Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I have been making soap for a few years now. We recently launched an online store planning to sell shaving soaps and oils as well as beard conditioner. We have been considering hop oils for use in some hand soaps. Not sure if it would work well in a shaving soap but we may look into too. We may need a few product testers at some point. .....

Very cool! Do you sell online or via a website? As a moderator, I give you special dispensation to post the link once here, without a vendor membership, since I doubt any of our vendors are selling shaving soap with their hops . . .

;)

Thanks Pappers! Yes we do sell on line at

http://www.perfectlynaturalsoap.com/product-category/shaving/

We do some farmers markets in the Hampton Roads VA area in case any locals want to actually touch the stuff.
There are a lot of soapers out there and my wife comes from a business background and I was in the brewing industry for 18 yrs. The soaping business has been a wild couple of years and it seems to be showing no signs of slowing down.
Our cream soap is the most user friendly, eagerly offering rich lather at a wide range of moisture levels. Bar soaps are a little more technical if your new to the art, but are in a wider variety of sent and even two versions that use beer for added moisturizing (and it's just cool).although the beer shave soap hasn't hit the website as of this post.
Thanks again for the shameless plug 😉

My wife and I have been making soap for a few years now. We recently launched an online store planning to sell shaving soaps and oils as well as beard conditioner. We have been considering hop oils for use in some hand soaps. Not sure if it would work well in a shaving soap but we may look into too. We may need a few product testers at some point. .....

A one-time exemption for you, too, if you'd like to share your link!

A one-time exemption for you, too, if you'd like to share your link!

Thanks Pappers!

We don't have any product on the website yet, we are only about 2 weeks old as of today. Just placed an order for some packaging samples and a lot of base ingredients. We will have a full line of natural shaving soaps, creams and oils as well as some bath products and lotions. We are putting together a program to send our shaving soaps over seas to deployed troops so that when they get a chance to actually take some time to get a good shave we can hopefully make it a slightly more enjoyable experience. We have some things we'd like to send for our service women as well.
http://www.whiskerssoapshop.com

Though hop shaving soap sounds great! Doesn't it have natural antibacterial properties or something like that?

Tricky to do. Your correct that hop oils are naturally antibacterial but true hop oils are very expensive and a potential allergen for your skin. Rancidity is also a concern unless you use synthetic fragrance or petrochemicals/preservatives. Beer, on the other hand, makes awesome soap. The residual malt sugars make for good lather and the hop oils are present at low enough concentrations to not effect your skin while still lending some of their antibacterial properties.

Thanks Pappers!

We don't have any product on the website yet, we are only about 2 weeks old as of today. Just placed an order for some packaging samples and a lot of base ingredients. We will have a full line of natural shaving soaps, creams and oils as well as some bath products and lotions. We are putting together a program to send our shaving soaps over seas to deployed troops so that when they get a chance to actually take some time to get a good shave we can hopefully make it a slightly more enjoyable experience. We have some things we'd like to send for our service women as well.
http://www.whiskerssoapshop.com

Pappers, I hope this is ok, if not please delete this post.

I just wanted to update that we are now officially open for business, stop and take a look around.

www.whiskerssoapshop.com

My new toy... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412451849.105942.jpg

This thread has died off a for a while. Now i just imagine everyone running around with giants beards since clearly nobody went back to a disposable, right?

I only let part of my goatee go for no-shave-November. Still using the straight blade almost exclusively. Thinking of trying some new soaps. I love the basic Proraso green, but am looking to try something new. Something that lathers well and smells good. Any good suggestions?

I see this thread is back on the radar, I have been missing this sort of talk.

Devin, I found that shave soaps ability to lather depends on the water you have, I lived in phoenix for years and my proraso lathered like a dream, but since moving to illinois my lather went in the crapper, to amend the issue I add a small pea size blop of coconut oil to my scuttle and the lather just blows up and is silky smoothe to shave with.

Just saying this as one soap may lather great for one guy, but not another in a different location, I did just order some shave soaps off etsy though so I can post a few thoughts on it once they arrive, mostly the scent and how it lathers for me and my coconut oil blop.

Hmm, interesting. I guess I never thought of the water. Makes sense, though. The Proraso lathers great in my scuttle. Like you said - it is almost an explosion. I would be interested to hear how the soaps work out for you.

In trying to clear out a (bad purchase) tub of caswell massy 1752 sandalwood shave cream I have taken to blending it with my proraso and coconut oil.

the 1752 smells great, but it offers no cushion and piss poor lather....
But when blended with the others I get some nice sandalwood smell, and the other two provide the cushion and stay put lather

I would recommend checking with either of the fine soap shops that were allowed to post a page or so back...............but seriously, water can have a huge effect on lather. A pre-shave or similar oil can really help. As far as whetstones, i'm too afraid to do any more harm to my already sad looking straight.

My straights are all still shave ready but I would like to touch them up as they are starting to pull a bit despite stropping and hitting em on the balsa paddle with the micron paste.

I am waiting on three pucks off etsy, I'm going to have to go back a few and check out the mentioned soapmongers

Do they list the ingredients on the 1752?
It happens every so often where shave soaps are shave soaps by name only. A good formula will have a combination of potassium hydroxide and often sodium hydroxide (seen a few without it though) steric acid or oils high in steric acid are also important in thick supportive lather.

Found on the web;
"Key Ingredients: Sodium Palmitate, Water, Sodium Cocoate, Palm Kernal Oil, Benzaldehyde Sandalwood Fragrance, Sodium Cocyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Polyglycerylmethacrylate, Guar Hydroypropyltrimonium Chloride, Titanium Dioxide, Allantoin, Coconut Acid. "

It appears to be a soap made with sodium hydroxide only and uses palm oil, coconut oil, and palm kernel oil (in that order). Palm kernel has the highest steric acid content of these three but there is no hope of it bring a good lather with no potassium hydroxide and not much steric. This is an ordinary soap that they called a "shave soap" and the reviews I was able to find on the web support that. Sorry you got a dud.

I have been using the same poor mans strop I got from whipped dog years ago, I want one with a handle to pull it tight, found a few at a good price so I'm hoping Santa brings me one!!

I've got a dual leather/canvas from Straight Razor Designs but it was my original with my first straight. It works very well but I nicked it up a bit as a novice. Really should get another.

The hardware on his strops are very nice

I've got a dual leather/canvas from Straight Razor Designs but it was my original with my first straight. It works very well but I nicked it up a bit as a novice. Really should get another.

The hardware on his strops are very nice

You can sand down nicks. I nicked my first one a bit as well, but was able to fix it fairly easily. I agree - straight razor designs makes some good strops.

My son got me that micro touch one safety razor that the bald pawn shop guy promotes. I'm not sure how to even start with it. Or if I should lol. Probably pick up better blades first. I'm not sure.

Hello all. I've been looking and looking so now I'm here. I've really been wanting to get into straight razor shaving for a while now but can't figure out a good place to start as far as pretty much all of it goes. What would be a good inexpensive( not cheap) set up be? Would I need to buy individual parts or is there a good kit somewhere that I'm not finding? Any and all help would be appreciated thanks.

Back