What am I doing?! Am I crazy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing an Imperial IPA (about 8.5%).

The issue I'm having is in the yeast that I'm trying to use.

Two months ago, I used two starters of Wyeast 1056 American Ale on my first batch & when I decanted after cold crashing, I saved some slurry from each decant thinking I might be able to step it up in the future. There was MAYBE 50ml of slurry...

I stepped it up in a starter yesterday & am cold crashing it now.

I was planning on buying another activator pack of Wyeast 1056 American Ale to bolster the 1056 yeast starter that I made from my old yeast.

The problem is...my LHBS was out of Wyeast 1056...AND out of White Labs WLP001...which I would have used as a backup.
The gentleman there, advised me to use White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast WLP008 in place of the 1056 or WLP001.

Now here's what I'm about to do...(remember I'm new, so I don't know if this is stupid or something that is done often by homebrewers)...

I bought ONE tube of White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast WLP008 & will use this tube in conjunction with the Wyeast 1056 American Ale starter that I made from my leftover slurry.

The gentleman at my LHBS said people do it, but I wanted to see what this community thinks.

Thoughts?

Back