Went over my OG help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
My OG was suppose to be 1.041 and when I took my reading before pitching my yeast it was 1.051. Now it's in the fermenter, should I be worried? Also what does this mean?

Presumably this was an extract beer with a top off of water? If so, it isn't unusual to have a strange OG reading since it is difficult to get the wort mixed. Even if it was something else, all it means in the end is that the beer would be slightly heavier, slightly sweeter and slightly higher in alcohol content. Notice the key word "slightly", enough to tell the difference, but not enough to make a messed up beer. You should be A-OK

Higher than expected OG? Ohes noes! If you want you can PM me and I'll give you my address. You can then ship it to me as I have the means of proper ruined beer disposal. :D

Yeah, if it was all-grain you probably need to work on your processes. If it was extract then you probably boiled too much, didn't top up enough, or miscalculated your OG.

Back