What are some cool cheap DIY plastic Fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
Lookin for about 6.5 gallons. The Home Depot and Lowes buckets are only 5 gallons. And I'm not really keen on spending 25 bucks on a plastic bucket or better bottle.

Any good ideas would be grately appreciated. I love a deal...

Meatwad

This might be the best deal you can find that is both, size appropriate and food-grade. 16 bucks is a damn good deal.
bucket
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear rumor that if you sniff around ice fishing equipment at sporting goods stores, you can find the 6.5g ones cheap. They sell them because their extra height is more comfortable to sit on.

You will only find the 5 gallon buckets locally - several on-line homebrew shops offer great deals on starter kits with buckets.

I get 4.4 gallon buckets from earthfare for free. They come with lids and are food safe. Though they once contained mayo so they needed a good scrubbing. Just drill a hole for a stopper and boom im good to go. I dont get the best seal. My second batch has 0 bubbles butfermented down from 1.060 to 1.018 in a couple of days with high krausen. You get what you pay for. Plus its like an unlimited supply because they use so much mayo there. I also drilled a hole for a spigot in one bc bottling without it sucked.

Wow, that's a great price - didn't know Bell's had HB supplies.

6809-uline-6-5-vs-gammahomer.jpg

I got these screw top 6.5 gal pails for grain storage but you could easily add an airlock. They're FDA, with a gasketed lid, ratchet tightening mechanism, and much sexier than HomerBucket orange w/ GammaLid. They're between 12-14 bucks if you get them will call.

No disturbing the yeast trying to get the lid off, either.

uline screw top pails

I like the morebeer buckets $8 a pop and semi transparent so you can see your brew - the brewers best 8 gallon buckets are the best but they run $20 - us plastics has some cheap food grade buckets too - i like their square pails for belfian ales

If you want free then by all means go the other routes suggested. If you want new and cheap.... $8.29 for bucket and lid. There are occasionally coupon codes.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_MS C201_A_name_E_MS C201

No need to get the gamma lid, actually I suggest against it if you are fermenting in there. It would be very difficult to clean under the ring for the lid.

... No need to get the gamma lid, actually I suggest against it if you are fermenting in there. It would be very difficult to clean under the ring for the lid.

Yeah agreed- I wouldnt use a gamma lid on a fermenter. That pic is just of some bulk grain storage buckets. However an integral screw top beats a snap lid in my book for ease.

Just looked and mine are made by M&M Industries, out of chattanooga, TN. It appears yhey have distributors other than U-line.

OT but I also stumbled across this - 11.3 gallon square-ish container. Its probably too small for 10g batches but I think it would hold a full sack of grain.

And yes, it appears they sell the same bucket as a med waste bucket as well. I don't suggest digging those out of landfills for free fermenters.

Latest posts

Back