Went and did it, pitched my whole starter!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePearsonFam

Reaction score
So, we've talked about decanting the liquid off the starter or just pitching the whole darn thing. I've always try to decant if able. Well, I found myself in the predicament that most people do when they have to make the decision. I made a 2L starter with White Labs Trappist (WLP500) for my Belgian Tripel. I made it too late in the game and it wasn't ready for me to brew yesterday. I decided to pitch the entire contents (at Krausen) to see how it turns out. I'll keep everyone posted.

For the record, I made a 2L starter @ 1040 w/ extra light DME. I swirled it every time I walkd by. Mr. Malty calculations indicated I'd need 1.5L of starter for my batch but I made 2L since I was late (in hopes of giving the yeast the most chance for success).

The recipe was:
10# Pilsner
2# Vienna
.75# CaraVienne
2oz Hallertaur @ 60
.5oz Styrian Goldings @ 30
1oz Saaz @ 3

Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes, mash-out at 170 for 15 minutes, boiled for 90 minutes and collected 5gal of wort. OG as 1065. Intend to add ~1# of candi sugar after initial fermentation is done. Intend to force carb in a keg.

I did this on saturday. I made the starter a little late, and stuck it in the fridge for a few hours to get the yeast to drop. I didn't think that the starter had fermented out enough, because there was still airlock activity when I pulled it out of the fridge to pitch, and it looked like there was a lot of yeast floating. I ended up with only about 4.25 gallons after the boil, so I tossed almost the whole starter in to bring it up to about 4.6 gallons and bring my OG down a touch.

The three times I made starters I tasted them to see how bad they are. Turned out that they didnt taste funky or cardboardy or anything, just like bland beer. So I pitched the whole thing. No sense in wasting good brew.

BTW those batches were all darker kits (porter, IPA, and pale ale). If I was doing a ligher ale or lager I would think a little harder about pitching the whole thing, then I would probably just do it anyways.

Not worried, just interested to see if I'll taste anything since it's a pretty light colored, light bodied beer. The good thing is that is still fairly strong in abv and taste. The post boil sample was AWESOME!

The three times I made starters I tasted them to see how bad they are. Turned out that they didnt taste funky or cardboardy or anything, just like bland beer. So I pitched the whole thing. No sense in wasting good brew.

BTW those batches were all darker kits (porter, IPA, and pale ale). If I was doing a ligher ale or lager I would think a little harder about pitching the whole thing, then I would probably just do it anyways.

You don't use a stirplate, do you?

I always pitch my entire starter. Never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back