What animals will dig up planted rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
This morning I went out to water my hops, and three of my planted rhizomes had been dug up. Any idea what sort of critter does this? I know that we have deer, a couple of groundhogs, and the usual small rodents, but I've never seen them do this before?

Any ideas?

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck? We have a fenced in garden with underground fencing also and those dam things will dig down and under that to get in. They are eating machines.

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck? We have a fenced in garden with underground fencing also and those dam things will dig down and under that to get in. They are eating machines.
OK, that's probably it. then.

I've tried to evict these guys, and they just move from one outbuilding to the next. Pouring concrete into their holes moves 'em, but they don't go far.

They're too big for the owls and hawks to get, and we haven't seen any coyotes around lately.

I'm starting to think that the only effective solution is firearms-related....but my wife and daughters won't allow that short of a rabid animal, wolf, coyote, or other predator.

This morning I went out to water my hops, and three of my planted rhizomes had been dug up. Any idea what sort of critter does this? I know that we have deer, a couple of groundhogs, and the usual small rodents, but I've never seen them do this before?

Any ideas?

I would suggest you buy a trail/game camera to capture what the critter is and from there devise an action plan. If you can't discourage, capture or eliminate the problem, perhaps you can distract them by giving them an attraction for them to go that is in a different area.....

Man's best friend. My dog LOVED one of my hops! Was one I found enveloping an old cabin in the mountains, dug some up and brought it home...... Twice! The dog won.

Man's best friend. My dog LOVED one of my hops! Was one I found enveloping an old cabin in the mountains, dug some up and brought it home...... Twice! The dog won.
Be careful with that - hops are poisonous to dogs. Our dogs are never off-leash in that area of the property.

Be careful with that - hops are poisonous to dogs. Our dogs are never off-leash in that area of the property.
Had not heard that before, but the Hop rhizome never had a chance to get more than a few inches out of the ground. May have to rethink my process if I plant again

My hops were dug up by both chipmunks and squirrels. Don’t use chicken wire. Its holes are too large and the munks can still get in. They actually chewed off young rhizome growth. I used a tighter woven galvanized fencing. Install it right the first time and low enough to tend to your babies. It helps to use a wooden border at the base to allow secure closure with staples all around. They will find any little hole you leave behind!

Back