What are these plants growing instead of hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGEduardo

Reaction score
I have some strange looking plants emerging near the rhizomes I put in about a month ago. I started to pull one out and it seemed to be connected to a rhizome so I put it back in. Now another one popped up near a second set of sprouted cascades.

These aren't hops right?!

1400029336177.jpg

1400029372647.jpg

1400029421995.jpg

Those look like a type of bulb. They don't look like any hops I know of. Perhaps they are under some rhizome roots and that is why they seem attached. I'd carefully try to dig them out and relant somwhere else.

I have no hop shoots coming out of the one spot so I'll try to dig one out. This was all new potting soil so I don't think foreign bulbs could have made their way in...

Sorry for crappy phone upload. Top picture shows weird plant between hop shoots. Bottom two pics are duplicate but show one area where no hop shoots are visible and I planted rhizomes.

Here's a cropped pic of bottom pic:

Sent from my XT1060 using Home Brew mobile app

The10mmKid is spot on. Nice looking hops and some sort of weird rogue weed in between. Almost looks like a lambs ear, but can't tell. Leave it or pull it, won't out compete a hop bine that grows up 16-20ft.
P

Where did you purchase it from? That was not a hop rhizome you planted.

Two things.

First, grow it out and see what comes of it.

Second, send these pictures back to whoever and get your money back, or have them replace the rhizomes.

I think you might have an orchid rhizome.

The picture in #6 reminded me of the wild Lady's-Slipper that pops up in my wooded mulch area every year. They are very rare and hard to cultivate, so I just leave them alone.

Put it in a pot and see what happens.

Back