What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm digging these Fuller's beers tonight. I like this one better than the ESB.

_DSC3501.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411607666.631598.jpg
My pumpkin porter with a late night oatmeal stout brew session. I really need to stop brewing off a whim and plan ahead

I'm digging these Fuller's beers tonight. I like this one better than the ESB.

That would be because it's better than the ESB ;)

The ESB isn't bad, but it's really a terrible example of the style (hence why in the 2014 BJCP guidelines it's being kicked out of ESB and into a different category). It's closer to a Brown Ale than a Bitter.

That would be because it's better than the ESB ;)

The ESB isn't bad, but it's really a terrible example of the style (hence why in the 2014 BJCP guidelines it's being kicked out of ESB and into a different category). It's closer to a Brown Ale than a Bitter.

Interesting. I hadn't heard that about it getting moved out of the ESB classic examples.

If I recall correctly, it's now in the new "English Strong Ale" category.

Doesn't seem like it should fit in that category either. I've not seen the proposed guidelines for that style, but just on a hunch, doesn't seem like it'll be a good fit.

On paper, IPL sounds like a good idea, but after a certain bitterness level, it kind of masks any lager character there might be in the beer, and doubly so for a DIPL. That said, this is a great beer. Lots of intense floral, piney hop character with supportive malt. I just can't tell much difference between this and a DIPA.

_DSC3503.jpg

Doesn't seem like it should fit in that category either. I've not seen the proposed guidelines for that style, but just on a hunch, doesn't seem like it'll be a good fit.

Basically they narrowed the ESB down to "Strong Bitter" and to examples that fit the Bitter category (which Fullers does not). And then all the stronger, maltier beers formerly qualifying as ESBs (Fullers and Adnams Broadside are two good examples) got moved to English Strong Ale. Basically where all the stronger English ales go that don't qualify as Porters or Stouts or Barleywines or Old Ales.

Essentially the commercial recommendations for ESB in the 2008 guidelines were massive, and it's been split pretty well. I agree with it for the most part.

Meanwhile, decided not to package the SMaSH English IPA (deal with it tomorrow). Finishing the leftover bottle of Tawny Port and calling it a night.

double fisting :D

side by side comparisons of my single hopped ipas.. the kegged younger chinook on the left and bottle conditioned columbus on the right.

20140924_191217.jpg

I jus opened an unlabeled bottle of unknown contents. It's REALLY good! But it took half the glass to realized it was my Munich Dunkel, brewed in December 13, bottled in early Feb. I wish I wud've made more of this!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

Water. On kid-sitting duty today. :D
Ha! Welcome to my world. Doing Big Brew Saturday? I think I'm going to do the porter, without the pumpkin stuff...But buy it and brew later. A lot of stuff currently in-process.

Following fasting for doctor check-up, I'm on coffee with an excellent everything bagel and lox cream cheese.

Ha! Welcome to my world. Doing Big Brew Saturday? I think I'm going to do the porter, without the pumpkin stuff...But buy it and brew later. A lot of stuff currently in-process.

Following fasting for doctor check-up, I'm on coffee with an excellent everything bagel and lox cream cheese.

Shoot I forgot. I think I'm going to beericana. Wonder if I can pay for the recipe over the phone and pick up later.

First taste of my first sour, 4 1/2 months old, gravity is 1.008 so it's still got a ways to go, slightly sour lot's of waiting to go!

I've got 8 gallons of a Brett/Pedio that's been in the conical for almost 3 months. the wait is killing me. but it's already dropped down to 1.004 from 1.072!

Back