brilliantly clear and is better than ever, of course. Kinda sad to see it go.

View attachment 681993
Looks great brother! I just recently got into brewing lager after a long run of ipas and stouts. Can’t lie, I love the precision and the balanced needed for lagers so far. They and Saison/farmhouse beers are going to be my new rabbit hole

That’s interesting. I’m pretty meticulous about ph. Do you monitor ph in the mash and throughout the brewing process?
I do not measure my pH. I use Bru’n Water to work up my water profiles for all my brews and blindly trust it is accurate. In my quest to clone Guinness Draught, I have tried just about everything, I came across this article Dry Irish Stout and was intrigued by the information. Another thing I want to try is to mash the pale malt and flaked barley together with a water profile such as the Wicklow mtns and add a cold steeped tea from the roasted barley late in the boil. Eventually I might nail it.

I do not measure my pH. I use Bru’n Water to work up my water profiles for all my brews and blindly trust it is accurate. In my quest to clone Guinness Draught, I have tried just about everything, I came across this article Dry Irish Stout and was intrigued by the information. Another thing I want to try is to mash the pale malt and flaked barley together with a water profile such as the Wicklow mtns and add a cold steeped tea from the roasted barley late in the boil. Eventually I might nail it.
I’ve found bru’n water to be pretty spot on it’s only ever been about .1 off and that’s most likely due to the srm range of the grains and the municipal water I brew off of.

that’s awesome that you’re trying to tackle the clone. Guinness is great. My wife went to the brewery a few years back on vacation with her family. She said it’s crazy how much better it is in Ireland

My wife went to the brewery a few years back on vacation with her family. She said it’s crazy how much better it is in Ireland
A trip to Ireland is on my bucket list. Some of my ancestors immigrated from there. According to ancestry, my DNA is 37% Irish. My sisters visited a few years ago and toured the village where they were born and visited the church where they were baptized. Obviously Guinness is one of my favorites too, but I’m too cheap to spend $10/ 4 pack very often.

04BB68E7-833E-4DF0-B4FC-4A43C49A6241.jpeg
7B8E501D-C656-4E50-88D1-3D91B6FFE9A8.jpeg
8FB3641E-B20A-479A-B559-7FCFC4AEF0DB.jpeg
D75BEC38-37AB-4350-8E28-41683B2AD322.jpeg
8AE68D76-858C-4847-A2B2-1AD8F6C65A2A.jpeg
Dinner beer while working on the retaining wall. Then a beer break b/c my one battery is shot so I only have one now. Damn it! So I had to let it charge. Then the wombat after I finished and tools put away.
Not too shabby of a job for a rookie! Now I can get dirt to fill it in and the dogs won’t wear it down anymore. The darn roots were showing. Ugh!
Cheers everyone!

Looks great brother! I just recently got into brewing lager after a long run of ipas and stouts. Can’t lie, I love the precision and the balanced needed for lagers so far. They and Saison/farmhouse beers are going to be my new rabbit hole

Thanks! Seems we are on the same path, although I am adding mixed-ferm in with my Saison journey.

Like most beers, lagers are easy but good/great lagers take a little more work and care. Not much to hide behind with the clean flavors.

Thanks! Seems we are on the same path, although I am adding mixed-ferm in with my Saison journey.

Like most beers, lagers are easy but good/great lagers take a little more work and care. Not much to hide behind with the clean flavors.
Same with the mix fermentation my self. Are you in this round of FOTHB ?

You gonna build a house around that thing?

edit:...or did the house burn down?
The previous owners had a terrible walkway and patio of bluestone that took up a 1/3 of the yard so instead of getting rid of all of it. We repurposed what we could. This summer the left side becomes a wood fired pizza/bread oven

I’ve found bru’n water to be pretty spot on it’s only ever been about .1 off and that’s most likely due to the srm range of the grains and the municipal water I brew off of.

that’s awesome that you’re trying to tackle the clone. Guinness is great. My wife went to the brewery a few years back on vacation with her family. She said it’s crazy how much better it is in Ireland
That’s great to know because I blindly trust it too! I read enough positive stories and decided those of you who are meticulous were happy so it was close enough without a ph meter
86B854FF-3406-483B-86B0-FA40CAE8AD9E.jpeg

View attachment 682036View attachment 682037View attachment 682038View attachment 682040View attachment 682041Dinner beer while working on the retaining wall. Then a beer break b/c my one battery is shot so I only have one now. Damn it! So I had to let it charge. Then the wombat after I finished and tools put away.
Not too shabby of a job for a rookie! Now I can get dirt to fill it in and the dogs won’t wear it down anymore. The darn roots were showing. Ugh!
Cheers everyone!

if the dogs were the problem, they'll just dig in there. I've never seen anyone do this for these evergreens. Seems like a waste of wood. I have some roots showing here with same trees.

I'm drinking nothing right now, maybe some water.

if the dogs were the problem, they'll just dig in there. I've never seen anyone do this for these evergreens. Seems like a waste of wood. I have some roots showing here with same trees.

I'm drinking nothing right now, maybe some water.
Well to each their own, but the other problem is the dirt is worn out & the small spot of grass is being killed off. I’m hopeful I can put in a small shed in this area on the other side of the bushes to swap out seasonal equipment.
Plus they don’t really dig it’s just six years of running through there to bark at the neighbors dogs. This should help minimize it.
Onto more beer and another to come soon.

That’s great to know because I blindly trust it too! I read enough positive stories and decided those of you who are meticulous were happy so it was close enough without a ph meter
View attachment 682070
Relax don’t worry, something something. I’m having a home brew. Amarillo ipa. I don’t use a pH meter either.
image.jpg

Back