Wha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
My Cascade plants are now about 6ft tall but the willamette hit about 2 feet and stopped growing. What's up with that?

first year huh?

mine did the same thing last year... cascades got big, magnum and the other one that I can't think of right now stayed short.

kind of like home brew... relax. be patient. Wait until next year.

Late plantings of Cascade, Willamette, and EKG.

Cascades is 6 ft and has a few burrs. Willamette is two ft and doesn't seem interested in growing anymore. Same with EKG.

kind of like home brew... relax. be patient. Wait until next year.

x2

My first year as well, but a little story:

Already harvest cascade and magnum, with nugget ready any day.

My sterling has been stuck at about 5 feet for a month now. Well over the last week it has shot up to 9 feet.

Likewise my crystal has been pretty "dormant" but just this week started sprouting burrs.

Take Revvy's advice with beer (don't ever dump it, time heals all wounds) and apply it to your hops-- especially the first year!

:mug:

Our first year Cascade and Mt. Hood were the tallest, we didn't plant Willamette but the Fuggles, Chinook and Goldings were short. Conversely for some reason this year(2nd year), the Chinook and Fuggles are the only ones that went wild, the goldings are barely alive. The Cascade and Mt Hood are struggling but they were devestated early with the worst crop of grasshoppers I've seen here. Don't know why the Chinook outgrew the grasshoppers but we are on our third harvest of them. I'm thinking hops are more like yeasties, kindof have their own agenda, all we can do is give them what they need and hope?

Ground planted however I read somewhere that I should not fertilize til september. Perhaps a bit of fertilizer would help the little fellas out!

You should be fertilizing all season up until about the time cones are producing (mid july?). Not sure why you should stop then but that's what I was told. By September most, if not all, of the growing is done and the fertilizer is basically useless. The plant needs the nutrients during it's growth spurt.

Back