What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water.

So would anyone know what this part is in a 97 Ford Ranger?
When I attempted to start it, I got a click like a button not like a battery click. It does it once then it's just silent. The truck can start with some work by popping the clutch. The click I hear comes from that part but I have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

I know, O/T...it'll be okay.
View attachment 263146

Looks like a vacuum chamber. I do not know the exact name but I think thats what that is. i dont think they clicks though

Bad ignition switch possibly?

Your relay box is right next to that compartment you have an arrow on... could the sound be coming from there?

I'm thinking faulty ignition switch or bad solenoid. Know anyone with a voltmeter?

Your relay box is right next to that compartment you have an arrow on... could the sound be coming from there?

I'm thinking faulty ignition switch or bad solenoid. Know anyone with a voltmeter?

I was thinking the same thing.

Robust Porter after putting away grains from LHBS run.

20150313_162920[1].jpg

Water.

When I attempted to start it, I got a click like a button not like a battery click. It does it once then it's just silent. The truck can start with some work by popping the clutch. The click I hear comes from that part but I have no idea what it is. Anyone know?

View attachment 263146

Low charge/dead battery or starter motor. Does it turn over sometimes? or just click all the time? The starter is mounted near the transmission, if you can get to it sometimes beating it with a hammer will free the brushes inside the motor, allowing it to start. If it does start after that, you need a new starter

on topic: water while watching kids

I think it's the power distribution box and I think it's a solenoid. Not sure if it's an easy cheap fix.

Gonzo Imperial Stout on nitro and a sip of this:
View attachment 263165

Solenoid is def an easy cheap fix, if that's the issue.

25-30 part... can install yourself, but you need to make sure that's the issue before you throw money at parts.

Anyone that knows how to use a voltmeter should be able to help out... or, get me a plane ticket and I'll come by and do it myself.

Will work for beer.

Water.

View attachment 263146

Low charge/dead battery or starter motor. Does it turn over sometimes? or just click all the time? The starter is mounted near the transmission, if you can get to it sometimes beating it with a hammer will free the brushes inside the motor, allowing it to start. If it does start after that, you need a new starter

on topic: water while watching kids

Solenoid is def an easy cheap fix, if that's the issue.

25-30 part... can install yourself, but you need to make sure that's the issue before you throw money at parts.

Anyone that knows how to use a voltmeter should be able to help out... or, get me a plane ticket and I'll come by and do it myself.

Will work for beer.

The arrow is pointing at the vacuum power brake boost.
That year the starter solenoid could be mounted to the starter or on the (corrected->) Driver fender. Either way you should get ~12volts at the small wire during cranking to activate the solenoid.
If it is on the inner fender the 2 larger wires carry the amps. one should be 12volts (hot) all the time and the other side gets 12 volts when the solenoid is working.
If you do not have 12volts at the little wire during cranking problem is some place else in the circuit.

Water and coffee

My English Cider. Looks ugly, tastes great (not much of a cider make so I don't recall for sure but from what I understand the cider I used was heat pasteurized leaving a permanent pectin haze).

20150313_171518[1].jpg

Water.

View attachment 263146

The big black drum it looks like you are pointing at is the vacuum assist for your breaks (the thing that gives the power in the term power brakes). It is not making a clicking noise. These rangers have a notoriously bad connection at the starter that is often the culprit. Clean up the connections where wires go to the starter. (Bottom passenger side of engine) Disconnect the battery before you do!

@PatrickGoss 's Oak Bourbon Porter. Flavor is fantastic - nice balance of bourbon, roasted grains and oak. A little thin for all that flavor, but a damned fine beer! Thanks!
View attachment 263148

(One down, 58 more to go :eek: )

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you like it. I agree with it being too thin, I tried one too many new things on that brew to control it!

Back