• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

What animals will dig up planted rhizomes?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
This morning I went out to water my hops, and three of my planted rhizomes had been dug up. Any idea what sort of critter does this? I know that we have deer, a couple of groundhogs, and the usual small rodents, but I've never seen them do this before?

Any ideas?

dpeters

Reaction score
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck? We have a fenced in garden with underground fencing also and those dam things will dig down and under that to get in. They are eating machines.

OP
F

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck? We have a fenced in garden with underground fencing also and those dam things will dig down and under that to get in. They are eating machines.
OK, that's probably it. then.

I've tried to evict these guys, and they just move from one outbuilding to the next. Pouring concrete into their holes moves 'em, but they don't go far.

They're too big for the owls and hawks to get, and we haven't seen any coyotes around lately.

I'm starting to think that the only effective solution is firearms-related....but my wife and daughters won't allow that short of a rabid animal, wolf, coyote, or other predator.

clientsoup

Reaction score
Just get licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. A man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit -- ever

CodeSection

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I went out to water my hops, and three of my planted rhizomes had been dug up. Any idea what sort of critter does this? I know that we have deer, a couple of groundhogs, and the usual small rodents, but I've never seen them do this before?

Any ideas?
I would suggest you buy a trail/game camera to capture what the critter is and from there devise an action plan. If you can't discourage, capture or eliminate the problem, perhaps you can distract them by giving them an attraction for them to go that is in a different area.....

rlmiller

Reaction score
Man's best friend. My dog LOVED one of my hops! Was one I found enveloping an old cabin in the mountains, dug some up and brought it home...... Twice! The dog won.

OP
F

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
Raccoons will dig them up, if you use a fishy smelling fertilizer.
Good thought - I don't see many trash pandas around the house, but they are in the area and could be out where thees are planted.

OP
F

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
Man's best friend. My dog LOVED one of my hops! Was one I found enveloping an old cabin in the mountains, dug some up and brought it home...... Twice! The dog won.
Be careful with that - hops are poisonous to dogs. Our dogs are never off-leash in that area of the property.

rlmiller

Reaction score
Be careful with that - hops are poisonous to dogs. Our dogs are never off-leash in that area of the property.
Had not heard that before, but the Hop rhizome never had a chance to get more than a few inches out of the ground. May have to rethink my process if I plant again

OP
F

FullThrottle64

Reaction score
Had not heard that before, but the Hop rhizome never had a chance to get more than a few inches out of the ground. May have to rethink my process if I plant again
Yes, unfortunately it's true:

I have a tie-off spot for my Husky/Shepherds right next to the hops hills, but out of reach.

Beerisgud

Reaction score
My hops were dug up by both chipmunks and squirrels. Don’t use chicken wire. Its holes are too large and the munks can still get in. They actually chewed off young rhizome growth. I used a tighter woven galvanized fencing. Install it right the first time and low enough to tend to your babies. It helps to use a wooden border at the base to allow secure closure with staples all around. They will find any little hole you leave behind!