Weyermann Barke Pilsner's Diastatic Power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Does anyone know the nominal diastatic power of this malt, either as WK or Lintner?

From the Weyermann website:

In the malt and brew houses, it excels because of its large kernel diameter, good kernel homogeneity, good germination potential, superior diastatic power, excellent extract yield, with only moderate levels of soluble nitrogen, due to low beta-glucan values. A wort made from Barke® also maintains its color well during the kettle boil. This makes it a particularly sought-after base malt for pale ales and blond lagers, especially for Pilsners.

A thank you to all above! I'm intrigued by Wyermann's claim of excellent mouthfeel for this malt, and I had initially thought that might mean that it is somewhat undermodified. But I see now that its Kolbach Index is above 35. Apparently my mistake was in confusing (or mistakenly inferring) a correlation between the SNR and Diastatic Power, as my intuitive expectation was for it to be lower in DP, perhaps along the lines of a Vienna Malt in this regard.

Doesn't look like they list it on their COAs either. Now that I say that I vaguely recall trying to find it in the past but I don't remember where I found it. I don't remember how Hartong Index translates to either of those but it's also an enzymatic measurement isn't it?

Attachments

• V351_21113025_30_EN_01 (1).pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 13
Back