Welp, I'm out of business...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...at least for awhile. Check this thread for the backstory: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/rain-rain-go-away-stupid-weather-112016/

My house is standing in about three and a half feet of water right now. It rose to nearly five feet inside yesterday. The officials have been measuring and this is the 500 year flood... sux

Luckily, I have flood insurance on the house but nearly none of my neighbors did... I'll check back when I can but I don't have very good access to the Internet right now.

**EDIT**

Here is the photo from Saturday's paper... I look a little too happy in it, don't I?

lg.jpg

Should I be scared that the moment I finished reading this post, the flood sirens in my neighborhood start going off? (We are also overdue for a huge flood)

Good Luck Parker! Make sure you take all of the useful documents from your house. Take a minute to think about it! :eek:

I've had water issues in the past, but nothing like what you're going through. Here's to hoping that it starts receeding soon so you can get back in there and get things cleaned up. :mug:

Floods suck. Glad you have insurance, hope the brewing equipment survives.

Thanks guys... just added a photo to the original post.

Wow John I am really sorry to read about that. I'm glad you had enough time to get some of the stuff out, have insurance etc. but I feel bad for the long road you have ahead of you getting it all straight again, fixing the house if possible etc.

I'll be praying for you man.

A 500 year flood? Sounds more like: "We had no idea this could happen." The area near me has two flood plains, one about 30 feet above the other. 90% of the houses are built in the lower flood plain. Hate to think what would happen if the second level was ever reached.

Maybe re-build the brewery on a pontoon boat?

Bummer man, sorry to hear about the flood. I hope your insurance takes care of everything! At least the sun is shining! (or at least was in that picture :D)

I raised a house that I had built 5 feet due to it being below the seasonal high water table. 25,000 gallons a day went out the sump pump line, headed to the ditch. Not being in a Designated Flood Zone I could not get flood insurance. I had the house raised 5 feet by a house mover, with a masonry guy doing 7 courses of blocks and filling the corresponding space in the basement with pea-stone, then he poured new concrete for the floor.

It was $11,500 and then we sued the builder for the problem. His insurance and my Home Owners Warranty eventually coughed up $10,000.

I know a lot about soil surveys and hydrology now.

I'm sorry guys. That just sucks. I know personally about water damage - My Mom had to knock down and completely rebuild her house two years ago. It's no fun at all but very glad to hear you have insurance and were prepared for it.

Tomorrow will be the real kicker- going back in to see what exactly I left behind and what all is ruined. I'm expecting around 15-20k in content damages that aren't covered as I only had flood insurance on the dwelling.

I am at peace with it all at this point... in the end, I will pretty much have a brand new house and thank God I just bought the travel trailer- it already feels so much more like home than if I was just staying at a hotel or something.

Oh, and the deal about the 100 year / 500 year flood... I didn't understand this either until today. What the term "100 year flood" means is that there is a 1% chance this could happen every year. So, by saying "500 year flood", that means there is a .2% chance this could happen...

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it before... the walk-in cooler is no longer. The water level was above the door. We used a crowbar to open it up on Saturday to get the kegs out...

Oh, man.... I mean, it's one thing to lose the stuff. You've out a lot of money for the stuff that wasn't insured, but to lose the cooler that you spent so much time and effort on? That really, really sucks.

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it before... the walk-in cooler is no longer. The water level was above the door. We used a crowbar to open it up on Saturday to get the kegs out...

NO NO NO! Say it ain't so...... Glad your all safe. Sorry to hear about the house. Way to go on the insurance....That is forward thinking on your part. Good for you!
Cheers
JJ

That sucks John. Especially about the uninsured stuff.

At least when you rebuild you can add the walkin cooler and brew room to the blueprints. :)

Parker.. good luck man, let us know how you faired.

When I was a kid we lived along a creek, that in the summer barely flowed. In the spring it could raise 20 feet. We were about the only house that didn't flood. Pretty dam scary though.

Now where I live I only have to contend with pine beattle killed trees and forest fires. We were evacuated once 2 years ago. Never fun.

All the best..

That is terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear of all that you lost. I give you a tremendous amount of credit as it sounds as if you are taking this in great stride.

I guess I shouldn't expect any less from a fellow homebrewer.

Oh my gosh, that is really crappy , i have seen first hand the devestation a flood can do,its heart breaking to slowly see your stuff drownd.
my thought and prayers go out to you and your family.
I hope you can get back to normal just as soon as possable.

on a side note your brewery name has total street cred now and a cruel twist of irony to it.

Wow, I'm really sorry. That truly sucks. Do you need anything, like basics?

Wow, that sucks. I hope that counts as part of the house and is covered by your policy. I can't wait to see Walk-In Cooler 2.0!!!

Hang in there!

In the 4 years I've lived here, we've evacuated due to flood threats twice. Both times, the temporary dikes held.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully your Brewery Controller made it. I know you spent a lot of time on it.

Sorry man, that just sucks. I'm glad to hear you have flood insurance. I'm a civil engineer and work on dams, levees and flood studies and I hear all to often the horrible circumstances that occur when people don't have the insurance. They will get very specific on what they will cover and what they won't depending on the area of the house the items are located in. For example, if you have a basement, they will only cover washers, dryers and chest freezers & contents. So, if you have a basement and there was stuff of value in it, try and move it up to the first floor before the assessor gets there (under handed I know, but you've gotta play the game). PM me if you have any questions or need any help. Also, if you need/want some help with the cleanup, I'm willing to volunteer a weekend to come down and do some grunt work for a fellow brewer.

Here's a link to FEMA's pamplett regarding what's covered and what's not:
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nfip/summary_cov.pdf

a lot of people don't realize that a flood isn't covered under their homeowners till its to late

Glad to hear that you had coverage at least for the dwelling . The walk in should be covered since it was built into the house and not chest freezer.

Sorry to hear the bad news, but glad your taking it in stride. We lost nearly everything to a fire a few years back so I can empathize with you - its rough, but eventually, when you have fought with your insurance company enough, things have a way of working out.

Thanks everyone and thanks for the link keelanfish. We are going back in today to start salvaging what I can. That pamplet says fridgerators are covered. I took mine out because I didn't think it was covered but only after it sat in knee deep water most all day. I think its going back in the house this AM...

This has been sureal. I have a ton of photos and video from it but haven't had a chance to upload them yet. The water crested in my house at around 45".

Gotta run...

Back