What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People make the same complaints about Three Floyds. Their beers are very solid, but I don't go out of my way anymore. But I will buy their hoppy stuff when I see it.

EDIT - except for Permanent Funeral. That one is worth seeking out.

The exception is that I'm sure 3 floyds do distribute a most of there beer. Almost everything at JK you have to go to their location to pick up. For me its a 3hr drive. It never hits the shelves even when they have enough that they can send out. They send out the crap they do not care about.

People make the same complaints about Three Floyds. Their beers are very solid, but I don't go out of my way anymore. But I will buy their hoppy stuff when I see it.

EDIT - except for Permanent Funeral. That one is worth seeking out.

I stopped chasing the special release/once only beers, the hype never added any enjoyment for me.

OT: OJ and onto coffee

Good luck. There should be Colorado beer when you get home.

Coffee in the office.

TY. Can't wait.

I wish it were shipped during winter so I could pop one open on the front porch when it arrives.

I'll get your homer OEC stuff on Saturday as a consolation prize. :D

Water with hard-boiled eggs.

The exception is that I'm sure 3 floyds do distribute a most of there beer. Almost everything at JK you have to go to their location to pick up. For me its a 3hr drive. It never hits the shelves even when they have enough that they can send out. They send out the crap they do not care about.

I've seen Black Metal on shelves. I bet they care about Black Metal. It sure tastes like they care.

But aside from that,you're right. They have the most ridiculous business model I've ever seen.

More lately. We still see 1-2 bottle limits on most stuff and it flies off. I have a shop here that tells me stories all the time of people cussing them out bc they're holding ZD for regulars. It's pretty crazy.

That said, I've had exactly 2 oz of JK beer, so I'll hold my judgment about whether the hype is worth it. But I rarely will drive any distance to buy beer, so I feel you on that.

More lately. We still see 1-2 bottle limits on most stuff and it flies off. I have a shop here that tells me stories all the time of people cussing them out bc they're holding ZD for regulars. It's pretty crazy.

That said, I've had exactly 2 oz of JK beer, so I'll hold my judgment about whether the hype is worth it. But I rarely will drive any distance to buy beer, so I feel you on that.

JK makes some really good stuff. As a whole, considering the hype, it's probably not one of the top sour breweries in the States. However, I'd say 4 out of the 7 or so beers I've had from JK, I really loved. Would I wait in line for anything I've had from JK? Not one minute.

This was my favorite:
e968fd6e0a5dc88bab33a2b5680a1dd4_640x640.jpg

Black metal was probably the one I liked least.

You'll have some when you get home too ;) Is it cold enough for you to open them when you unbox?

if you like 70+ degree beer, then it would be cold enough. :D It's been crazy around here - supposed to be in the 80s this weekend.

FedEx typically delivers to my house after 5 anyway, so gonna have to do an instant chill beer

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EukG92Evw3Q[/ame]

still coffee - still in office. i hear a bar calling my name for lunch...

JK makes some really good stuff. As a whole, considering the hype, it's probably not one of the top sour breweries in the States. However, I'd say 4 out of the 7 or so beers I've had from JK, I really loved. Would I wait in line for anything I've had from JK? Not one minute.

This was my favorite:

Wes sent me two JK. The Dichotomous version had I think lavender, rosemary and watermelon juice and it was outstanding. The other one I have yet to drink is Das Wunderkind.

But aside from that,you're right. They have the most ridiculous business model I've ever seen.

What's ridiculous about it? They can sell their beer at the brewery for the same price it would be at a retailer, but instead of having to sell it a lot lower to the distributor, their business gets all the profit. Plus, they have enough hype and know they're going to sell it because people drive from all over to visit their brewery and I'm sure we've all seen pictures of their lines for special releases. Pretty smart to me. If I were to open a brewery, I'd do all in house sales for a long time before deciding to distribute. Why sell your product for significantly less when you don't have to?
It sucks to live in the same state and not be able to get their special release stuff without visiting the actual brewery, but isn't that the same at a lot of breweries?

View attachment 308227
Driveway pour nasty couldnt finish it. Overrated I'll take Jolly Pumpkin anyday.

I had this one fresh at the brewery and loved it. DC got me a couple bottles and they have fallen off. I've got one more, so I'm hoping it turns around.

This was my favorite:

I love la vie en rose. Definitely one of my favorites from them. I was blown away when I found out that was made by refermenting raspberries from atrial. I didn't think that was possible.

Wes sent me two JK. The Dichotomous version had I think lavender, rosemary and watermelon juice and it was outstanding. The other one I have yet to drink is Das Wunderkind.

I agree, the watermelon one was terrific.

Overall it seems like they are getting more adventurous with their additives. Understandably, that has led to some styles that I didn't love, but I still think they make some outstanding beer.

That said, anyone have some detritivore they want to send me instead of drain-pouring? ;)

Finishing up my coffee. Maybe I'll drink some water today.

What's ridiculous about it? They can sell their beer at the brewery for the same price it would be at a retailer, but instead of having to sell it a lot lower to the distributor, their business gets all the profit. Plus, they have enough hype and know they're going to sell it because people drive from all over to visit their brewery and I'm sure we've all seen pictures of their lines for special releases. Pretty smart to me. If I were to open a brewery, I'd do all in house sales for a long time before deciding to distribute. Why sell your product for significantly less when you don't have to?
It sucks to live in the same state and not be able to get their special release stuff without visiting the actual brewery, but isn't that the same at a lot of breweries?

This 100%. One of the reasons I walked away from my "business partners" was that they wanted to distribute the majority of the beer when in house sales are WAY more profitable. Sure, you won't sell as much beer, but why sell a massive quantity when you can sell a smaller amount for the same amount of $$ but less expense?? One of AZ's most successful breweries and the one that is the most hyped follows this model and does not distribute except for special events at taphouses they hand pick. They have doubled the size of their space and tripled the size of their system in just under 3 years.

Anyone know where good bottle shops are in the Hershey/harrisburg area? DuClaw is on tap everywhere around here but not at the beer stores I have been to.

But those breweries are not 45 minutes outside of town in the middle of no where. As a business, I see 100% what they do but as a customer I'm getting frustrated.

45 minutes outside of where? It's only 20 minutes outside Austin....
How else you think all those hipsters go there? They can't make it to JK and back on one charge of their "green" battery operated cars if it's too far out of town.

Anyone know where good bottle shops are in the Hershey/harrisburg area? DuClaw is on tap everywhere around here but not at the beer stores I have been to.

Here is what I found out in addition to Pizza Boy: Federal Tap House, Shady McGrady's (I've been there, some nice bottles, its a smoking bar though in case that is not your thing), Brass Rail Deli by Hershey

If you drove, you should be able to find bottles in Ohio on your way back if you strike out in PA. Statewide distro started last week, and we were the last holdout. Should be able to find all over.

Latest posts

Back