What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow: waiting for the landlord's maintenance guy to come and replace our water heater which started leaking Thursday morning (while it was -4F outside). No hot water since Thursday morning. Tonight: hiding assorted brewing equipment so he doesn't get too suspicious (e.g. RIMS tube. Too hard to explain an electric water heater in stainless pipe...). Of course, some of the brew gear has been pressed into hot water duties. This is a useful excuse for owning a large kettle and propane burner.

Also, working out what I can do with the yeast starter that's cold-crashing in the fridge. I guess it'll still be good next weekend?

Watching my sick 6 month old and taking care of my sick wife. No beer brewing but lots of beer consuming this weekend!

Freezing my butt of in -19F cold. Still can't get to the store for spring water, kerosene, etc. Maybe this afternoon? Wanna get the yeast starter going upstairs. Supposed to be 30F tomorrow1 Tropical heatwave! :ban:

Freezing my butt of in -19F cold. Still can't get to the store for spring water, kerosene, etc. Maybe this afternoon? Wanna get the yeast starter going upstairs. Supposed to be 30F tomorrow1 Tropical heatwave! :ban:

Our temperature has been swinging heavily back and forth this winter here in Helsinki, but are you seriously saying that you get a 50 degrees change in temperature in one day? That's like living on venus or something... crazy.

Playing around in the attic, loving me some fiberglass insulation... :ban:

Installing can lights and wiring...

We got 15 cm (6 inches) of snow overnight. Whole family outside shovelling snow today. Kids get snow inside their boots, I don't understand how. Anyway, had to go shopping for some snow-related equipment and mount / assemble those:

I was using one of these:

masi80_300dpi.jpg

And my neighbour was using one of these:

XTP110_lumilinko_espina_11hp.jpg

Our temperature has been swinging heavily back and forth this winter here in Helsinki, but are you seriously saying that you get a 50 degrees change in temperature in one day? That's like living on venus or something... crazy.

Welcome to NE Ohio! If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes they say. Working on a couple of my books this weekend till I get the spring water to brew my kottbusser, maybe this evening? The one book is part two of my home brewing journey. Writing about the history of chilies & beer atm.

Taking my daughter to buy a new leotard for tumbling. That means driving halfway across town to a dance supply store, dealing with overly chipper sales people, and 9 year old angst.

So I'm bracing myself with some bangers & mash and a dampfbier before we leave the house.

Bottling my Cali Common, then planning my next 4 brews!

Boy. I'm in this hobby knee deep... Lol

We'll i brewd yesterday 5 gallon all grain cream ale and an5 gallon all grain nut brown.. Today I'm going to install a secondary regulator so I can do a low carb to but beer on nitro. From what I understand I need to carb to 1 vol before I put on 30psi of beer gas

Work, tinkering with the new Therminator/pump setup, more work, then watching the Pack vs. Seattle.

Hope she's gonna be OK, shingles can get nasty quick. I like that new Ford GT myself. Kinda has some styling cues from Ferrari. Wrote some more of my 2nd home brewing book yesterday. Research can get tedious when you're trying to write at least 250 word processor-size pages.

Flying to Atlanta Sunday morning for 2 weeks training for my new job.

Going out of town to see some friends, going to bring along a sixer of each of my homebrews to convert the unbelievers.

It's almost as good as brewing.

Fixing up my best friends house for sale. The F@$#$% Union strike at the refinery caused the lay-of of over a 1000 folks indefinitely. He is flipping them the bird and going back south.

Not the way I wanted to spend the weekend. I have 20 gallons of beer to keg/bottle.

I brewed a hefeweizen for a party that was scheduled for mid March. I just learned this morning that the party has been canceled.

So this weekend I'm drinking hefeweizen.

I might make my first attempt at getting a starter going from a slant. I think I want to do a Dusseldorf altbier next weekend.

Fixing up my best friends house for sale. The F@$#$% Union strike at the refinery caused the lay-of of over a 1000 folks indefinitely. He is flipping them the bird and going back south.

Not the way I wanted to spend the weekend. I have 20 gallons of beer to keg/bottle.

USW is making it hard for a lot of people that have no direct connection to the refineries. Prior to the strike I was in Whiting 3 days a week and knocking out 36+ hours, meaning I was leaving early on Fridays and not feeling bad about it. Now I'm in the office for my normal 10 hour days and have to work the same on Fridays. Sucks, but that's what happens when you strike against oil companies when the barrel is down. They're happy to have the lower payroll right now.

Bottling an amber I brewed a few weeks ago and starting a batch of sauerkraut as a wild culture.

USW is making it hard for a lot of people that have no direct connection to the refineries. Prior to the strike I was in Whiting 3 days a week and knocking out 36+ hours, meaning I was leaving early on Fridays and not feeling bad about it. Now I'm in the office for my normal 10 hour days and have to work the same on Fridays. Sucks, but that's what happens when you strike against oil companies when the barrel is down. They're happy to have the lower payroll right now.

Yep. The USW honestly was in great bargaining position last time but thought the public outcry while the majority of the country was still in recession would be bad press. Now they are in a position where any reduced production having the replacements run the refinery equals LESS financial loss verse less profit.

Besides, the major sticking point is the first right of refusal for all work. That is just asinine. No for-profit business is going to accept that when the the USW craft (verses contract UNION labor) performance is so poor at anything but operations.

Sorry guys:off:

Not freezing in Indiana and hanging out smoking cigars in Florida. For 8 days. Sadly home on Sunday. Time to brew next week!!! After some bottling

Workin'...it's the busy time right now...working basically 7 days a week. Ugh... I hate it. The overtime money is great, but, I really value my free time more than some extra cash.

I'm going to remove labels from bottles and take my 6 year old to a 1 year olds birthday party. Wooooo ...

I don't know if any of you have been to a 1 year olds birthday party, but it's no party. Especially for a 6 year old.

Back