What are the techniques for adding hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMS

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My history is two extract brews and both did not have hops. I want to experiment now using some hops but I am not sure how. If I use pellets do I just drop an ounce into the wort? And then I see they sell a Stainless Hop Steeper do I need this? Then there are Leaf hops, if I use leaf then do I have to strain the wort as its pored into the fermenter?

So yes you would just drop the hops in ( leaf or pellet). I am allow and sprinkle because there is an opportunity for boil over if you're not careful.

You don't need a stainless hop catcher. I'd you wanted you could use a mesh bag that they sell at any homebrew shop. I personally would use pellets and try to limit the trub you pour into the fermenter.

Most extract kits will come with pellet hops that you just drop into the wort at specific time intervals. So you really did kits that did not have a single ounce of hops? Were they very sweet? I am just asking out of curiosity because I have never seen a kit that did not use some hops.

Most likely pre-hopped LME.

Drop your hops in at the recommended times SLOWLY to avoid a boil over. When transferring to a fermenter, it depends on your fermenter. For a bucket, when I use a lot of hops, I put two five gallon paint strainer bags in the bucket with a strainer on top. this way you catch most of the stuff getting into your bucket.

For a carboy, use an auto siphon with a couple of paint strainer bags wrapped around it. That should keep most of it out of your carboy.

@biohaz7331: I may have said kit in error it was really my own kit using LME and some DME; 1 can had hops added and the other did not and yes that one was lacking the bitterness. Actually I am buying that John Q. Adams Marblehead Lager kit tonight!

But I am also going to do another American Ale kit BUT I am going to experiment with different hop varieties and divide the kit to 5-1 gallon glass wine jugs I got hanging around just to get familiar with the different flavors.

Thanks for all the feed back!

So yes you would just drop the hops in ( leaf or pellet). I am allow and sprinkle because there is an opportunity for boil over if you're not careful.

You don't need a stainless hop catcher. I'd you wanted you could use a mesh bag that they sell at any homebrew shop. I personally would use pellets and try to limit the trub you pour into the fermenter.

I use muslin bags never had a problem..cheap as dirt too

Nylon bags for me - last forever (4 years so far). One for grains, one for hops and Irish moss.

Stainless infuser for dry hopping.

This seems like a good idea to me. Are all the muslin bags made from cotton?

Yup just plain ol cotton..I rinse them first just to give them a little cleaning..also like eds2k mentioned nylon bags are good too if not better..but i prefer muslins just a preference

I have muslin hop & grain sacks for this purpose. Hop sacks for pellets & grain sacks for whole leaf hops,since they have a greater volume per the same weight. With my cleaning method,mine look like new 2 years later.

...With my cleaning method,mine look like new 2 years later.

Well I just got done making my first full kit with specialty grains and hops! Its the John Q. Adams Marblehead Lager kit. I used two muslin bags for the grains and one for the hops as suggested. I also used the WYEAST 2112 CALIFORNIA LAGER YEAST option and it seemed to work out good I took the pack and slapped it a few times and by the time I was done with the wort the pack of yeast was inflated and good to go.

With this being a Lager kit when should I transfer it to a cooler spot like my cellar? Not sure if it needs to be kinda warm first?

@unionrdr: I turned the muslin bags inside out and wrapped them over a clean dish and placed them in my dish washer, you think this will be OK??

Rob

Yeah,that trick for thr hop sacks should work ok. Seems to me you'd put it in a cooler spot after FG is reached.

Back