West Yorkshire Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
Anybody use this? I'm making a best bitter with it, here's the recipe:

og 1.042
fg 1.010
ibu 33

7 lbs Marris Otter
5 oz crystal 60L
4 oz wheat malt

.9 oz Challenger 60
.5 oz Challenger 15
1 oz Northdown 0

mash 154F 60

what do you think?

That recipe looks great :mug:.

(Though I'm not sure why those uppity ponces in West Yorkshire get their own yeast. They think they're so much better than the rest of Yorkshire. Stupid inbred coal-munching whippet-botherers.)

That recipe looks great :mug:.

(Though I'm not sure why those uppity ponces in West Yorkshire get their own yeast. They think they're so much better than the rest of Yorkshire. Stupid inbred coal-munching whippet-botherers.)

Hmm I dunno about all that LOL, I know have a killer Yorkshire Parkin recipe that is the balls so they are doing something right.

Where do you get that yeast? What manufacturer?

Browsing Store - WEST YORKSHIRE ALE YEAST

"Available OCT-DEC 2008. From a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire England. Full of chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Bright beers easily achieved within days without filtration.
For production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ale. Approx alc tolerance is 9% ABV. Flocculation is high, apparent attenuation is 67-71%. Ferment at 64-72 deg F."

...from a well-known and highly regarded brewery in Keighley, West Yorkshire England.
If that's Timothy Taylor's (they're based in Keighley), then people rave about them. Their "Landlord" beer is very well regarded. I didn't know their yeast was for sale - I'll check it out.

This yeast, when it was released last time got me a first place in the National Homebrewing, first round.for Ord. Bitter. Made it to the minibest of show in the second round, but didnt place. Oh well.

Also got me a first place in our clubs British Beer Fest for Ord. Bitter.

I still have some test tubes of this yeast frozen in the freezer. But I also just bought a new pack and plan on making slants.

Ender

If that's Timothy Taylor's (they're based in Keighley), then people rave about them. Their "Landlord" beer is very well regarded. I didn't know their yeast was for sale - I'll check it out.

That's cool! I've got a Timothy Taylor Best Bitter and Landlord recipe, I should make a clone. The Landlord is just Golden Promise, Styrians, and Fuggles according to the recipe.

That's the Knowle Spring brewery?

I just picked this up today. Doing a version of dragon's milk from radical brewing with it. I'm thinking it should turn out well with this yeast (Wyeast 1469), plus I wanted to get a chance to play with a new seasonal strain!

og 1.088
ibu 75

10# Maris Otter
6# Light DME
3 oz Goldings (US) (90)
2 oz Goldings (US) (30)
2 oz Goldings (US) (0)

That's cool! I've got a Timothy Taylor Best Bitter and Landlord recipe, I should make a clone. The Landlord is just Golden Promise, Styrians, and Fuggles according to the recipe.

That's the Knowle Spring brewery?
Yep, that's the one. As it's not that far from where I live, I should see if they do brewery tours...

Yep, that's the one. As it's not that far from where I live, I should see if they do brewery tours...

There is also Malton Brewery in West Yorkshire, check that one out too! They make Double Chance Bitter.

Back