What 1 gallon cube is recommended for no-chill BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yirg

Reaction score
I'm considering getting into BIAB and the no-chill method looks tempting. I'm into brewing small batches (1 gallon), so I'm looking for a relatively small cube to let the wort chill. This cube from Cole Parmer looks good and is reasonably priced. Does anyone have experience with it? Anything else that's better?

BTW, is it preferable to get a cube with a tap?

Thanks!

If you plan to pitch yeast immediately when cool, I would consider no chill in your kettle with the lid on. One gallon will chill pretty quickly, and if you pitch yeast promptly, you should be fine IME.

The beauty of a NC container is you can keep the wort for days to months prior to adding yeast.

Or set the kettle in a tub with a few frozen bottles of ice for 3...4 hours.

If you plan to pitch yeast immediately when cool, I would consider no chill in your kettle with the lid on. One gallon will chill pretty quickly, and if you pitch yeast promptly, you should be fine IME.

I'm planning to pitch the yeast the next day. Isn't leaving the wort in the pot risky?

The beauty of a NC container is you can keep the wort for days to months prior to adding yeast.

No such plan.

Or set the kettle in a tub with a few frozen bottles of ice for 3...4 hours.

One of the reasons I'm interested in NC is that I want to simplify the process and reduce steps that aren't essential. I'm fine with the concept of putting ice directly into the wort to cool and achieve the right volume at the same time (e.g when doing partial-mash brews), but with BIAB I understand that this is not recommended, because the entire volume needs to be cooked to get the best efficiency.

They both look good, but the exact temperature range is not specified.

I'm planning to pitch the yeast the next day. Isn't leaving the wort in the pot risky?

No such plan.

One of the reasons I'm interested in NC is that I want to simplify the process and reduce steps that aren't essential. I'm fine with the concept of putting ice directly into the wort to cool and achieve the right volume at the same time (e.g when doing partial-mash brews), but with BIAB I understand that this is not recommended, because the entire volume needs to be cooked to get the best efficiency.

They both look good, but the exact temperature range is not specified.

I think this is they, and it says 248F:

http://www.dynalabcorp.com/news_Baritainer.asp

Yirg said:

I don't think 8-10 hours in a covered pot is anything to really worry about IME.

Putting 1 gal. Into a no chill container for 8 hours seems a bit labor intensive.

If I can avoid the cube and chill the wort in the pot without negative impact it would be great. I'll definitely try that. Thanks again!

Back