What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting bored with my arm in a sling, having broken my collarbone on Wednesday in a bike accident that I have no memory of. No beer due to concussion and painkillers.

Still, time to complete my memorial read through of the complete works of Pratchett.

Spent 6 hours rototilling about 450 square feet of my yard to make a new garden. The grass roots were incredibly thick and did not cut easily. I did not finish the job as there is about 2 hours of work left to do in the morning. But the sauna was ready and so I stopped.

Went to sauna and I was already feeling like I had my ass kicked about 15 times by that rototiller. Then I bit into a cheese sausage that was cooking over the wood stove and it shot hot cheese onto the area between my nostrils and I got a huge blister there. Then I tried to take the sausage pan down with the fire poker and it fell off, then I ended up burning my hands in two places. I also got my mouth burned from eating that hot sausage.

In between rounds in the sauna, I went to the shower and when I was washing my ass I felt a hard bump there so I scraped it off. It hurt pretty bad and guess what I found? A tick had buried itself into my ass. I put it on top of my washing machine because I thought it was dead, but after a while it started moving. So I crushed it with my stone shot glass. And then I drank some more shots of salmiakki vodka and more beer and SWMBO washed my back.

I am guessing that I will be paralysed in the morning - permaflat. But I still have rototilling to do before my brew friend arrives sometime during the day.

I hope you are entertained.

Taking some disabled vets out for a day of trout fishing on the lake.
I've never been involved with an event like this and am really looking forward to it.

Spent 6 hours rototilling about 450 square feet of my yard to make a new garden. The grass roots were incredibly thick and did not cut easily. I did not finish the job as there is about 2 hours of work left to do in the morning. But the sauna was ready and so I stopped.

Went to sauna and I was already feeling like I had my ass kicked about 15 times by that rototiller. Then I bit into a cheese sausage that was cooking over the wood stove and it shot hot cheese onto the area between my nostrils and I got a huge blister there. Then I tried to take the sausage pan down with the fire poker and it fell off, then I ended up burning my hands in two places. I also got my mouth burned from eating that hot sausage.

In between rounds in the sauna, I went to the shower and when I was washing my ass I felt a hard bump there so I scraped it off. It hurt pretty bad and guess what I found? A tick had buried itself into my ass. I put it on top of my washing machine because I thought it was dead, but after a while it started moving. So I crushed it with my stone shot glass. And then I drank some more shots of salmiakki vodka and more beer and SWMBO washed my back.

I am guessing that I will be paralysed in the morning - permaflat. But I still have rototilling to do before my brew friend arrives sometime during the day.

Talk about a day.

That is when I realized this was fantasy...I was entertained.

Damn. @podz got me. I missed that part

Yard work and honey-do list, then beers and R&R in the warm June sunshine. Grilling and a cigar later.

Dang man, that was a bad day! I had to drive a 24 1/2' moving truck all day for my older son up narrow streets with parked cars on one side. Narrowest friggin' driveway I ever tried to stick a moving truck in. Like trying to stick it up a nat's a**. Just got back about 10 minutes ago. Gotta fire up the pit next...damn, this cold beer is needed...even with my pain killer this morning (no, not priest), I'm still aching. I hate those narrow streets up around 130th. I had to have my sons get me up in the truck, since my current range of motion in my legs is ****e...

Working on kegerator. Then I'll have to rearrange and sweep the basement for a better spot. Going through tools.

Working on kegerator. Then I'll have to rearrange and sweep the basement for a better spot. Going through tools.

SWMBO and I spent all of Friday evening and yesterday until mid-afternoon rearranging the garage and tools. A job that is still not done. But then the neighbor loaned me his (rented) rototiller and we had to get to work with that.

I'll be making a jig to cut the tops off of two kegs I picked up last week. There is a DIY thread on making such a jig for a grinder and cut-off wheel, but I have the cheapie grinder with handle holes only on the sides. My plan is to put a 90 degree elbow on the 1.25 inch coupler in the hole, then a tee connector with the long side cut in half. A couple of clamps and it should work, we'll see.

Talk about a day.

That was after we had already spent 4 hours working on reorganising the garage and tools, SWMBO had mowed our huge lawn with a push mower, I carried a huge pile of assorted lumber to the back of the house and organised it, I spent a few hours with a hand-held sledge and a crowbar breaking apart old frames that had the longest nails I'd ever seen, and I spent some more time cutting some old, naily 2x4s in to pieces that would fit into my sauna's wood burning stove.

I love my Bosch 18-volt reciprocating saw. One of the best tools ever invented. I actually had a dream that I was taking down a 50 meter tall pine tree with it!

Building my new eherms control panel. Sold all my propane gear when I sold my house, now we are about to get a new one. What better way to spend a bit of the extra equity I got left over :)

Can't wait for the new place so I can get my kettles made.

Building my new eherms control panel. Sold all my propane gear when I sold my house, now we are about to get a new one. What better way to spend a bit of the extra equity I got left over :)

Can't wait for the new place so I can get my kettles made.

I have noticed from photos here that a lot of you in the US seem to have very rusty old propane tanks. Is it so that you buy a tank and just get it refilled, keeping the same tank forever?

Here where I live, you buy the tank (and the gas) the first time and then when it's empty you take it and trade it in for a refilled tank (only paying the cost for the gas). The reason they do this is that the tanks have to have a valid inspection before they can be filled and it lasts for 5 years or something. The stores handle the cost of getting the tanks inspected and just pass on the cost with the gas when you do a trade-in. Composite tanks need to be inspected more frequently, so their trade-in cost is quite high compared to the normal steel tanks.

I've got 3 tanks - 2 x 11kg and 1 x 5kg (which is easy to throw in the car along with the burner if I want to go cook in a park or something). Trade-in refills for the 5kg tank is almost as expensive as for the 11kg tanks, just that it's a matter of convenience to have one.

We have "Rhino" gas trading stations at the gas stations here. It cost more to buy a filled tank the first time, but cheaper after that to trade for a full one. @tennbrewer, A pneumatic die grinder with a cut off wheel would do the job. Just make a sort of compass to pin on center of the top of the keg. Secure the die grinder to the other end & cut away.:mug:

I wish I were brewing this weekend but instead I'm going to take the LSAT on Monday, which is the test to get into law school. I've been a pilot in the military for almost 20 years and retirement is approaching so I need to find another career. I'm not really sure I want to be a lawyer but I figured what the heck, I'll take the test and see how I do. Wish me luck!

I have noticed from photos here that a lot of you in the US seem to have very rusty old propane tanks. Is it so that you buy a tank and just get it refilled, keeping the same tank forever?

Here where I live, you buy the tank (and the gas) the first time and then when it's empty you take it and trade it in for a refilled tank (only paying the cost for the gas). The reason they do this is that the tanks have to have a valid inspection before they can be filled and it lasts for 5 years or something. The stores handle the cost of getting the tanks inspected and just pass on the cost with the gas when you do a trade-in. Composite tanks need to be inspected more frequently, so their trade-in cost is quite high compared to the normal steel tanks.

I've got 3 tanks - 2 x 11kg and 1 x 5kg (which is easy to throw in the car along with the burner if I want to go cook in a park or something). Trade-in refills for the 5kg tank is almost as expensive as for the 11kg tanks, just that it's a matter of convenience to have one.

Here in NE USA, the trade in tanks are more expensive to exchange (and they only come three-quarter filled with 15lb of propane) than to fill to capacity (20lb), and filling stations are common, even in the Boston urban area. So I have an exchange program tank that I refill at the U-haul rental place, and exchange when I either can't get there or the test date is close.

I wish I were brewing this weekend but instead I'm going to take the LSAT on Monday, which is the test to get into law school. I've been a pilot in the military for almost 20 years and retirement is approaching so I need to find another career. I'm not really sure I want to be a lawyer but I figured what the heck, I'll take the test and see how I do. Wish me luck!

The LSAT is tough but if you are good at taking tests and have done even a moderate amount of studying you can score high enough to get into a third tier but still respectable school. I took the test on a (substantial) bet back in my mid-20's. I scored a 153. My studying consisted of running through one of the test prep books once.

FYI, a law degree is a useful thing to have in many industries even if you do not want to be a lawyer. That said, having bartended at a second tier law school hangout bar (hence the bet from some of more snobbish students), I would never want to go through that program.

We helped my older son & his fiance move yesterday, bbq'd when we came back. Started up again on cleaning out & re-arranging the man cave/brewery today. Bagged up a large amount of beer bottle caps to trade. At some point during the week, I'll have to fire up the shredder. But I did get a case of beer on ice in the cooler. Not enough fridge space atm. I'm hoping to clear out the brewery corner & open the curtains for enough light to shoot another Brewvision video with my & barley_bob's kottbusser.

Tool the family fishing yesterday and working today. Double time is just too hard to say no to. Going to need to start my lagers for october and the winter season next weekend.

Preparing house etc for sale viewing, making marmalade, preparing some kiwifruit for freezing for two days to start a kiwifruit and mint wine and racking assorted meads. Later in the week trying my hand at making Belgian candi for the next brew thinking gf grapefruit ale :)

Finished rototilling, cleaning, leveling, and plowing planting rows into the new garden. 12 rows each 4 meters long, so 48 linear meters (150 feet) of planting space. Already planted some onions, radishes, and something else I can't remember now.

11427840_10153555242702697_8135887963045560367_o.jpg

Too many projects going on at the moment that need to be done during the summer before it gets cold again - electricity, painting, garden, storage shed, removal of old junk from kitchen remodeling, garage organising, insulation of doors, windows and attic spaces, building of brew spaces, etc.

There is no time to brew, so I just need to be happy with no-boil quick extract batches. I did a 24 liters batch (about 6.5-7 gallons) of 5.87% ABV hefeweizen using 2 cooper's wheat kits and another 1 kg of cooper's unhopped wheat LME for a total of 4.9kg (10.8 lbs) LME. Having a glass now, wow it does taste good.

UHAUL out here fills Propane 7 days a week from like 8am to 8pm so its easy to do. And refilling a 5# tank is i think $18 or so...swapping tanks is like $30. Getting your tank recertified every 5 years is easy, i went and paid someone at FerrellGas like $15 and she pressure tested it and put a new sticker on it.

UHAUL out here fills Propane 7 days a week from like 8am to 8pm so its easy to do. And refilling a 5# tank is i think $18 or so...swapping tanks is like $30. Getting your tank recertified every 5 years is easy, i went and paid someone at FerrellGas like $15 and she pressure tested it and put a new sticker on it.

Or you swap your old tank. Walmart swaps them for $15...free propane.

OK, thanks for the explanation as well the others who gave them.

Normal sized grilling tanks here are 11kg (24 lbs) and trading an empty one for a full one costs 22 EUR (24.4 USD)

Or you swap your old tank. Walmart swaps them for $15...free propane.

You do realize though that no swapping facility actually sells you a full tank? Your paying $15 for a 75% full tank. Check the fine print where you swap it, i am 100% certain they are selling you 15# of gas in the tank, no where in the US do they do full swaps...im not sure if its a legal reason, or more likely a safety one but its true. Im guessing having fully charged tanks potentially sitting in the sun for weeks baking presents some sort of hazard.

Only way to get a full 20# of gas is to take it to a refill.

Most people dont realize this, but its costing you a fortune in the long run. Dont believe me? When you go swap your tank next time look at the rim it will say TW 16lb or something which is the tare weight, or the weight of the cylinder itself without gas. If you had a full 20# of Propane it should weigh 36lbs...swapped ones will weigh 5# less.

Its also likely why some people complain they dont get very many brews out of their propane tanks, its not always that their gas is just set too high when boiling...their getting short changed before they even start brewing ;)

OK, thanks for the explanation as well the others who gave them.

Normal sized grilling tanks here are 11kg (24 lbs) and trading an empty one for a full one costs 22 EUR (24.4 USD)

I meant to say 20# for the tank, it holds ~5 gallons of actual propane :) But as i said above, the reason you should always refill is because swaps dont give you a full tank. Maybe its different in Canada, but i doubt it. Its one of those big scams that prey on people not reading the fine print.

You do realize though that no swapping facility actually sells you a full tank? Your paying $15 for a 75% full tank. Check the fine print where you swap it, i am 100% certain they are selling you 15# of gas in the tank, no where in the US do they do full swaps...im not sure if its a legal reason, or more likely a safety one but its true. Im guessing having fully charged tanks potentially sitting in the sun for weeks baking presents some sort of hazard.

Only way to get a full 20# of gas is to take it to a refill.

Most people dont realize this, but its costing you a fortune in the long run. Dont believe me? When you go swap your tank next time look at the rim it will say TW 16lb or something which is the tare weight, or the weight of the cylinder itself without gas. If you had a full 20# of Propane it should weigh 36lbs...swapped ones will weigh 5# less.

I meant for expired tanks. No need to get them checked, just go swap.

I meant to say 20# for the tank, it holds ~5 gallons of actual propane :) But as i said above, the reason you should always refill is because swaps dont give you a full tank. Maybe its different in Canada, but i doubt it. Its one of those big scams that prey on people not reading the fine print.

Who said anything about Canada?

Anyway, I weigh my tanks with my handheld digital luggage scale (really handy device). That's how I know how much longer I can cook on a given tank before needing to go trade it in. At least here, 11kg tanks do weigh 11kg + the tare weight. And they leave them sitting outside in the elements in metal cabinets.

Rhino keeps them in white metal cages around here. Still trying to get the brewery cleaned up & re-arranged so I can get the stuff to brew up the #1 Burton ale soon. At least I got a new cart that matches my chrome steel wire shelf to roll everything into the kitchen & back. No more depending on the boys to carry kettles & such for me.

Spent the weekend tilling, scraping and prepping about 600Sq Ft of area in front of the brewshed, around the end of the driveway and over by the side of my house for the the arrival of 9 tons of crusher finings and 6 pallets of patio flagstone that I am in charge of putting in.
Hooray?
:tank:

It'll be worth it! I wanna do a patio myself. Now if I could just find those little tables with the Martini Porsche umbrellas?

We set up a 75 foot slip and slide and drank Butt Lite out of a keg. Good times. I am sore in muscles I did not know I had though.

Also, I discovered something this weekend. I was asked to pick up the keg (on orders of what type) and when I was delivering it i saw a crisp brand new looking barcode sticker under the rim that read 11/14 Michelob Ultra. I got scared for a bit because I was not willing to drink something waterier than BL. I looked 4 inches to the left at a stop light and saw another sticker. This one said 5/15 and Bud Light. Were you all aware that Bud Light is just Michelob Ultra that has had a chance to age and darken a little? Maybe @Billy-Klubb is onto something with his cellared Bud Light.

Back