Westvleteren fast finish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed the Wesvleteren 12 on Monday the 6/8/2020. the fermentation started the same day and did just what I expected and jumped from 65 to 80 with a nice brown foam. by 6/13 /2020 the foam had gone down and the gravity ended up at 1.003 ( I didn't expect it to get so low so soon, instructions ay it should be 1.013 at that time) and stayed there. this seemed a little fast and by reading about the beer it may have seemed too fast. Still I put it into the secondary and brought the temp down to 60 F as per instructions. This Is where it sits today 6/15/200.
The taste out of the primary was just what I expected and am happy with that, along with the color. Does this seem right? Not sure if I need to do anything else for it since the gravity has fallen so far down.

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/westvleteren_12_clone_-_040.pdf

The Westmalle strain does relatively fast. I'm looking over my tilt data and it hit terminal FG in ~6 days for me, from 1.090 to 1.009. That being said, I did let it sit in primary for a 3 weeks and secondary for another 4 before adding yeast and bottling.

great thanks, always need that clean up time. I already put it into a secondary after 6 days, will leave it for a few more weeks. I normally let a high gravity (10% or more) beer sit in the primary for 2 - 3 weeks then secondary for a few months after that, I may be over doing it.. I like the idea of only 7 weeks and I think this one may do well with that before bottling. looks like the instructions call for about 9-11 days for primary and secondary then another 8 weeks at 45 F, I will probably do that in a keg under Co2.

great thanks, always need that clean up time. I already put it into a secondary after 6 days, will leave it for a few more weeks. I normally let a high gravity (10% or more) beer sit in the primary for 2 - 3 weeks then secondary for a few months after that, I may be over doing it.. I like the idea of only 7 weeks and I think this one may do well with that before bottling. looks like the instructions call for about 9-11 days for primary and secondary then another 8 weeks at 45 F, I will probably do that in a keg under Co2.

How does the beer taste right now? Any off flavors? It will obviously be green at this point but anything off to you?

I know you are following the directions from CSI but I can’t see letting it sit around when if it’s finished, you could just bottle it and condition it in the bottles. Better still, try one on a week, 2 weeks, etc. I’m almost universally opposed to letting a beer sit around for no good reason when I could get it carbed up and track it’s progress with my taste buds.

Also, what was the OG on this beer? 1.003 seems like a crazy amount of attenuation. Not saying anything is wrong but a low finishing gravity on a high gravity beer raises a red flag for me.

Just my $0.02...

The taste out of the primary was just what I expected and am happy with that, along with the color. Does this seem right?

How is the clarity? For me, the Westy strain has been a bit slow to flocculate. If your beer is still hazy, you might want to let it settle a little more before bottling.

How is the clarity? For me, the Westy strain has been a bit slow to flocculate. If your beer is still hazy, you might want to let it settle a little more before bottling.

Or just let it settle in the bottle. That’s just my opinion though. I’m used to bottling with extract remaining so the bottled beer dropping clear is always my indication things are moving along.

My concern would be that if this recipe achieved the OG quoted in the CSI writeup, and then proceeded to attenuate to 1.003, then that’s 96% or so apparent attenuation, which to me seems unlikely. So my brain goes to measurement error and any implications that might have.

the OG into the fermenter was 1.076 without the candi syrup which looked about right (candi syrup in the primary, maybe I took the gravity before the candi syrup.. But the FG at 1.003 doesn't' look right, I am hoping I didn't look at the hydrometer right, but that sounds like something I would do. I am not going to open it again until I bottle to check the gravity again.

Last edited:
kegged it filled with C02. tasted it with some brewer friends. I think this will be a really nice beer. Now to bottle it and let it sit for a long time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back