what? 15 gallons from one brewday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA_from_GA

Reaction score
I'm gettin ready to do my first AG brew in a few weeks. I've been putting it off due to the time difference from Extract... but wait!! There's a way for me to get twice... or even 3 times the beer from a single brew day?

I have a cooler MLT with a 12 gallon volume (not actually sure how much grain i can effectively mash in that). I've been reading up on AG process batch vs. fly vs. varitaiton ad nauseum sparge options, and i read
index10.html
Then went to basic brewing radio and began listening to some podcasts on partigyle brewing.

tell me if i'm understanding this correctly:

I can do a 10 gallon no-sparge batch(or a 5 gal higher gravity brew ie: IIPA, Tripel, Quad, Barley wine, etc), drain that mash into my keggle, boil as per usual. THEN, while that's boiling i can toss another 7 gallons-ish on to the gain bed, let is re-mash(?), then drain it off and have another beer off that same grain bed?

This is a lot for me to wrap my head around... all that beer from one brew day?

Will i need to do a sparge on the "second mash"?

Do i even understand the way this works correctly?

any help is appreciated.

It's called a partigyle. I guess you were listening to basicbrewing radio weren't you. Sadly I didn't think they did a good job of breaking it down. THey were sort of more random and experiemental in their approach.

My thread might be of some help to you. It's sort of a real time "idiot's guide" to constructing a partigyle recipe...You can see how I go from having no clue of how to figure out a recipe to figuring out how to "trick" beersmith into doing it for me. You can see all the help I got on the thread, and there's some links to other info that help you do it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I hope it helps. Like I said, I went from having no clue to actually doing one.:mug:

This is what I'm getting ready to try. I plan on doing a 10 AG barley wine. AG takes about 6-8 hours start to finish. i still have my 3 gal brew pot from brewing malt extract. So while my Barley wine is mashing, sparging etc, I'll make two 5 gal ME brews, a hefe weizen and something else, ain't decided yet. Be some work, but will get 20 gallons out of a brew day!.

Thanks Revvy, that's some great reading... gonna do some more research, but i think i may try this for my first AG batch. Too presumptuous? Either way, i figure i can get a 10 gal IIPA (splitting with a friend), then get a moderate/high grave 5 gal batch as well?

Just gotta figure out a recipe.

now i'm really sad i sold my extra turkey fryer and 30 qt kettle last week.

ooh well.

Good luck with that. I am not sure you will have enough room for 15 gallons as it is a lot of grain. I can get 24 pounds in my 52 quart cooler mashing at 1.5 quarts per lb.

Blender - i've got the same concern. My MLT is 48 quart, the grain bill for the IIPA i'm thinking of trying is just under 23 lbs. I'm trying to locate the "how big is your MLT" chart on here, but can't find it.

edit: just used Green Bay Rackers Mash caluclator. I can do 1.75 qt/lb and thats 11.9 gal necessary volume so i'd just squeeze by. I don't know what the absorption is going to be, but it may be cutting it really close to end up w/ 8 gallons.

Why are you mashing so thin? If you need the space, you can certainly get by with a 1.25 qt/lb thickness. I tend to go thinner for my normal beers.. but, if I am crunched for space I can mash thicker.

Also, grain absorption is approximately 0.15 gallons per lb.

Good luck with that. I am not sure you will have enough room for 15 gallons as it is a lot of grain. I can get 24 pounds in my 52 quart cooler mashing at 1.5 quarts per lb.

He is talking about doing a 10 gallon, then a 5 gallon after that mash is done.

Try looking at this thread. It should help with your calculations. Mash Tun Size

Blender - i've got the same concern. My MLT is 48 quart, the grain bill for the IIPA i'm thinking of trying is just under 23 lbs. I'm trying to locate the "how big is your MLT" chart on here, but can't find it.

edit: just used Green Bay Rackers Mash caluclator. I can do 1.75 qt/lb and thats 11.9 gal necessary volume so i'd just squeeze by. I don't know what the absorption is going to be, but it may be cutting it really close to end up w/ 8 gallons.

I'm gettin ready to do my first AG brew in a few weeks. I've been putting it off due to the time difference from Extract... but wait!! There's a way for me to get twice... or even 3 times the beer from a single brew day?

I'm still new AG brewing, and the Parti-gyle intrigues me too. Although, IMHO I don't know if you want to do an parti-gyle with your first batch.

I've been looking at spreadsheets and other resources, but I think the next few AG batches I do, I'm going to take good gravity and volume readings from each of my 3 runnings, and then start looking at parti-gyle recipes.

Of course, I would love to hear how you fare if you do a parti-gyle, there aren't nearly enough posts about it.

this may be an incredibly basic/dumb question, but how do i figure the grav of each boil when it starts? my hydrometer is calibrated to 65*. do i just pull a sample off and let it cool?

Yes, that is what you do. They do have temp adjust calculators; but they are, from what I have heard, wildly inaccurate above 100F. So I would cool down to at least 80F then just use the adjustment calculators.

Latest posts

Back