West Coast IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moicel

Reaction score
Believe it or not I have stayed away from brewing IPAs as it is not my preferred style and because the times I brewed some they did not come out the way I wanted it for them to come. I always struggled with hop combinations. However, i've decided to venture again in brewing IPAs. below is a recipe I came out with. my desired outcome is to have a light malt back bone, however looking for it to be dry and have a fruity and refreshing flavor. Below is the recipe, let me know what you all think. my doubt is on the hop time additions.

70% pilsner malt
15% 2 Row
4% dextrine malt
2% crystal 40
9% dextrose

1oz magnum @ 30 min

.5oz CTZ @ 15 min
.5oz Simcoe @ 15 min

.5oz CTZ @ 5 min
.5oz Simcoe @ 5 min

1 oz Mosaic @ whirlpool for 10 min
.5 oz simcoe @ whirlpool for 10 min
.5 oz centennial @ whirlpool for 10 min

Imperial flagship yeast

1oz of centennial @ dry hop
1oz of Mosaic @ dry hop
.5 oz of Simcoe @ dry hop

EST OG 1.063

What you have there seems like it should make a nice beer. I would just make sure you calculate the IBUs of your hop additions. You can then adjust your boil amount to raise or lower the overall amount (though I am not sure calculations for whirlpool IBUs are that accurate).

Are you kegging or bottling? Avoiding cold side oxidation was a huge bump in the quality of my IPAs with keeping the crisp flavor, light color and bright hop flavors. Water chemistry, both adding Sulfate and lowering my pH, were also solid improvements.

Hey thanks for replying. I feel more comfortable with my recipe
yup I already had made my water adjustment and for sure adding some gypsum.
in regards cold side oxidation, I will ferment in a close vessel and move the beer though CO2.

I’m not sure you want the dextrin if you’re going for dryness. Also, you are boiling for 60 minutes, right, with Pilsner malt? I don’t see any reason not to put the magnum in at 60.

Do you like Simcoe hops? Not everyone does, by which I mean that some people really despise them.

If you’re feeling lazy you could put the 15-minute addition in at 5 as well.

I don’t see a batch size, so it’s hard for me to give an opinion on overall bitterness and hop intensity. But it looks about right for a hoppy 5 gallon batch. You could double check it with an online IBU calculator.

I like it as well. I’ve made an ipa w a similar malt bill. The only difference was I used a little more C-40. Maybe 6-8%.
I’m not a huge Mosaic fan but it looks like there’s enough other hops to round it off.

I would gladly drink this beer!

looks pretty good. I'd consider upping your dry hop amounts if you want that big West Coast punchy hop aroma. I just brewed a Double West Coast IPA with a similar grain bill to yours (a starting gravity of 1.071) that had 3 oz whirlpool and 6 oz dry hop that turned out fantastic.

Water chemistry, mash temp, simple sugar and yeast management will get you the dry beer you are looking for (mine finished at 1.007). I used 100% distilled water and added salts to get me to 152.9ppm Calcium, 344.3ppm Sulfate and 40.4ppm chloride. Mashed at 148F for 70 min.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back